I tried to learn how to play Violin, but, needless to say that FAILED!!! I know you can play guitar with a violin bow, but when I try it, it sounds bad!!! Does anyone have any tips? Is there a trick to playing like this, other than playing well?
Why?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
because he wants to sound sexy like jimmy page.

i dont know how to do it though, i play violin and my bow is to expensive to mess up on guitar strinsg (they do get messed up).
well it isn't supposed to sound good so much as its supposed to be "Holy crap he's playing with a bow!"

jimmy page was the only success playing like that because he was the first to do it.
Why would anyone want to do it.
It sounded awful when Page did it!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Why would anyone want to do it.
It sounded awful when Page did it!
because looking cool is what guitar playing is all about
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
I can do the 1st and 6th strings fine, althouth the 1st(The tiny one) I usaully end up hitting the 2nd string too.
Don't do it. It sounds terrible and desroys your bow. If you really want to do it, buy an E-bow.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Cello bow should work better, it's somewhat "stronger" and less liable to bend/break.

But because the strings aren't raised very high from the actual guitar body, usually it's easier to play 6-string chords with a bow. It's still hard, though.
YOU are wrecking a bow. Some dumbsh** from jazz band had the audacity to pick my cello bow from my practice area and play it on his guitar. BAD IDEA. I smacked him. And I got away with that because I was lead sax.

Bows are made from horse hair. they can break. If you haven't noticed, your strings are roundwound. Violins, Violas, Celli, and Double Bass all have flatwound strings for a reason- to not destroy bows (plus tone reasons).

Not only that, but rosin is used on bows, and that can mess up your strings.

So unless you own the bow, and do not care if you eff it up or your strings, then go ahead. If that bow belongs to anyone esle, be prepared to get the sh** beat out of you and pay to restring or replace it.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
I own the bow, it's mine, ****er. Now I've come up with a melody that sounds pretty good. As soon as I can I'll record it, so you guys can hear it.
Quote by archenemy_no.1
I own the bow, it's mine, ****er. Now I've come up with a melody that sounds pretty good. As soon as I can I'll record it, so you guys can hear it.

I am telling you has it is, leave the names out it. If you were messing around with someone elses stuff, they will be angry. If you are doing it to your own stuff, then you are ruining something.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Alright I got a recording up. It's not perfect, but it's good enough. Tell me what you think. Just click my name.
Haha If someone tried using my bow for that, they'd rue the day they were born . . .

Fortunately I have a small, old cheap one

I personally like the sound it makes - very ethereal and insubstantial, depending on effects used. Good for volume swells too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
i skipped half this thread because the first bunch of responses were useless and ****ing stupid. if you want to do this, i would recommend trying a cello bow as opposed to a violin bow, it should work better. use lots of rosin, and raise the action on your guitar. Jonsi Birgisson from Sigur Ros has a specially adapted bridge to aid in his bowing, and uses a lot of reverb, tho that could be more to attain the sound he wants. if you want to shred with a bow, i think you may have a very hard time, but you can create some great sounds with simple rhythm playing with a bow
An Irish group named Mama's Boys had a fantastic instrumental called the Professor where they used a bow,... My copy is currently stuck in a cd player upstairs but if I can get it out I'll put a copy somewhere to hear.

Not something I've tried yet even though I have a bow. Aren't your strings going to be limited because you won't have an arched bridge like a violin? I would imagine you can only use the top two or bottom two.