I only have 1 channel on my amp, I know that may be seen as a negative and all but I still like my amp alot regardless, but I was wondering to go from clean to distorted would a nano metal muff do good? Does it sound a fair deal like the regular metal muff? I know- I have a Big muff already, but that doesn't really give me a metal tone, its a sick tone regardless.

If this wouldn't be a good one for heavy chugging and explosive force like Slayer or Pantera, what would be?

Thanks in advance guys.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
i'd say go for the regular metal muff coz it has an eq. i love mine
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
A distortion pedal will do the trick. I'm not a big fan of the Metal Muff, but the nano sounds better than the full sized Metal Muff.
The nano has an EQ just you can't mess with it as much, just scoop high, scoop low, and off. Besides if I wanted and EQ Id go and buy one, the EQ on my amp runs through the preamp tubes so there is a fair deal of difference in useing it already, and I could just go and buy an EQ pedal.

However if the Nano Metal Muff sounds better I may end up getting that, I would check youtube and compare the 2 by the vid.s on there but there are absolutly NO MM nano vids out there, just the full size top boost ones.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
^Are you for serious?
The nano sounds better than the full sized?
How are you getting cleans with your windsor?
Actually, i'd recommend an overdrive or something if you want to retain alot of your original tone. But, you may need something like a metal muff or something along those lines for Pantera stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I can't say enough for the full sized metal muff, it's good stuff. You can, and be patient getting used to the knobs, get good and great metal tone.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
*grr* Its easy it get cleans on a Windsor trust me if you can't, your doing it all wrong, just take your preamp volume down to 1/2 and take your master up to 12, then you roll back the volume on your guitar itself and BAM damn fine clean tone right there.

^what someones going to sig that and try and make me look like and idiot even though its true.

However I'm talking about the nano metal muff not my amp, so is that a yay or a nay on the whole nano vs full sized, because the full sized one would take up a fair deal of space on my pedal board thats already pretty full, I don't want to have to get a monstrious sized pedal board after shelling out the money for one in the first place.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
The full-sized MM is meant to be the best, with the pocket/ini MM a close second. The mini (not the Nano) is meant to be good with the only downside being that it has a toggle rather than a footswitch for the boost
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I'm not too worried about the boost, I have a boost on my amp itself which works just fine for me, and even if that wasn't enough I could toss my bad monkey on the job, its a pretty nice booster.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
The Top Boost i mean, not like an actual boost
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Yeah, I'm not worried about the top boost, its a nice plus that I don't really need for playing rythm in our band. If I was playing lead then I'd be all for it, and if I would want a top boost its nothing my bad monkey or a good EQ couldn't fix.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
^ The Top Boost is a joke to begin with.

Quote by darkarbiter7
^Are you for serious?
The nano sounds better than the full sized?

Yes. I A/B'd all three Metal Muff's through a few different amps - Peavey JSX, Marshall JVM, some SS B-52, and a Peavey VK. I'd take the pocket and/or nano over the full sized MM, that's if I even liked the MM.
I see, so I can work out some good chug with the Nano MM right?
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Euch, I wouldn't use a distortion for your amp's dirt. It'll sound far worse, and you're not going to be able to switch between clean and dirty at all easily using that amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The 5 to 1 ratio is makeing me think it may be possible to go from clean to distorted.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Look at my sig My twin is basically only one channel with 4 inputs all clean tho. I can get just about any sound I need from those pedals. The only thing i'm waiting for is the trifecta fuzz and that should just about be the gamet of tone.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Drewski09
I only have 1 channel on my amp, I know that may be seen as a negative and all but I still like my amp alot regardless, but I was wondering to go from clean to distorted would a nano metal muff do good?

Learn to use picking dynamics and the knobs on your guitar.
Quote by mr_hankey
Learn to use picking dynamics and the knobs on your guitar.

+1000. There is no need for distortions. Maybe an over drive for your leads, but otherwise, that stuff isn't needed.
Quote by CJRocker
+1000. There is no need for distortions. Maybe an over drive for your leads, but otherwise, that stuff isn't needed.

Seconded.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
hmm.. i wonder if a guitar->overdrive->volume boost->amp would work for getting seriously heavy tones on a windsor?

cause an overdrive would make it kinda gritty if the gain on the amp has to kept low for cleans.. if you were to boost the volume on an overdrive it might take it to metallier territory..

Just a thought. not sure if it would actually work.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
hmm.. i wonder if a guitar->overdrive->volume boost->amp would work for getting seriously heavy tones on a windsor?

cause an overdrive would make it kinda gritty if the gain on the amp has to kept low for cleans.. if you were to boost the volume on an overdrive it might take it to metallier territory..

Just a thought. not sure if it would actually work.

I run my windsor with just an overdrive and it does metal fine. Also I can get cleans easily at high volumes. I don't see why everyone finds it so hard.
well there ya have it.

anyway, from what i've heard before not many people buy windsors for their metal tone.. so i wasn't sure how much boosting it would need.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.