Can some one please explain the point of having an EQ pedal and how to use them (like where do I put the pedal in my effects chain or, does it go in the effects loop or not?) I do not see the reason for buying one if there is already EQ controls on my amp (treble, bass, and mid). Also what are some good EQ pedals if I would need to purchase one?
You should really try one to see why. Also, I'd put it either last in line before amp or the effects loop - different effect, try out which one you want. Basically, it gives you a simple EQ control - with a lot of amps the EQ controls are interactive - eg. you increase bass, treble also decreases or something like that. With an EQ pedal you only increase/decrease said band. And also, you get 7(or 10) different frequency bands instead of just bass/mid/treble.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I'm kinda a tone freak so I use Eq everywhere it helps shape your sound alot. like the EQ on your amp can help but if you but a EQ pedal before your disotrion pedal and boost 800 and 400 you'll get a nice midrange bite great for solos and other things where you need to cut through a mix.

now if you put it infront of the disrotion/overdrive pedal it will change the sound. if you have an eq before and after distotion you tone shaping is endless.

btw MXR10 ban eq
Boss GE-7
Danelectro fish'n'chips
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 15, 2008,
So is and EQ kind of like an OD pedal that gives a boost to the treble, but instead the EQ boost mids, lows, and treble? So would I not need to get an OD then?
Quote by Fender_Fever
So is and EQ kind of like an OD pedal that gives a boost to the treble, but instead the EQ boost mids, lows, and treble? So would I not need to get an OD then?

Because some EQ pedals are noisy.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yes they can be used for just a boost But I use them more for tone shaping than for just a solo boost. You don't NEED an OD pedal but it can help shape YOUR tone even more
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I like the GE-7 and the MXR 10 band the most
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
You can use an EQ pedal as a boost by putting it in front of your amp, boost the mid frequencies, and set the volume slider to taste. Put an EQ in the loop for cut/boost frequencies. An EQ is a great tool, but you have to be careful because you can really change the character of your amp, which can be good or bad depending on your amp.
^+1
I like the MXR better. Maybe because i'm not a huge boss fanboy, and the true bypass and extra bands is nice.
If you're on a budget, go for a Danelectro Fish N' Chips
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yah I do like the MXR more but I got the boss for 30 bucks so I was like what the heck lol.

but either would do fine and sound great either way you go.

and if you want to you can get 2 of them put one before and one after your distoriton so you have pre and post distoriton Eqing. Then you can really change what your amp sounds like if you want to
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^30 bucks for a boss EQ? noice.
Once I get cash around (and after I buy my attenuator), i'll probably end up getting like 3 EQ's.

One before my overdrives, one after, and maybe one in the effects loop (if that's possible).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I dunno if you could go into the effects loop you might just get it realy muddy
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Should I still get an EQ if I like the way my amp sounds on its clean channel or drive channel? I don't want to buy a pointless pedal?
if you like the way your amp sounds no you don't have to. but if you want to make it sound better want a solo boost sounds like a certian artist you should get an eQ
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Barber eq is great plus it has three amp voicings. Silver face, Black face and marshall stacked. Nice pedal
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Fender_Fever
Can some one please explain the point of having an EQ pedal and how to use them (like where do I put the pedal in my effects chain or, does it go in the effects loop or not?) I do not see the reason for buying one if there is already EQ controls on my amp (treble, bass, and mid). Also what are some good EQ pedals if I would need to purchase one?

Pedal off: amp driven tone

Pedal on: new tone

Can be useful having two tones to switch between imo.
So, can you use EQ Pedals as a Volume Boost?

And, I'm thinking of getting one too, but I wouldn't know what frequencies I want lower or higher. I guess, I should just mess with it then.

yes you can use it as a volume boost. for like solos you'd raise probably 4 and 800 bands a fair amound nd take down the 1.6 and 3.2 k bands down some then raise the gain level a bit so it gives a nice volume boost and some midrange bite
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 15, 2008,
i find with level boosted +15db and a mid hump, it practically is a tubescreamer.

try one, it'll all become clear
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^^ lol. yes I know what you meant there....Eq makes everything better
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
yes you can use it as a volume boost. for like solos you'd raise probably 4 and 800 bands a fair amound nd take down the 1.6 and 3.2 k bands down some then raise the gain level a bit so it gives a nice volume boost and some midrange bite

I want to use the EQ as a Volume Boost and to maybe make the tone a little better for the solos, but I don't want to make any MAJOR changes to my tone. Would this be possible?

I'm looking towards getting the MXR 10-Band Pedal.
Quote by Mockingbird452
I want to use the EQ as a Volume Boost and to maybe make the tone a little better for the solos, but I don't want to make any MAJOR changes to my tone. Would this be possible?

I'm looking towards getting the MXR 10-Band Pedal.

That's the same I would like to know.
if your gonna do that just buy a cheap one don't spend 120 bucks on a nice EQ yu won't use very often. buy a used one or a danelectro fish n chips that'll work fine for you guys
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
if your gonna do that just buy a cheap one don't spend 120 bucks on a nice EQ yu won't use very often. buy a used one or a danelectro fish n chips that'll work fine for you guys

Alright, thanks! I don't really want to spend much on an EQ.
ok get a Fish n chips then its like 30 bucks
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

Ok. I'll do that. It will leave me with some money left over too because the Fn'C is kinda cheap.
yup....
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era