Okay...so I'm in a quagmire of creativity. So...I'm brushing up on my shred teknique and going to further my jazz soloing and trying out anything new that I can. Here's the problem. I've got scores of books and obviously like a million websites. How do you usually organize your practice space so that you can concentrate? I'm always such a mess I need some opinions thx!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Go through each source one by one and delete or put away the ones you don't find a use for at the moment.
Quote by thegrungyhippie
Go through each source one by one and delete or put away the ones you don't find a use for at the moment.

+1.
Concentrate on techniques within those sources that excell at and perfect them as best as you can. Then move onto the others that you are not so adept at. In my opinion that is the best thing to do.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
It also helps to have a picture of Paul Gilbert up somewhere too.
actually that's a good idea. Put up posters of people I'll never be as good as are in my face. I think I'll look into some guitarist posters.All I have right now is a picture of Dimebag Darrell...and he kinda looks like he's saying "hey man, you don't need to practice, just get drunk and rock on!" Which is what I usually end up doing.

thegrungyhippie: I've actually been thinking of putting together a scrapbook
AngryGoldfish: "perfect" is such a big word for me...I can never tell when a certain technique is "good enough" for me.
RichieJovie: hey thx for the link. I like his 8minutes on, 2minutes off idea.

Any other tips to get a motivational practice space going would help. Practice area feng shui!

btw: this is my practice corner
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by RichieJovie
I think you need a cleaner.
Most definitely. I'm such a freakin' slob.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
actually that's a good idea. Put up posters of people I'll never be as good as are in my face. I think I'll look into some guitarist posters.All I have right now is a picture of Dimebag Darrell...and he kinda looks like he's saying "hey man, you don't need to practice, just get drunk and rock on!" Which is what I usually end up doing.

thegrungyhippie: I've actually been thinking of putting together a scrapbook
AngryGoldfish: "perfect" is such a big word for me...I can never tell when a certain technique is "good enough" for me.
RichieJovie: hey thx for the link. I like his 8minutes on, 2minutes off idea.

Posters is good, but don't become too disheartened when you still suck after a few hours practise, like I do!
Perfection is state of mind dude...just get out that spliff (don't actually do it, I could get in trouble for saying that) and relax. Soon your best will come naturaly!

Quote by AngryGoldfish

Posters is good, but don't become too disheartened when you still suck after a few hours practise, like I do!
Perfection is state of mind dude...just get out that spliff (don't actually do it, I could get in trouble for saying that) and relax. Soon your best will come naturaly!
thx for that...I've always been a lousy perfectionist. As in I want things perfect but get too frustrated when they aren't(not to mention perfection is theoretically impossibkle)

I did that today...trying to mix up arpeggios and modal stuff over some standards and then got sick cause everything sounded like metal-lead. Then I just cranked out the distortion and till I felt better.

Hitting walls suck. I need to find/hang out with some great jazz guitarists so I can get re-inspired through jealousy.

And a dirty practice area = dirty uhhh playing. So I'll have to get on that.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
thx for that...I've always been a lousy perfectionist. As in I want things perfect but get too frustrated when they aren't(not to mention perfection is theoretically impossibkle)

I did that today...trying to mix up arpeggios and modal stuff over some standards and then got sick cause everything sounded like metal-lead. Then I just cranked out the distortion and till I felt better.

Hitting walls suck. I need to find/hang out with some great jazz guitarists so I can get re-inspired through jealousy.

And a dirty practice area = dirty uhhh playing. So I'll have to get on that.

Yeah jamming man, get into that big time! Thats better than any metronome, 10 hour practise routine!

Practise things that are easier, like you say, just rock out. Stuff that you are naturally adept at and excel in, get in front of the mirror and rock out at full volumes. Get used to playing in front of people, become accustomed to the louder volumes and standing up practise. Economies your practise by trying to fit everything in the one session.
For instance, you want to learn the A Harmonic Minor scale, learn it slowly with alternate picking, then shred it as fast as you can with legato, even with mistakes, while standing up. Then tap the same scale an octave above. Then try work out an arpeggio, sweep pattern for that scale. It becomes buried deep within your synapses then and in your muscle memory!
Quote by KryptNet
Okay...so I'm in a quagmire of creativity. So...I'm brushing up on my shred teknique and going to further my jazz soloing and trying out anything new that I can. Here's the problem. I've got scores of books and obviously like a million websites. How do you usually organize your practice space so that you can concentrate? I'm always such a mess I need some opinions thx!
maybe spend a few bucks on some used shelving........scan in and save the fundamental stuff you need and sell off the books......my neatness-nazi neighbor says if you dont use something for a year you probably wont so .....gone.....