Hi, I am interested in getting the Gibson Les Paul Studio, and have been looking around for the best prices.

I am slightly confused though, what is the difference between the normal and Faded versions? Apart from the different body finish, I can't see any difference, apart from a £200 different price tag!

Any help is appreciated
i wonder the same thing

but i think there is alot of differnece

and i dont think it would be 200 pounds cheaper without a valid reason
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
mainly just the finish i think

but the studio imo isnt a very good guitar for the price, low quality woods, not the greatest p/us
not the best les paul for the price, your paying the guy who writes gibson on the headstock
its more expensive for gibson to make the shiny finish, than to make them faded, therefore the pricedifference. but i think the faded one looks much better. i even got one of em
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Vox AD30VT
i have a les paul studio and i asked the salesman at a guitar shop and he said the only thing different is the color
For actual facts concerning the wood and electronics used in the Studio please see the thread titled "Les Paul Studio Wood Debate."
Quote by uldhppi
For actual facts concerning the wood and electronics used in the Studio please see the thread titled "Les Paul Studio Wood Debate."

i retract my earlier statement, thanks for the info
but im still not a fan of gibsons, hideously oevrpriced
the difference is the finish, basically by not putting a full coat they are saving alot of money, and imo faded paint makes wood breathe better and makes guitars sound better, ive had a v since i was 15 and the grain is really showing through now and the guitar has more warmth as it ages, studios are a great bang for your buck, great wood, some of the best stock pickups out there, and a solidly built guitar, the main reason gibsons are so expensive is because they are made in the US, simply labor in the US isnt cheap
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
the only difference is the paint. the Studio, imo is the best "bang" for the buck, Gibson offers. it uses the same woods as the Standard, and has the same pick-ups as the Custom. i bought a used Studio a few years back, and loved it, very much!
Quote by GraceKim
I don't believe the faded versions don't go through this process.

Double negative
Quote by stephen_rettie
i retract my earlier statement, thanks for the info
but im still not a fan of gibsons, hideously oevrpriced

I don't think they are overpriced, but I certainly wish they were a lot cheaper. Mine cost me almost a months wages.
Studios are good. I got a rare gem-the only thing that was wrong with it was that the input wire was a little loose and crackled. Make sure you test it thoroughly
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by stephen_rettie
mainly just the finish i think

but the studio imo isnt a very good guitar for the price, low quality woods, not the greatest p/us
not the best les paul for the price, your paying the guy who writes gibson on the headstock

I have to dissagree there. I think it is a great guitar. I have the vintage faded les paul studio and the sound is amazing. the pickups are the same as what are on the les paul standards i think (the burstbuster humbuckers), which usually cost double the price. The feel of the guitar is really great and you get an amazing sustain and tone. The body is chambered so i think this helps there, but im no expert or anything on that. I was a little sceptical before i got mine, and i had read stories on the internet about 'bad craftmanship', but i cannot complain at all. I think the plain mahogany finish is beautiful, and looks a lot better than stock pictures i have seen on the internet. The fretwork was fine, and everything is in order. I got mine for £500 (or roughly $1000) and it is one of the best investments i have ever made. I can definetly say that for the price it is a great guitar. Youre getting the les paul standard hardware at half the price, and youre definetly not just "paying the guy who writes gibson on the headstock". I'd advise anyone to go and have a play on one of them before making a judgement
+Fender 50th Anniversary USA Stratocaster (HSS + S1 Switch)
+Gibson Les Paul Studio (Vintage Mahogany)
+Squier Standard Stratocaster
+Fender DG14S Acoustic Guitar
+Peavey Bandit 112 Amp
I don't really see how a Les Paul Studio is overpriced. It sits right beside the American Deluxe Strat in price and features -- there's a lot more wood used in a Les Paul than in a Strat, too (also, the inlays on Les Pauls are considerably larger than on Strats, so it probably at least costs more for the work). Then comparatively, a Les Paul Standard has a flamed maple top, binding on body and neck and possibly better pickups? Not sure about that.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Mar 15, 2008,