Poll: Which guitar? (Read the post first)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar? (Read the post first)
Les Paul Studio (or other Gibson)
85 47%
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
95 53%
Voters: 180.
Page 1 of 3
Dear UG,
I'm getting a new guitar soon, and I have around $1200 U.S. to spend. I went to guitar center to try out some guitars and I fell in love with 2 guitars, the American Deluxe Telcaster: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Deluxe-Series-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-511147-i1146734.gc
And the Gibson Les Paul Studio:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-100161084-i1149146.gc

I play Classic Rock, and Love the fat tone I get from a LEs Paul, but I also loved how the tele played and like the cleans a lot more. Idk if its just me, but I play faster on maple fretboards. My main influences are David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) Jimmy Page(Led Zeppelin) Eric Clapton, and Hendrix.

I already have a strat, but I never use the single coils. I use The bridge humbucker, NEck/Middle, and Neck/Bridge humbucker (I have a neck on switch) So I only use the humbucking settings. Same with the Tele, I only used both pickups together, with or without the S-1 switch, or the bridge when I wanted a really twangy lead. So Is the Les Paul better for me, or the Tele.

Also, feel free to reccomend a variant of the guitars I have posted. (I am only looking for a gibson or a Tele, and it MUST have 22 frets).
Go with the telecaster. It seems to be more suitable with your influences and if you love the feel and how it plays i would say that should be your guitar.
Free Mumia
i have said before that the american deluxe tele may be my favorite guitar ive ever played. to me, fender necks are much more comfortable than gibson necks, especially the fat 50s profile that comes on the studio. however, i do find the slimmer 60s profile necks fairly comfortable, but still not as much as a fender neck. i guess i kinda have a bias for maple necks too, as i seem to play faster and move around easier than on finished gibson necks.

however, since you seem to like humbucker tones better than single coil tones, maybe look for a guitar with dual humbuckers and a maple neck?
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
hendrix played a strat. page plays les pauls mostly. don't know about gilmore or clapton but i would have to recommend the paul. if your up for a little modification then you could put coil tappable pups in it and have the best of both worlds.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
if you never use the single coils on your strat, its obvious. Go with a Gibson.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Yea, I love how the Studios pickups clear up when you roll down the volume. its so nice. I just wish that the studio had binding of some sort... My favorite les paul is a honey burst Les Paul Classic.

I wish they made teles to have the same sound as Les paul's, because to me, the tele plays a little better but I like the tone of the Les Paul more.
Tele since you like a lot of people that have used single coil more than humbuckers.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by ortrigger
hendrix played a strat. page plays les pauls mostly. don't know about gilmore or clapton but i would have to recommend the paul. if your up for a little modification then you could put coil tappable pups in it and have the best of both worlds.

gilmour played strats
cream-era clapton played an sg, later he moved on to strats

like people have said, go with a guitar with humbuckers
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
I know Gilmour played with humbuckers on a few songs. Clapton also played a Les Paul earlier. So yea, I'll get the Les Paul.
Go for the Les Paul man, should suit your playing style more since you prefer the fatter tone of humbucklers.Its a very nice guitar and good tone, and if you like classic rock, Les Pauls are good =)
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Screw the studio, you get more of a value out of the BFG, you'd just have to change out the knobs and that's not going to make that much out of your pocket.
Tele all the way....LP studios are disappointing, plus, you'll get nice sounds out of that tele.

Page and Clapton both used telecasters when they were at their their best.
But, if you want an LP, I'd get save up for a standard....

If you want a nice twangy vintage 60's sound, go for the tele.
If you want a more, 70s heavy rock fat sound, get the LP.

But remember, the quality control of the studios are very dodgy, so I would try one before buying it.
Wakisazhi: The BFG has a P90 in the neck, doesn't have inlays, and has really crappy finishes. I don't really like it.
get the tele. even though you said you already had a strat and want a guitar with humbuckers, the tele is 10x better than the any strat and ....is just awesome.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Mike!

If you want a nice twangy vintage 60's sound, go for the tele.
If you want a more, 70s heavy rock fat sound, get the LP.

That's exactly my dilemma, I don't know which tone I like better. My tone usually is more 70's style, my favorite rock era was the 70's. So that's why I'm thinking a lot more about the LP.
Quote by Flying Afros
get the tele. even though you said you already had a strat and want a guitar with humbuckers, the tele is 10x better than the any strat and ....is just awesome.

I knwo the tele is better than strats. I will get flamed for this, but I dislike strats, except for really good ones.
Quote by Grimpenguin
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/602055171.html

how does that studio have a flame top?

I don't have the money now, but if I did I would sooo get it.

I believe it's Studio Plus: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=les+paul+studio+plus

Quote by Mike!

Page and Clapton both used telecasters when they were at their their best.
But, if you want an LP, I'd get save up for a standard....

I'm sorry, but I don't think Clapton ever used a Tele, and Page only used his for some in the studio stuff (rarely live). Either way, Clapton was SG then Les Paul then Strat.

Correction: Page used the Tele during the Yardbirds, though I wouldn't call that at his best...
Last edited by Habit Zero at Mar 15, 2008,
its not the plus, the plus has white pickup rings, toggle, trusssrod cover, it has binding, and it has top hat knobs. the one I posted doesn't. the guy even gives a link of what type of guitar it is.
Quote by Grimpenguin
I knwo the tele is better than strats. I will get flamed for this, but I dislike strats, except for really good ones.

Dude, i don't like strats either! Lets start a club.

BTW, i love Teles
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
Dude, i don't like strats either! Lets start a club.

BTW, i love Teles

Yay! another person just like me! We should start a club...how do you make one?

Ontopic: does any1 know how that studio I linked to has a flame top?
I love LP's but if I was a pimp like you, I would get the Tele.

I play that guitar every time I go to GC and I live across the street from one.

I can't come close to spending $1.2K on a guitar, but if I could it would be a MiA Deluxe Strat in Vintage white, not sure how anyone could try and not buy one if you got the $.
I'm 14, I'm only getting the 1.2k over the summer because I managed to get a job for 7 bucks an hour (its $1.50 under minimum wage ) and I need a new guitar, badly.
Quote by Grimpenguin
I'm 14, I'm only getting the 1.2k over the summer because I managed to get a job for 7 bucks an hour (its $1.50 under minimum wage ) and I need a new guitar, badly.

not as bad as me. i play a gio series ibanez.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by Grimpenguin
I play a squier mini.

oh. never mind then. ya you really do need a new guitar. i stand by my recommendation though. les paul is the way to go. just make sure you play it first so that you'll know if it's good enough construction to last. like whoever it was above me said that the quality control on the studio's is a little lacking so just be careful with them.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
i really dislike the standard tele pickguards. get one with one of the other ones.
Gibson will give you the best sound for Rock.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
yep I plan on playing a lot of les pauls studios, but if I find one with some flame on it I'll be really biased in my decision lol.
i love how everyone with a fender tells you go tele and all gibson owners say LP!

i think you need to decide whether cleans or durrrty is better for you, and i'd go with dirty, and you already know who wins that. i think LP is going to be more versatile in the long run.

i'd also consider tele because at that level fender quality is probably higher than gibson, plus you get the maple neck that you like so much. however, if you ever wanna play dirty, les paul is definately the way to go.
It's all about feel
yea, so far I've only played the tele, and its REALLY nice. I have yet to play any other studio other than my friend's which is also equally nice. better tone out of the studio, better playability out of the tele.
Well..If asked "Gibson or Fender?" I'd say Gibson without any hesitation...However the tele just seems to suit your influences so much more than a les paul..Even though i know page played one..not muchh help for you when the polls 50%...Hope you're happy wiithh your decision in the end.

Cheers
I'd get an epi Les Paul and a MIM tele then upgraid the pickups and pots in both. It'll cost you about the same amount but you will have two fantastic sounding guitars instead of 1 good one.

Gibson themselves say that their guitars are not meant to be played, just collected. They say that if you want a "players guitar" you need an epiphone because they are more versital, easier to adjust, and the tonewood in them is better for good tone even if it doesn't look as good.

The MIA fenders just too damn expensive for what you are getting.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 16, 2008,
I'd get an epi Les Paul and a MIM tele then upgraid the pickups and pots in both. It'll cost you about the same amount but you will have two fantastic sounding guitars instead of 1 good one.

Agreed. I'd get 2 cheaper guitars, a LP and a tele, then replace the cheap bits. Then you've got the best of both worlds.

But I don't have $1.2k to blow on music. =(
Page 1 of 3