Im in a reggae band, i usually just jam chords but i also solo a lot.

im looking into either the standard telecaster or standard strat, both around 500 bucks, which is better for my style of music?
It's not really the instrument, it's what you do with it that counts.

I'm in a reggaeish band as well. I play a bootleg LP and my co-guitarist plays the koa tele.
probably the tele...though I've never thought of any guitar as being extremely "reggae"
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
most reggae i have seen is on a stratocaster, and also, around $500 bucks? when i got mine i got it for $375, new at guitar center
Gibson "THE paul"

I mean... Bob Marley used it... how reggae do you want it? :P

note:
not a LES paul but a THE paul
i hav a les paul......but my mom just threw it on the ground a few days ago...it still plays but its cracked in a couple spots so im gonna try sell it for around 450. and so far my les paul has been giving me a real california reggae sound when i want that roots sound..
Quote by LiL_rocker808
i hav a les paul......but my mom just threw it on the ground a few days ago...it still plays but its cracked in a couple spots so im gonna try sell it for around 450. and so far my les paul has been giving me a real california reggae sound when i want that roots sound..

I'm thinking your Les Paul probably had humbuckers. As you can see Marleys had P-90 pickups.

Personally I would pick a Strat because you can get more sounds out of it and I think it would be better suited. Teles are great guitars but they're more for that twangy California Surf style than reggae. Or if you can find it get a Les Paul with some P-90's.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Telecaster. Really. They're perfect for reggae and ska. I have a strat and it just doesn't give the same feeling as my tele.
The guitarist in the Wailers used a tele, didn't he? That's Marley's backing band, by the way.
Quote by LiL_rocker808
i hav a les paul......but my mom just threw it on the ground a few days ago...it still plays but its cracked in a couple spots

OK - what did you do to deserve that? That is just wrong...

Either guitar - what is essential is the steel drum...
Quote by LiL_rocker808

damn man, what'd you do to your mom to deserve that?

and really, I've seen a guy play reggae with an SG... what really matters is to use a chorus pedal
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Both will do just fine. This is definitely a case where it just comes down to preference.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
my mom is bipolar...i told her i didnt really wanna study extra vocab from this sat prep book and she got into life and how im going to fail and stuff....
Quote by CottageGuy
The guitarist in the Wailers used a tele, didn't he? That's Marley's backing band, by the way.

Naw, I'm pretty sure it was a all Strats and LP's with Marley and the Wailers. Could be wrong though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6U-TGahwvs
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^Yeah he used a strat in the beginning of his career. BTW, what is he doing to get that sound? Is it a wah wah while he's strumming or something?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Whatever you feel works best.. I've seen video clips with the Steel Pulse guitarist/singer playing a Parker, which goes to show that there isn't a 'reggae' guitar.

And Bob used a Strat for some of his albums AFAIK. Rasta Revolution anyway..

Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Stratocaster is the reggae guitar in my opinion.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I think it has to be the strat.

It's just a better guitar IMO when compared to the tele for practically anything.
How about a TC-90? Semi-hollow, double-cutaway "Tele" with P-90s? might be able to find one used.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by JvL
Gibson "THE paul"

I mean... Bob Marley used it... how reggae do you want it? :P

note:
not a LES paul but a THE paul

I'd prefer a MORE paul personally.

I vote tele, but it's entirely up to you. Each of them would be suitable.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
get a gibson lp junior with p-90s(they aren't expensive for gibson) or just get the TELECASTER
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
well im going to the store today to try em both out....by the looks of it...this forum is equally for strats as it is for teles :p more help would be appreciated!
Well, if you're going to try them out, don't bother listening to us and just go and play them.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay