Does anyone know if using an OD pedal on a tube amp a lot decrease the life of your tubes?
It depends, are you going to be cranking it often? If you're playing at bedroom levels most of the time and using an OD, you're mainly working the preamp tubes rather than putting much stress on the power tubes. At bedroom levels, an OD is really only adding more gain to the preamp section. When cranked, you're pushing the power tubes harder and tightening things up a bit with an OD.
I believe it won't. Besides, even if it would, it's not like it's gonna halve the tube life or anything that dramatic.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
yeah, as said, it'll only run your tubes harder if your amp is already cranked. otherwise, it's just sending a distorted signal through the input and just adding on to whatever preamp distortion you already have at low volumes.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Guitarmiester
It depends, are you going to be cranking it often? If you're playing at bedroom levels most of the time and using an OD, you're mainly working the preamp tubes rather than putting much stress on the power tubes. At bedroom levels, an OD is really only adding more gain to the preamp section. When cranked, you're pushing the power tubes harder and tightening things up a bit with an OD.

Yeah, I mostly play at bedroom levels. Theres not too many times where i get to crank everything.