So me and my dad are gonna go on a road trip sometime this week to 3 GC's in Washington (Kirkland, Lynnwood and Seattle) to see if we can get my B-52 AT-112. Now, I hear a lot of people who get great bargains from haggling at GC's. But I also hear people who say you can't haggle chain stores.

Is this true?

As far as I know, GC gives commission to their employees when they sell, so if you tell them that they need to lower the price or you wont buy it, wouldnt they lower it?

Side question:

Any good guitar stores around the Seattle area? (Not too far away please)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
i think its like guitarville, or guitar village, f'd if i can remember where it is tho
google FTW
but ya if you can find it, the had like a dual recto and a great little sound proof room to try stuff
You can preface the conversation by saying "When is the next big Sale event?" The sales person will most likely ask what you are looking to buy in order to see if they could do something for you on the spot. This will get the haggling started. This is easier than asking them straight up for a discount because they can just decline. If you let them ask you what you are buying, they are eager to make a sale that day. Let them know what you are looking to spend and tell them what Amp you are interested in buying. From my experience, if you tell them you are looking to spend just say $500 and the item costs $550, they can get it for you $500 out the door (including tax). This really comes out to $455 +45 in tax = $500. Total savings about $100 or $18%. Not bad.
You can haggle big chain stores, but it really depends on the store, the salesperson you're dealing with and the specific item.

I haggle with the GC I frequent all the time. I've also developed a really good relationship with a few of the people there, lincluding two managers and one very long term employee. It's become much easier for me to get a deal there, and I manage to get some information on how they work.

Different brands (and items) have different amounts of markups, meaning that some items will give the salesperson an ability to play around with the price more than others.

For example (at least in my GC), they have a little more headroom with Peavey amps than they do with Behringer. Behringers have a low markup as it is, so they won't be able to shave off anything of them. Peavey amps are marked up much more in comparison. I was given over $50 off a Peavey, whereas they might have taken $10 off a Behringer.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
alot of factors go in, but yes you can, GC employees are paid on commission so they are looking to make a sale, but at the same time with new items it will be alot harder, for the most part the companies set the prices not GC, mesa is a great example, their prices are set and if you sell a brand new dual for 1300 lets say, your francise will get pulled,so they arent gonna cut you many deals on new gear, used gear and floor models is the best way to go if you want to haggle
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I got my Jem for $1200 don't ask =)
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Check out the thread in Electric guitars... 4 pages of haggling at GC info there...

+1 zillion
lots of info there
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
I searched how to haggle on google. Bunch of results, read a few.

got the basic idea of how to. I'm hoping I can get at least $50 off the peavey c30 new!
My suggestion to you is find a different store...anything but GC, and I'll tell you why in two simple words: Factory Seconds.

The reason their prices seem so awesome is a majority of their stuff is factory seconds or B stock. There's a flaw or blemish somewhere, maybe not noticeable but enough to classify them this way.

I've bought 3 guitars there not knowing this, and each time I've developed problems along the way & I just chocked it up to crappy luck. Then I read more than one article about their dealing in B stock & I told myself "never again." I happened to be in a local GC while waiting for my drummer to get sticks and just for fun I picked up a Yamaha to try it out. Lo and behold, there was problems in the electronics, so I notified a salesman. He tried up & down to convince me it was fine, thinking I actually wanted to buy this thing. Once I pulled another one down and proved I was right, he took it & said he would take it to the back. Then he got a phone call, put the guitar on the first stand he could find, and left it. On the way out, I reminded him & he told me not to worry about it as I wasn't buying it. Jerk........

Yeah, you're gonna pay a little more at smaller stores but chances are what you're getting is first line stuff with less chance of headaches.
Quote by fretboarddragon
My suggestion to you is find a different store...anything but GC, and I'll tell you why in two simple words: Factory Seconds.

The reason their prices seem so awesome is a majority of their stuff is factory seconds or B stock. There's a flaw or blemish somewhere, maybe not noticeable but enough to classify them this way.

I've bought 3 guitars there not knowing this, and each time I've developed problems along the way & I just chocked it up to crappy luck. Then I read more than one article about their dealing in B stock & I told myself "never again." I happened to be in a local GC while waiting for my drummer to get sticks and just for fun I picked up a Yamaha to try it out. Lo and behold, there was problems in the electronics, so I notified a salesman. He tried up & down to convince me it was fine, thinking I actually wanted to buy this thing. Once I pulled another one down and proved I was right, he took it & said he would take it to the back. Then he got a phone call, put the guitar on the first stand he could find, and left it. On the way out, I reminded him & he told me not to worry about it as I wasn't buying it. Jerk........

Yeah, you're gonna pay a little more at smaller stores but chances are what you're getting is first line stuff with less chance of headaches.

I would have to say this is wrong. GC and companies like that make up more than half of the guitar distributing business by my estimates. That means that about half of the stuff made ever is factory seconds. That is wrong. I just think you maybe bought some sub par quality stuff and had problems with it.
Check out Cascade Music in Marysville WA (Its right off of I-5 so its not like it would be out of your way). And yeah from what I have heard GC changed their policy and no longer cut deals with people.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I'm not going to GC for my Boogie. Screw that. Every single GC I dealt with in Minneapolis were a bunch of a-holes.... I'm going to another place, and they are drop shipping it directly to my pickup spot. Essentially, I'm getting it direct from Boogie....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Cash makes a big difference too. It's instant money for them and it's very hard to scam them with cash. Also, be ready to walk. I find it helped once to walk, go drive around for 10 minutes and come back and give them another shot. On used stuff, don't be afraid to quote ebay prices.
You can absolutely haggle them. Just be prepared to walk if they don't get the price where'd you like. I found a guitar that I absolutely loved at one, but they wouldn't move enough on the price. Went to a different GC and was able to knock $100 bucks off a guitar priced at $450, and got a decent gig bag and an extra set of strings thrown in.