Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Marshall JCM 800 30 watt combo
15 41%
Ceriatone Plexi Combo-18 or 30 watts
22 59%
Voters: 37.
For decent cleans, Slash-esque tones, and Hendrix-esque tones, which is the best?

Edit-Originally I didn't have the Marshall in the title-some people thought I meant a Ceriatone JCM 800. Well...I mean Marshall.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Last edited by mydogpoops at Mar 15, 2008,
Slash and HEndrix are two different things. Jimi used Plexis. Slash used JCm 800s

The JCM would probably do better for you though

I personally like the Plexis.

The JCM 800 DOES NOT have a clean channel
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Plexi.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Bostonrocks

The JCM 800 DOES NOT have a clean channel

You don't need a clean channel to play clean.

Also, I didn't even know they made 30w JCM800's

There are just too many things wrong with this thread to comment on.
yah I know that But i Think he want a dedicated clean channel
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Essentially this:

Hendrix=Plexi

Slash=JCM

Thus, Plexi>JCM
Just kidding, but I think a plexi is a good idea for both. He'll nail some Hendrix tones, and with the correct setup, he could probably get a reasonable slash tone. And, you can reverse it and get a JCM and nail slash's tone, and get some hendrix stuff too.
Just take your choice.
I still recommend the plexi though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 15, 2008,
^Isn't that what I said at the very start of this thread? lol

I still like the Plexi also but I dunno
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^Basically.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
what the heck! where is your avatar lol.....I do believe i'm gonna change mine.....I've gotten bashed so many times lol
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Someone wanted me to change it back.
Relax, I have it saved, so I can put it back up. I'm not sure if everyone likes seeing my ugly mug all the time . I just switched back to the kitteh.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
lol. you look at it that way. But I'm proud of it so yah
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Ok, thanks, and I'm pretty sure they do make 30 watt JCM 800's. But can we get back on track? And wouldn't one of the two channel JCM 800's have a clean channel?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

yah sorry. yeah Ceriatone makes a 30w JCM800.

I didn't know they made a2 channele one though
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If the JCM800 is a two-channel then I say go for it. Plexi's are single channeled, and if it has a lot of watts its going to get crazy loud before it breaks into distortion.

Although, I like the Plexi's cleans, it's delicious. But I like the JCM800's distortion and cleans too.

But that's just my opinion.
Oh crap...I didn't know Ceriatone made a JCM, so I didn't put Marshall...except on the poll...crap.
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by mydogpoops
Oh crap...I didn't know Ceriatone made a JCM, so I didn't put Marshall...except on the poll...crap.

You should at least edit your first post saying that you meant Ceriatone or something like that.

(Sorry for this off topic post, just trying to help a fellow member)
Sorry about that, its been changed.
Quote by darkstar2466

Would you recomend a Ceriatone over a Marshall, also? This is in general, I'm on the site right now looking at a few of the amps.
Quote by darkstar2466

^Not sure.
Ceriatone seems to be a bit more vintage-faithful than modern marshalls.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I meant over one of the classic JCM's, off of ebay.
Quote by darkstar2466

the ceriatone plexi will probably be closer to vintage specs then some of the marshall cause of how they're made plus they cost about 800 dollars less then a JCM800
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Couldn't you just throw a Tubescreamer in front of the plexi and it would help with the Slash tone?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
yah that would probably work just fine.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
First off, the Jimi thing. He used a LOT of different amps - quite often Fender Dual Showmans live, and tweed Twins in the studio - but the Marshall he used the most was a JTM - not a Plexi. As far as something that'll do both, be aware that a Plexi runs EL34's vs. the JTM working 6L6es (5881s) - this is a huge difference.

You can definitely get an approximation of a JCM800 with a front loaded Plexi. And put a Strat on the front pickup or front + mid, it's hard not to get something sounding like Jimi on an (undimed) AC30 or a Twin OR any of the Marshalls you're discussing. But if you want Jimi's Marshall lead sound, JTM45 all the way, cranked cleanish without pedals, with a Fuzz Face (germanium! I use the AnalogMan SunFace) in front of it. Control overall fuzz level with your volume knob (and be careful not to kill yourself with that volume boost kicking it on). That's the ticket there.
^The thread has been dead for OVER A YEAR!

Don't post in dead threads!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009