I've been looking around at different amps and taking myself in all directions. Posted the odd Q in the amp Q&A thread, but thought I'd start a separate thread.

Had thought about the Grainger deal that Dave put me onto, but that has gone now.

Then I started looking at 5W Epi VJ's or similar, with the idea to mod them, but I keep hearing that these type of 5W tube amps aren't really going to cope with much more than rock.

I'd like to have the option of playing some metal, although nothing up to death metal heaviness.

I play at home at the moment so no need for a huge amp.

I'm thinking 15W??

What will the cut the mustard with stuff like Metallica for around £200, new or used?

I was looking at the Laney LC15, as I've heard with a decent OD pedal this can give a nice tone with enough drive from the pedal to do metal OK. Is the LC15R worth the extra over the LC15?

Other than that I'm thinking maybe a used Peavey Classic 30?

I'm after any other suggestions of tube amps in this price range that have a bit of gain.

Or SS if I'm barking up the wrong tree!!
This Palomino is a really good amp, its 15 watts I believe. Would be great for metal and rock with a good Overdrive.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

This is a standard for the most part too but its got more wattage
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

This wouldnt be bad either, but its a little more.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LC15-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481329
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Last edited by Dark_Raven10 at Mar 15, 2008,
what is £200 converted into $? Sorry I don't know, dont flame me for my ignorance plz.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Its practically double.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
This Palomino is a really good amp, its 15 watts I believe. Would be great for metal and rock with a good Overdrive.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

This wouldnt be bad either, but its a little more.

Theyre the same link
And Palominos aren't sold in England...
Look into a used Randall RG50TC maybe?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I see, Peavey Valveking 112 is pretty good and within the price range, thats my suggestion.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
I have a peavey classic 30 built in 96 (it's u.s. built, and I know these are a little better quality) but I got it two years ago for 300 dollars, which is only about 150 pounds. I have a metal muff that I use if I need to do metal, as the built in overdrive will not give you enough to do metal, but hell, with a little help from a good pedal like the metal muff or tube screamer or i don't know (i've found the metal muff to be absolutely best for metal), you can achieve metal tone at the click of a button.

Honestly I can't say enough about these amps, keep in mind, I have an OLD one, and these are famed to be built better, and I haven't played the new ones so I can't directly compare, but I've played (while searching for a good tube amp for me) sooooo many amps in about this range, and a little above, like the Fender HRD, Crate Palamino, and Fender Blues Deluxe. I found the peavey was the best bang for your buck. Keep in mind I'm not crazy about many other peaveys, but this one does the trick. I later bought an HRD, but that is basically only for cleans.

Bottom line: Peavey classic 30, one of the most versatile and well priced amps there is (that I know of) and if you can find an old TWEED one used, then do it. they have very good volume control as well, I can't play my HRD in my room, but the peavey has no trouble keeping it down. It also gets loud as well, but I admire it's range of volume.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Peavey Classic 30 is something I'm considering, but they are just within budget if I go used. I presume they'll still need pedals though?

Is a 30W tube amp not a little loud for home use? My current Carlsbro SS 50W amp seems quite loud, especially difficult to keep quiet once you turn the gain up.

I'll look up the Randall, is there a lower wattage version?
No, the Randall is only 50 at the smallest. Most metal amps are high wattage to be honest - you'll struggle to find a low wattage amp designed for the metal player within your budget...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Hallsy
Peavey Classic 30 is something I'm considering, but they are just within budget if I go used. I presume they'll still need pedals though?

Is a 30W tube amp not a little loud for home use? My current Carlsbro SS 50W amp seems quite loud, especially difficult to keep quiet once you turn the gain up.

I'll look up the Randall, is there a lower wattage version?

To do metal, it would need something like a metal muff, I said stuff about that in the giant paragraph i wrote, but bottom line, for metal, yes, for pretty much everything else no. It's very versitile compared to many tube amps in the same quality range.

I addressed volume in my previous post as well. volume is EXTREMELY controllable. I use it in my room quietly ALL THE TIME. I have a problem in my Fender HRD in not getting practice volume, and I have been having trouble fixing that, so I know volume trouble, but the classic 30's best feature is it's very adjustable volume.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
The Fender HRD has an obnoxious volume control. I believe you can get it modded so it works as a normal volume control would, but I've yet to do so. It's very touchy in that from 0 to 1~2ish, it jumps REALLY high. From 3 to 5 there's not much difference, but jumps up again when higher than 5. Those numbers are off the top of my head though so don't quote me on that. All I know is that while the HRD is a great amp, the volume control is a bit dodgy. It's nothing you can't work around though.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Yes, i know, I've done a lot of digging to come up with a solution to my problem.
It's the pots on the master volume. They're linear, you could replace them with audio taper, but I'm not going to dig around in my amp and **** something else major up because of that small problem. I don't have the money for an attentuator, but a volume box (dunno if you can look it up) it's basically an audio taper pot in a box that goes into the effects loop. I hope it'll work. won't help with tube saturation, but i'm givin it a shot.

Speaking of tube amps, I have a JJ ECC88 in mine with the other two preamp groove tubes, does anyone know if this is a good combo, or not? Also, would getting a paired tubes make much of a difference in the quality of overdrive i get? it sounds not so good right now, I'm thinking it's something with the preamp tubes.

Is the JJECC88 supposed to be a low or high gain tube?
]

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
if you are playing at home just get a pod.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
I'd go for the VK112. Decent value, pretty versatile.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Hallsy
Is the LC15R worth the extra over the LC15?

If you do go with the LC15, which is a great amp imo (check out the sound alone with no pedals here!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnfCrG3F0NI) then dont bother with the LC15r. I have it and im still saving up for a reverb pedal. The reverb is awful!
It would probably need a pedal for metal though.

It does depend mind, because you lose an FX loop and a line out if you go for the LC15, so it might be worth the extra if you need those.
Thanks for the advice guys, at the mo I reckon I'm looking between an LC15 and the Classic 30. Obviously the Peavey is the better choice but it all depends on what comes up within budget. Then I'll be in the market for a pedal.

Strat212, sorry I didn't read your post thorougly enough, I'm full of cold at the moment and struggling to concentrate!!
In all honesty, with £200 I'd just get a Cube.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
maybe a jcm900? on ebay they seem to go for around 250 for a 212 combo, and there is a 112 coming up to its finish now, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320226536702&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011 which might end up around the 200 mark, maybe a little more. you could stick in a cheeky bid perhaps or just watch, see how it ends and get a sense of the prices these things go for.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Valveking 112, I have it, its a great amp for the price, great sparkly clean channel, ok reverb, decent overdrive and can do good metal tone with the gain boost on. And Im sure some effects pedals would complement it nicely, because the clean channel is very good imo.

Or Bandit 112 if you want a excellent solid state for a few less £.
A cube is what I considered if I went SS, but tbh I like my audio stuff, and I'm starting to think that I'd rather have an amp that is decent and creates a decent tone without any modellng, etc, then for effects use pedals. That way you are using separate items that are designed with one thing in mind, rather than trying to be a jack of all trades.

A few people are mentioning the VK112 so I'll try to get listen of one.

JCM900 would be nice, didn't realise they went that cheap
^yeah, i mean, a completed listings search throws up

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-jcm900-2x12-50w-guitar-amp_W0QQitemZ290212977148QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so its certainly possible for them to go for that sort of price, so i'd say with enough patience it should be possible to snag one at a reasonable price, though it would be more than £200; but i'd suggest it might be worth saving up the extra £50 or whatever and getting something like this if the alternative is a cube.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Hallsy
Thanks for the advice guys, at the mo I reckon I'm looking between an LC15 and the Classic 30. Obviously the Peavey is the better choice but it all depends on what comes up within budget. Then I'll be in the market for a pedal.

Strat212, sorry I didn't read your post thorougly enough, I'm full of cold at the moment and struggling to concentrate!!

no big dude, don't think anything of it, I'm glad someone posted this thread, people have been throwing some good ideas around.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist