Ok, so the past couple of months I've been playing, I strum by resting my hand on the bridge of the guitar, or the high strings than what I'm playing.

It feels natural, but I know it's not correct.

Sometimes I accidently palm mute, but I'm really scared about trying to learn strumming without having my wrist supported on some sort of pivot point.

It's so difficult to keep my picking hand floating above the strings and I don't see myself being able to get better at it.

Please, tell me what I should do.

If I do continue to prop my hand on the guitar, will I be okay to continue my practicing this way? Or do you think later on I will just grow out of it and eventually end up being more comfortable with floating my hand naturally?

Or will it become a very bad habit and near impossible to break in the future?
well there are alot of amazing guitarists that anchor their hands, it really comes down to preferance, technically speaking its frowned upon, but if you find it more comfortable and you get good with it by all means keep doing it
Your problem is anchoring your hand for picking, not strumming.
Strumming is usually for all 6 strings or whatever.
Anyways no its not a problem alot of professionals do it too.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I rest my wrist on my bridge when i strum, but only when I constantly go from palm muting to not muting.....this way I can just kinda roll my wrist inward and mute and roll it back and not mute....but yeah what everybody else said about preference, it's really up to you....Just keep practicing man, you'll figure it out.
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Quote by fattymcfatten
I rest my wrist on my bridge when i strum, but only when I constantly go from palm muting to not muting.....this way I can just kinda roll my wrist inward and mute and roll it back and not mute....but yeah what everybody else said about preference, it's really up to you....Just keep practicing man, you'll figure it out.

I agree i do it too but you know everybody is different so just keep it the way you do it took me forever to stop played with a closed fist so if you do change your style be prepared :P
Quote by Thomme
Fella's, arguing like this on the internet is like the special olympics.

My Gear
Ibanez RG2EX1
Ibanez GRX20Z
Boss - MT2
Boss- DS1
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah
Strings - Ernie Ball12's
Amp- Behringer V-Tone
Amp- Line6 Spider 3 75w
Is it alright to rest the back of your hand, near the elbow, at the edge of the guitar while picking?
whatever is comfortable yet doesn't keep you from actually playing is okay....
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Quote by Zvahl
Is it alright to rest the back of your hand, near the elbow, at the edge of the guitar while picking?

If the back of your hand is right near your elbow then anchoring your hand is the least of your problems.