Okay in an unexpected turn of events my father has told me he would match whatever i saved up for my Electric guitar and amp...i just got a job so am going to save up about 500 euro and that would be 1000 euro to spend(online probally)

I have been playing Acoustic for about 3 years and i am fairly competitive at that...This is my first branch into Electric guitars etc....I have been doing a bit of research on the basis i had 500 euro to spend and all but decided on a Epi sg and Roland cube 30x

I am still probally getting the Cube as it has aload of effects which i think is pretty cool..
So any advice on guitar and amp..

The music i like...alot of acoustic stuff previously but i like aload a bands like Kooks,Fratellis a bit of pop/punky stuff like blink and green day and killers..
Damien Rice === Legend
If you have $1400 don't spend it on an epiphone sg and a roland cube, that'll put you like $500 in. If your wanting to spend that $1400..

I don't know who the kooks or fratellis are, but you should check out a Used Marshall JCM 900 combo on eBay and then, you'd still have enough to get a used Gib SG, or you could try out a PRS SE model.

and like that dude said, a fat strat would be great too..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
A Peavey Classic 30 and a HSS strat would be a good rig.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
but im really liking the roland cube from the vids i have seen...it has all those built in effects and is idiot proof...
Damien Rice === Legend
Yeah but if you've got that much money why not get a tube amp that sounds better and buy fx separately? I'd get a higher end Schecter and a tube combo amp.
You probably don't have an ear for good sound yet. The solidstate type amplifiers will sound great at first but after a while you'll notice that you could have done better. After playing my tubes, I think the transistor amps sound really screechy and trebely..

The tube amps are much warmer and nicer sounding.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

That is true..i havent spent more than a few hours on electric guitar in my entire life..What would be a good choice for a tube amp and in what way can i get some of the Roland effects with it...I dont want something too loud...30w my limit
Damien Rice === Legend
i would buy a nice fender MIM like the 50's player (around 650$) and a good tube amp...go for a laney LC30II or LC50II,they are great for the money (around 550 euro),good tone and pleanty of power
i duno about this amp stuff....maybe i should just buy a good guitar and a micro cube as a practise amp and save a bit...and then when i get used to the electric get an amp upgrade..

The guitar is important because ill probally have it for the next 5 years
Damien Rice === Legend
take it from someone that already made the mistake of buying a **** amp, you are better off buying things once and growing into them....in the end u save money cus a bad practice amp still costs like 150$,then u have to add more cash to get a tube. plus a good guitar with a bad amp is also a waste of money cus u won't appreciate the quality of the instrument, i played a gibson les paul through a terrible amp and it sounded really bad.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
HSS Strat

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718
Blues Deluxe (Best Tone for the money)

That'll cost like $1100 and you can spend the other 400 on effects (better ones than you'd get on the Roland) and other random things that you'll need to get rocking.
Quote by guitarguy182
i duno about this amp stuff....maybe i should just buy a good guitar and a micro cube as a practise amp and save a bit...and then when i get used to the electric get an amp upgrade..

Thats not a bad idea, buy the microcube to practice on until you save and study, and the cube can still be used for a travel amp.

You can get them for like $75 on ebay.

Quote by guitarguy182

This could be a good idea in my opinion. In this price range, you'll be able to pick up something which will last you a very long time, and as you already play the acoustic, you'll probably have an easier time choosing a guitar which you will like, than an amp.

Great guitar for the majority of the budget and cheap, versatile amp to get you started, then once you've saved up some money again and better know what you'd like in an amp, you can get one which matches your guitar in quality, and by then will probably have a pretty sweet rig!
I'd say Peavey Classic 30 and your choice of a Strat, used Gibson, or Ibanez :P. I don't know how common other guitar makes are outside of America, but Schecter is really popular here.
If you want to spend all that money get something like an Epiphone dot, Peavey classic 30 and some nice effects.

I think you were kind of right thinking about getting a micro cube first though. It wont be anywhere near as good as an all valve amp but you will probably always need a small travel/practice amp and will inevitably buy something similar one day. It's alot of money to spend on your first rig so make sure you make the right decision. Try as much stuff out as possible in shops, try everything from low end crappy solid states to high end boutique this should help you appreciate the differences and importance of amps.

I'd also try to get as much as possible used.
Quote by guitarguy182

I am still probally getting the Cube as it has aload of effects which i think is pretty cool..
So any advice on guitar and amp...

for 1000 euros, you can do alot better. Alot.
Maybe get a japanese Fender strat and a marshall tube amp.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by barangatang
1000 euros equals 1500$...

Now:
1000E = $1556

Keep waiting, it won't be long before 1000E = 2000USD
Quote by guitarguy182

That's a good idea too.

I'd also recommend a Peavey Classic 30 with an overdrive and chorus pedal to get you a whole bunch of basic, different tones.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
but lads you have to realise that things are priced a bit more expensive here than the US at the minute...So just because 1000E = 1500$ doesnt mean that a Fender strat will cost the same..

for example
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
and
http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_mex_std_fatstrat.htm
Damien Rice === Legend
Here's what I think of the Highway.

With an MIM strat, I pay a lot less and I can modify it the way i want, and at the end of the day It will cost me aobut the same as a Highway.

Highway is decent, they are between Americans and Mexicans, But I would take an MIM over it because I get to modify the MIM with my preferences.

Also try looking into Japanese Stratocasters, they are Mighty fine. They are just as good as American Stratocasters.
Quote by guitarguy182

Spend most your cash on a decent guitar and get a microcube...they sound decent for a starter amp

Your not exactly going to be playing gigs or anything and your just beggining so you dont REALLY need to worry about an amp at the moment just get a decent guitar
first of what music/styles do you want to play?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I want to play lightish rock,Indie rock and pop/punk music....Stuff from Oasis,Kooks,Plain white ts and the odd bit of blink etc...

Btw..im well able to play guitar just dont have an electric..Im at the stage now where i can tune by ear etc...

Keep the help coming!! thanks
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by WillPlayForFood
shoot for a nice LTD model and a line 6 amp

LTD model?
Damien Rice === Legend

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
okay...just to get it out there...I HATE metal..So anything geared towards that is a big no-no
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by guitarguy182
okay...just to get it out there...I HATE metal..So anything geared towards that is a big no-no

If you like indie-ish and hate metal, it'd probably be a good idea to go for the Vox that someone above suggested. Also you'd probably like a Blackheart. Those cheap amps would leave you a lot to get a good guitar. Like a Mexican/Japanese Strat or even a Tele.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by guitarguy182
Is the difference in SolidState and Tube really that massive

SS gets all muddy and fizzy if you turn up the volume, while tubes get natural distortion when turned up loud enough.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by guitarguy182
Is the difference in SolidState and Tube really that massive

yes
both clean and overdrive channel have much better tone on low and on high volumes...if u have to go cheap on an amp than look into the valvestate series which is half valve tube and half solidstate...i wouldn't reccomend the fender r series or the marshall mg series. if not buy a small tube like a 15watt vox or a fender blues junior, it's def worth the extra money
At least here in Sweden, American-made guitars are dropping in price. The Gibson LP Studio has dropped from 15 000 SEK to 10 000 SEK in a year. I will probably buy one a new guitar soon.