Ok... i'm planning on taking 5 advanced highers for 6th year (options have to be done soon) but everyone is saying this is near impossible, i'm not sure wether to just think screw them and do them all anyway but no-one's ever done more than 3 at my school so i'm hoping someone hear has or knows someone who has?

I'm hoping to apply to cambridge after i do my highers and would doing the 5 improve my chances assuming i did relatively well? or is it better just to stick to 4

I'm gonna be doing

Maths
Applied Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Music

Also does anyone know what A level further maths is equivalent to in scotland? Cambridge seems to like that subject and i'm hoping it's covered somewhere in the two i'm taking?
Live life 90 degrees to reality!
You will have no life. Thats really quite crazy taking 5 advanced highers. I mean, even the school smartasses struggle with one or two.
Unless you're a genius you're going to have to give up your life to cover all that.

At Scottish uni's where 1st yr is the equivalent to adv highers/A levels you're only expected to do three.
i took 3 this year, dont take any!!!! or at most 3, no uni epects you to take more then 3
music is fun, im oding well, maths is nails, really really hard, chemistry is doable
i hear physics is pretty hard too
dont do 5!
Do you actually need 5 advanced highers? I'd say only do them if you absolutely must. 5 is just crazy.
RULE BRITANNIA
i have been told by teahcers and older freinds that you should not ever ever ever take maths and physics they both reqire 100% attention to pass. this leaves you les time to stud for you other subjects
I don't need 5 i just don't want to drop music because it doesn't seem like it would require as much effort as the rest (not sure on that though)

Thanks for the advice though might drop music.. not sure though, i have way too much free time with highers and i've been learning bits of the AH maths to make it easier next year hopefully. I don't do much in my spare time anyway, don't want a job or anything either.

Is AH that much of a step up from higher? Cos i've had mixed reports on that kind of thing, some people say they're impossible others not too bad..
Jesus Christ, 5 advanced highers?! Dude, at the most do three, noting that you are a human you will not be able to cope with 5 of them.
Quote by Meteorshower
I don't need 5 i just don't want to drop music because it doesn't seem like it would require as much effort as the rest (not sure on that though)

Thanks for the advice though might drop music.. not sure though, i have way too much free time with highers and i've been learning bits of the AH maths to make it easier next year hopefully. I don't do much in my spare time anyway, don't want a job or anything either.

Is AH that much of a step up from higher? Cos i've had mixed reports on that kind of thing, some people say they're impossible others not too bad..

It depends on your teachers tbh.

I did advanced chem and failed it, then went to uni and got straight As and even a certificate of merit for my course work in 1st year.
Quote by Meteorshower

You'd be surprised. It somewhat depends on the route you take (and as someone previously mentioned; teachers and school). I took midi sequencing with performing and I'm in a pretty tight position with everything, in terms of deadlines.
I'm lucky that my school is a good one, got best for highers in 2005 out of ones you don't have to pay i think, it was something like that, so teachers aren't a problem.

I recognise i probably wont have much time but would it be worth it in applying for cambridge?
the only things i do in my spare time is play guitar (which i do for music so that's kinda school related anyway) and do athletics twice a week
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You'd be surprised. It somewhat depends on the route you take (and as someone previously mentioned; teachers and school). I took midi sequencing with performing and I'm in a pretty tight position with everything, in terms of deadlines.

Our school doesn't offer that, it's just plain old performing with the theory exam

I've already got compositions finished i can use for AH so the time thing wouldn't be an issue hopefully. Anyone know how much harder the theory is?
****, 5 Advanced Highers.

Are you expecting 5 A's on your Highers in May then?

If you think you can do it, go for it man. If it turns out too hard then you can always drop something.
5 advanced highers. That's crazy. I doubt your school would actually let you do that much, well mine wouldn't. I'm taking four highers next year and int2 biology (didn't do standard grade), then doing a few more and possibly some Advanced Highers in 6th year. Does your school know you want to do this much? I mean, they are some very demanding subjects you've got there.
Quote by Meteorshower
Our school doesn't offer that, it's just plain old performing with the theory exam

I've already got compositions finished i can use for AH so the time thing wouldn't be an issue hopefully. Anyone know how much harder the theory is?

It isn't. Essentially the same material, with slightly harder exam questions. With that, and what you said about performing and compositions, it doesn't seem like you'll have much trouble with the subject at all.
To LorenP - yeah they know and they said nothing but "we're not gonna stop you, it's your choice" Also they're the easiest for me, i mean i'd find art or history or something absolute hellishly demanding cos of the way i think. Everyone has their strong subjects

I think i might give it a go if Music isn't gonna be too bad, my theory's good so it might be a good stress reliever subject, really enjoyed higher this year
Last edited by Meteorshower at Mar 15, 2008,
You're better of getting 3 AH as than 5 AH Bs
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish