I am having a little bit of trouble playing a scale that im learning. It requires you to play basically like this

The most trouble that I am having is when I am using my pinky, especailly the sixth string, because I never really used my pinky in my exercises. I can play the other parts well.

Lately I have been going back and forth between the third and fourth fret on each string to help train my pinky. Should this help it?

Are you supposed to hold all four fingers down when you play it, or lift them as you go on?

Is it normal for a begginer to struggle with this kind of scale? Did you learn it fast?
Just keep at it and you will strengthen up your fingers. It's perfectly normal for a beginner to struggle at something like this. You need to build up decent finger strength which most people don't have.

I keep my fingers down when I go down the scale and lift them up when I got back.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
That's not a scale, it's a picking exercise designed to get you used to using all 4 fingers independently - therefore it's the perfect thing to be using to improve your pinky skills.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
WTF something amazing just happened
I was practicing the scale for like 15 mins and now can play it down and up. Was not expecting that.

Anyway, now that I kinda know the scale should I attempt keeping my fingers down while I play? Would Crazy Train be a good song to learn to help out me playing on this scale?
When I play this exercise, should my fingers be touching the strings under them? Because it seems hard to stretch your fingers and keep them arched.
Quote by nin3donian
WTF something amazing just happened
I was practicing the scale for like 15 mins and now can play it down and up. Was not expecting that.

Anyway, now that I kinda know the scale should I attempt keeping my fingers down while I play? Would Crazy Train be a good song to learn to help out me playing on this scale?

yes. If your practice, practice, practice, good things happen. Apply that to everything you do while playing anything musicianl and you will be a success. BTW, sometimes it will take more than 15 minutes.

And please for your sake, find out what a scale is.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
In my opinion learn to use the pinky as early as possible, im not saying its compulsory to use all the time but do try to fit it in at least, it is hard at first. Keep practicing you will get it , don't worry.

"When I play this exercise, should my fingers be touching the strings under them? Because it seems hard to stretch your fingers and keep them arched."

I suppose its better not to. but its not too bad to touch the string behind since its not being picked. I wouldnt worry too much about it unless your taking about something different
I know it's a broken record style mantra now, but practice different scales slowly and then build up speed.

I'd also recommend trying going up and then back down with it, that'll increase your hand control, accuracy and speed too.

And as everyone has said, that's actually a chromatic, not a scale. Learn the basic major and minor scales first, then the pentatonics, then maybe the blues scales (if you're likely to use them) and then go nuts and learn some modes and other "exotic" scales.
I find that stretching your pinky to hit a note is always better in the long run than sliding down the fretboard. Gives you quite a bit more strength... I play powerchords with my first and pinky finger so that helps with strength also.
Thanks for the help.
I'll have to read up on some scales.

Are there any ones that are begginer friendly?
Most things are based on the Major Scale so that would be a good place to start. The Pentatonic is good as well. You might as well look up Modes while you are at it.

Chris