I popped 2 blood vessels in my vocal cords last july and they healed clean. the doc said i should be able to sing again in a couple of months and it's been about 5 months and i'm an octave higher and I dont have any meat (rasp) in my voice like i used to have. I used to be able to yell (not scream like in slipknot but get alot of aggresion in my voice like stone sour). I talked about this before on yahoo and a dude said I have to retrain my voice. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to retrain a voice. how do i do it? i want my old voice back. I have recordings of my old band's stuff with me singing and i sing along to it cuz i think that might be how to do it but i have no clue. thanks guys
get a voice instructor?
im not much of a singer so i dont know what to do, just sing as much as you can i guess
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
quit singing! yeah thats a good idea since your vocal chords went bitch on ya.
Best thing to do would be to get a singing teacher/coach. You probably won't be able to retrain them by yourself... Make sure you get someone who is trained themselves in the kind of stuff you want to be singing, if you know what i mean...
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
You should probably learn proper vocal techniques instead of retraining your voice to be like it was. There is a reason you popped those blood vessels. You weren't doing it right. Pick up The Zen of Screaming to learn how to properly do the vocals you want.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Yeah i picked up the zen of screaming and learned how to do things properly. technique wasnt %100 percent of the problem for me. it was that i was covering a nirvana song when my vocal cords are in corey taylor's range. i was singing too high when they crapped out.
When I wanted to change the way I sound when I sing, I just experimented with what my voice can do without it being a problem than I worked around that. Dunno if that makes sense. But ya if your doing an aggresive style singing and you screwed your throat up than your doing it wrong whether you sound good or not. I scream and I have had experienced people teach me how to get the most out of your voice and what I learned is don't force your throat or you will wreck it again. Use more of a nasal approach. But I am sure you know this now since what ever happened, happened.
Quote by domino_92
I think hardcore2step has the right idea

Quote by civildp1
Yeah but God won't touch my penis. So it's like, what choice do I have but to turn to women?
Quote by dxpaintball8000
Yeah i picked up the zen of screaming and learned how to do things properly. technique wasnt %100 percent of the problem for me. it was that i was covering a nirvana song when my vocal cords are in corey taylor's range. i was singing too high when they crapped out.

Ah.
Well, don't go out of the range you're comfortable with, until you've properly prepared for it.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
The only thing to do is just sing. Push your range and your limits. I got pretty pissy because I thought about how I used to have a great voice and how I lost it because of a lack of interest in singing + puberty. So I just sang, and I've improved. It just takes time.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by dxpaintball8000

if u destroyed ure vocals its because u were singing from ure throat
sure fire way to destroy ure range
i killed mine too ! i went from like a 3 octave range to 2.... and i cant get them back...
anyways yah singing teachers are pretty good.... and u just kinda have to practice.... do scales and stufff... although not that exciting u will eventually be able to move up note by by note.
u have to sing from ure diaphragm, it takes some getting use too.
A- this isn't the place to discuss it- the singing thread in Musician Talk is.

B- go to a good voice teacher. Teacher, not coach. Teacher=technique. Coach=style. You want to develop a good vocal foundation to reduce the chance of this happening again. Once you've got a good foundation, then worry about style.

C- if the doc you went to wasn't an ENT, go see one.

D- singing thread. Go there.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
How do you even know when you burst a blood vessel in your vocal chords?

I assume it's painful, but I have no idea.
Quote by Delanoir
How do you even know when you burst a blood vessel in your vocal chords?

I assume it's painful, but I have no idea.

When you start coughing up blood. I'd assume most people would go to the doctor, who would then tell them what happened.

EDIT: I'm not actually sure about the whole 'coughing up blood' thing, but I imagine it would hurt like Hell.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by SOADrox429
When you start coughing up blood. I'd assume most people would go to the doctor, who would then tell them what happened.

EDIT: I'm not actually sure about the whole 'coughing up blood' thing, but I imagine it would hurt like Hell.

Your vocal cords arent really that big so when it happened i just tasted blood. I didn't even see any blood in my spit. It didn't hurt either. I didn't find out that something was wrong until the next day when my vocal range was screwed.
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at Aug 21, 2008,