Alright, so here's my story.

Just before Christmas last year I bought myself an Ibanez RG350DX. Great guitar and I love it to bits. I paid $410+tax. My only problem with it is that drop tuning is a pain because the edge III is the worst bridge I've ever used.

So then February rolls around and I manage to snag an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (in black) off ebay for the same $410 (that's w/shipping). Now keeping in mind that this was a new guitar with all it's protective films in tact I was expecting a small step forward from the Ibanez.

Garbage pickups (comparatively), garbage tuners, shoddy fretwork, and a poster that doesn't even have a Les Paul on it. Not to mention the sub-par tone.

Anyone else here ever felt raped up the *** with an Epiphone? I mean: How is my basswood (?) Ibanez more ballsy than my mahogany Les Paul?
I used to have a standard epi les paul and i didnt like the tone all that much. at the time i had a squier strat (which i still have) and that epi les paul, and i much prefered the squier. It did put me off les pauls for a while, but i have a gibson now with the burstbuster pickups and the sound is amazing. I guess it all depends on the sound youre after, and which epiphone les paul you get, but personally i wasn't a big fan.
+Fender 50th Anniversary USA Stratocaster (HSS + S1 Switch)
+Gibson Les Paul Studio (Vintage Mahogany)
+Squier Standard Stratocaster
+Fender DG14S Acoustic Guitar
+Peavey Bandit 112 Amp
And comparing it to an Ibanez is unfair, because they put great pride into their **** and get top quality stuff that they can still make profit off.

That's why RGs are so reasonably priced, yet play well and are popular.

For example:

Production notes: Japanese factories like Ibanez seem to get a tan colored, more uniform Basswood while other Asian factories get a more flawed yellowish basswood. And there seems to be a big difference in tone. A clearer, darker Basswood should produce more sound, while the yellowish lower grade seems to have more of the undesirable tonal qualities of Poplar. A hardtail emphasizes the reduced dynamics of the outer frequencies.
i have an epi LP custom and a fender strat, but i almost never play the LP unless im looking for a certain jazz tone
I had an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty Custom(3 humbucker kind) and it sounded great. I had to fiddle with the rest of my set up for awhile but got the sound I was looking for. But then I traded it for my dream guitar. All I have now are strats. I do have to say the paul's are too heavy. My back couldn't take it.
Rig:
'91 Eric Clapton strat w/ MT-2 preamp and piezo bridge system

Lotus '62 Strat replica
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Pearly Gates Pups
Epiphone Sheraton STOCK
Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

Epiphone EJ-200CE

Traynor YCV40T
Traynor HEAD
I've tried the "best" epiphones head to head with a lot of less expensive guitars and they're charging you for the classic Les Paul look, not really the quality...
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
see this is why you dont buy epi ifyou want a les paul, get a burny edwards or greco my burny is a huge leap forwards from my rg350, barely ever play it now
1. eBay, people can say it's new or REAL and you'll get scammed.

2. I've got 7 Les Pauls now, 6 Epi's & a Gibson. I have never had the problems you have stated at all.

3. Epiphone/Gibson are established companies now, do you think they're really care if one person, 20 people, 2000 people don't buy there gear.
They make great instruments, just because you may of got a shoddy one without getting to try it out. Try sending it back and asking for a refund and try go for a PayLess Guitars one maybe?

Edit:
I may seem like a **** saying all that, but it's ebay, what do you REALLY expect from a guitar from there?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

2. I've got 7 Les Pauls now, 6 Epi's & a Gibson. I have never had the problems you have stated at all.

3. Epiphone/Gibson are established companies now, do you think they're really care if one person, 20 people, 2000 people don't buy there gear.
They make great instruments, just because you may of got a shoddy one without getting to try it out. Try sending it back and asking for a refund and try go for a PayLess Guitars one maybe?

Edit:
I may seem like a **** saying all that, but it's ebay, what do you REALLY expect from a guitar from there?

Fine, if it's a fake it's a masterful copy of a guitar that's already fake (wtf?) If it isn't new than it's hardly played. Whatever. Even used it should be better than this.

All I'm saying is that when I got my Ibanez I spent two minutes alone with it in a room playing it on a Spider III. Wasn't exactly me with ten naked and greased unics ceremoniously wandering around the Ibanez factory looking for the 'perfect' guitar.

It was the first one I picked up.

My Epiphone feels alright. It's just the weak hardware. It's sad to plug in my Ibanez and have it roar only to go to the guitar with the higher MSRP and hear a deftly meow.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

Edit:

You comment makes no sense,tons of people buy off eBay every day,my Hag came from eBay and right out of the case was set up nice and plays great! Do you think all them guitars sold on eBay everyday are sold cause eBay guitars blow?
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

Why would anyone want 6 similar guitars from the same brand?

Unless you bought each Les Paul they had (which is also quite pointless) I fail to comprehend why anyone would need that many Epiphones.
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Don't buy a ****ty epiphone off eBay and your good

+1 hey?

Me too!
My Epiphone LP sounds great. It's not as great as guitars that cost 4 times as much, but that's a no brainer. I've played a few different Ibanez guitars in the 500-700 price range and none of their sounds are even comparable to my LP.

Someone just sold you a piece of **** is all.
Quote by twisty571
You comment makes no sense,tons of people buy off eBay every day,my Hag came from eBay and right out of the case was set up nice and plays great! Do you think all them guitars sold on eBay everyday are sold cause eBay guitars blow?

Sure your right tons of people buy off ebay and it all goes smoothly. However there are some scammers who are selling fake guitars or real guitars that have been ****ed up beyond beleife. Hes not saying everyone on ebay does this but there is a good amount of ppl who do so your takeing a risk every time you buy of their. However sometimes it can be worth it and you can get sweet gear for awsome prices but sometimes you can also get ****ed very badly and just because its never happened to you doesnt mean it never happens because it does.
Gear: Peavey 5150 Head
Peavey 5150 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standerd
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshal JCM 800 1960 A Lead Cab

Quote by dcdossett65
I dont think i'd ever buy a gibson, the epiphones dont feel any different to me, besides the sound.
first of all you should never buy your guitars online in the first place.... my epiphone is setup perfect, i just had to try out a bunch
Quote by Caseyizzle
first of all you should never buy your guitars online in the first place.... my epiphone is setup perfect, i just had to try out a bunch

Yeah I don't really like to buy guitars on ebay or anything like that. I would only buy a guitar online from a store, such as Guitarcenter or Musiciansfriend.

I've tried a few good Epiphones, but I know there are also a lot of bad ones and I've seen those, those aren't that great. I guess if you want an Epiphone, you should try it out before and see if you like it.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Yeah I don't really like to buy guitars on ebay or anything like that. I would only buy a guitar online from a store, such as Guitarcenter or Musiciansfriend.

I've tried a few good Epiphones, but I know there are also a lot of bad ones and I've seen those, those aren't that great. I guess if you want an Epiphone, you should try it out before and see if you like it.

exactly right my friend
Well ive had my custom for about .. 3 and a half years now and it's never given me a problem, i know what you mean about the stock pickups though but a switch over sorted that.

Tbh it sounds like you just got unlucky quality control wise ... which is why i never buy online, if i cant get it then i'd rather find an alternative than risk getting a bad quality product without the chance to check it over before i've payed.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Mar 15, 2008,
yea Epiphones aren't that great.
I bought a cheap 100 dollar on and like 3 months later i like was so damaged it didn't even work anymore but I've had my Ibanez acoustic/electric for longer then it and its gone through more damage still works fine.
Last edited by theocao at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by theocao
yea Epiphones aren't that great.
I bought a cheap 100 dollar on and like 3 months later i like was so damaged it didn't even work anymore but I've had my Ibanez acoustic/electric for longer then it and its gone through more damage still works fine.

What do you expect from a cheap 100 dollar guitar? Plus it sounds like you were rough with it. I have had my Epi LP custom for 3 years and it has yet to give me a problem.
My Epiphone Les Paul Custom is pretty good in my book, but it can be hit and miss with guitars made in other countries I suppose.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
I like you avy, TS.

On topic, my Epi Alleykat has better action than my PRS. Hit or miss. And the pickups are quality if used correctly, just too weak for my style.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Mar 15, 2008,
^ Exactly, i've had me Epi. standard for two years or so now and it hasn't given me any problems.

The quality control on the guitars are questionable as i've played one or two bad Epi's myself, however there can be good ones if you look and actually try the guitar.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
uhh, i like mine just fine.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

I have a G-400. I love it for playing Creed.

Maybe I'll do the whole 'Mega Epi-LP' thing and get some new hardware for it. I play lots of Darkness and really like that whole heavy rock sound. Anyone suggest any good pups?
Quote by sashki

Why would anyone want 6 similar guitars from the same brand?

Unless you bought each Les Paul they had (which is also quite pointless) I fail to comprehend why anyone would need that many Epiphones.

3 have Floyd Rose trems, 1 is getting Floyd'ed and a sustainer pickup put in it, different tunings with them, 1 with an acoustic bridge, ect.

I've taken a shine to LP's myself, I can't get used to using a strat as much as my LP's.
They're just my prefered guitar.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
3 have Floyd Rose trems, 1 is getting Floyd'ed and a sustainer pickup put in it, different tunings with them, 1 with an acoustic bridge, ect.

I've taken a shine to LP's myself, I can't get used to using a strat as much as my LP's.
They're just my prefered guitar.

As much as you love them, unless you're a touring guitarist who needs plenty of backups, I don't get why you'd need that many of the same guitar.

Well, your choice. I've always been a minimalist in terms of gear.
Quote by sashki
As much as you love them, unless you're a touring guitarist who needs plenty of backups, I don't get why you'd need that many of the same guitar.

Well, your choice. I've always been a minimalist in terms of gear.

Well I do tour around the North East & the occasional south end playing in bands myself tbh. They all get plenty of playing each themselves anyways, so it's not a problem.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda