Page 1 of 2
do you know if a the Air Force, or NASA, or something like that could create an x-wing that could actually fly?

Any of you smarter guys know if the design would be physically possible to fly?

and if it is possible, why dont we have a rogue squadron of our own?
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

In loving memory of that damn game of poker

Private first class of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Because just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Current jets etc. could probably own an x-wing.
Last edited by Vermintide at Mar 15, 2008,
it wouldnt really look like the actual one, because that wing design wouldnt produce ne lift

but if it was made for space use only, who knows?
I'd imagine the laser cannon and proton torpedoes would be more of a challenge than getting the shape to work, really. And the whole hyperspace drive thing.
yea, the X-wing was made for space. so yes, we could build an exact replica and it would fly in space, but what the hell wouldn't fly in space if it had huge rocket boosters?
It would be possible, but with the wings facing inward and outward, i would guess that they would create lift that would draw away from the X-Wing, which would be impractical for energy. Then, after a while, the force would be too great, and the conflicting lifts would make the wings break off. Also, the less lift from the odd wing positions would require more thrust, which means more fuel, heavier engine, etc. Also, it would be very back heavy, which I think is detrimental to flight, but not sure about that last part.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I may be possible, but it would need: A) a vertical tail fin and B) either elevons or a canard (in non esoteric terms, the wings would need something that controls bank and pitch, or a tailfin near the nose).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
k lets write to congress and request the establishment of a X-wing squadron
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

Quote by cashewchaching
It would be possible, but with the wings facing inward and outward, i would guess that they would create lift that would draw away from the X-Wing, which would be impractical for energy. Then, after a while, the force would be too great, and the conflicting lifts would make the wings break off. Also, the less lift from the odd wing positions would require more thrust, which means more fuel, heavier engine, etc. Also, it would be very back heavy, which I think is detrimental to flight, but not sure about that last part.

But if you fix the S-foils out of attack position, they're just sh*t wings.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
A-Wing > X-wing

genau

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by MightyAl
I'd imagine the laser cannon and proton torpedoes would be more of a challenge than getting the shape to work, really. And the whole hyperspace drive thing.

yeah, they're kinda hard to come by these days.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
A-Wing > X-wing

It's faster and more manoeverable, but it's less well armed and armoured, and it's shields can take much less damage.
It doesn't make any sense. The wings don't give any lift, so how does it fly on the planets? And what's the point of having wings in space? So, no, they wouldn't build something so badly designed.
Quote by nt1440
thats more of a replica

TS was talking about a fully functioning x wing
I know that, silly. It seemed relevant.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
A-Wing > X-wing
Millenium Falcon > everything.
Quote by smb
It doesn't make any sense. The wings don't give any lift, so how does it fly on the planets? And what's the point of having wings in space? So, no, they wouldn't build something so badly designed.

Repulsor coils generate lift, while the main engines generate thrust, both of which oversome gravity and drag.
I have no idea how repulsor coils work, but I'm pretty sure they're not linked to the alluvial dampers.
Quote by turtlemcdoogle
k lets write to congress and request the establishment of a X-wing squadron
I get to be be Red Leader
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by i bleed metal
tie defender > all

Dude, no way, B wing was the most epic!
it didn't even look like a B!

k its designed to fly in space... the wings don't naturally produce lift. yet in space you don't need it cause theres no gravity. thus you would only need a propeller or ROCKET BOOSTERS. but i doubt you'd have strong enough and yet compact enough rockets to equip onto a space ship no bigger than the common fighter plane. the reason the wings are designed into an X while in battle mode is because the spread of the wings allows quick banking turns while in a dog fight. its a good idea and quite practical just not at this current time... its way passed the year 2000 and um i don't own a flying car i say we worry more about that issue
Actually it's from a long time ago
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by rcmaster0072002
k its designed to fly in space... the wings don't naturally produce lift. yet in space you don't need it cause theres no gravity. thus you would only need a propeller or ROCKET BOOSTERS. but i doubt you'd have strong enough and yet compact enough rockets to equip onto a space ship no bigger than the common fighter plane. the reason the wings are designed into an X while in battle mode is because the spread of the wings allows quick banking turns while in a dog fight. its a good idea and quite practical just not at this current time... its way passed the year 2000 and um i don't own a flying car i say we worry more about that issue

Wing shape wouldn't make a difference in space, there not being enough matter to produce any drag.
The S-foils are just there to look cool.
i love that fact... A LONG LONG TIME AGO, YET SOME HOW IN THE FUTURE INCEST ALMOST HAPPENED. mightly al i agree with you in retrospec... the idea of the xwing was a cross between what relates to atmospheric vehicles (and the laws pertaining to them) and science fiction of whats possible in space THE FINAL FRONTIER
They could definitely make one that would fly in space, but it would expensive as hell and terribly inefficient, but in A New Hope I know they showed them flying in atmosphere, and as a pilot I can assure you that is impossible.
If you really want to know, then No, it couldn't fly. at least not in a straight line.

1.)The wings are too far back. they create a huge moment around the Centre of pressure, which will cause the nose to constantly point up

2.) The wings are too small, and there wouldn't be enough surface area to create sufficient lift to counteract the weight.

3.)Those wingtip cannons would create HUGE vortices, which leads to massive induced drag. This would slow the craft down tremendously.

4.) The S-foils are too close together-they would cause the airflow between the two foils to become turbulent, causing stalls.

I'm studying Aerospace Engineering and that is my prelim analysis However, im only in my first year, so there is a chance that I could be spouting bull****. If you really want, I could ask my lecturer(s) but the one I'm thinking of would probably just stare at me contemptuously until I shrivelled up from the heat of his glare.

Are there any other Flight engineers in the pit? Because if not, I'm going to stick UG's only Aero engineer below my name
Quote by LordBishek
If you really want to know, then No, it couldn't fly. at least not in a straight line.

1.)The wings are too far back. they create a huge moment around the Centre of pressure, which will cause the nose to constantly point up

2.) The wings are too small, and there wouldn't be enough surface area to create sufficient lift to counteract the weight.

3.)Those wingtip cannons would create HUGE vortices, which leads to massive induced drag. This would slow the craft down tremendously.

4.) The S-foils are too close together-they would cause the airflow between the two foils to become turbulent, causing stalls.

I'm studying Aerospace Engineering and that is my prelim analysis However, im only in my first year, so there is a chance that I could be spouting bull****. If you really want, I could ask my lecturer(s) but the one I'm thinking of would probably just stare at me contemptuously until I shrivelled up from the heat of his glare.

Are there any other Flight engineers in the pit? Because if not, I'm going to stick UG's only Aero engineer below my name

man i wanna study that so badly!!
Quote by CoreysMonster
man i wanna study that so badly!!

Mate, I cannot tell you how awesome it is to have people call you a rocket scientist.

I get a warm feeling inside, even if we are just a bunch of nerds with no social life.
Screw that i'm modifying my own YT-1300 light freighter, Millennium Falcon anyone?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i don't think normal aerodynamics applies here, since when they fly in the atmosphere they seem to have a VTOL system of some sort that puts them into space, where the shape of the wings and weight of the vehicle wouldn't hamper its flying.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Screw that i'm modifying my own YT-1300 light freighter, Millennium Falcon anyone?
Soooo fifteen posts ago, dude.
The question is, can the Chinese build something resembling a moon that we can use it on?
^ yeah we do
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

TS, please specify whether you want these tings for use in space or air. That drastically changes the feasibility of the desgn.

Oh my god. I can't believe I just said that.

I'm such a nerd
Page 1 of 2