who do you consider really gd bass play players but only uses picks,
i am getting lot of stick at college for using pick more than i uses fingers, thats all.
Justin Chancellor from TOOL almost exclusively uses picks and he's awesome. Comes up with some of the most unique bass lines in rock.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
i had all that stick aswell, just bust the musicianship card in their face. a good musician can use a range of techniques and that includes a plectrums.

although i'm not a fan of tool justin chancellor is a good bassist who plays with a pick and john entwistle has been known to bust out the pick on occasions
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Matt Freeman of Rancid (Entwistle was his idol BTW but he didn't exclusively use the pick. (as a matter of fact Freeman uses his fingers sometimes))
Mike Inez from a lot of bands - i admire his work especially on the first Snakepit album
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Duff Mc'kegan (sp?) exclusively uses and pick and he is definitely very good. Justin Chancellor is an obvious choice, especially as he is one of the most unique metal bassists around. Mike Dirnt, despite what many people say, is actually very good, and is in one of the biggest punk bands of all time, whether people like to admit it or not. Jason Newstead almost always plays with a pick, and despite what many people say he is actually a very good musician. He was undervalued in Metallica which was a shame.

You could also argue that playing with a pick is a definite part of good musicianship, and there are lots of amazing bass players that often, but not always, use picks, including: Flea, Chris Wolstenholme (Muse) and Ben Kenny (Incubus).
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Flea, Chris Wolstenholme (Muse) and Ben Kenny (Incubus).

Dirk Lance > Ben Kenny by a mile
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Didn't know Flea used one.

Also, Chris Wolstenholme only uses a pick on a few songs, and just started doing that... don't know if that still counts.

Mike Dirnt uses picks, and he's pretty good.
Roger Waters used picks, not sure if he did all the time though.
Oh damn, I can't believe I forget Roger Waters.

He's used exclusively picks since 1969.
Marcel jacob uses picks, he is a very good and underrated bassist.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Tom Araya from Slayer uses picks nowadays, but he used to use his fingers back in the early 80's. He's pretty good (IMO) if he can play at those speeds and manage to sing.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Chris Squire

That is all you need.

he's right... if you can learn Round-About using a pick. just as squire does, then your a champ. also green days bassist mike whatever uses a pick and the bass line to when i come around is pretty killer.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
does it really if you use a pick? whats so bloody wrong about it? i do it all time - sod the supposed "real bassists use their fingers" *HEAD EXPLODES*
Joe Principe from Rise Against has some pretty interesting lines sometimes. A lot of punk influenced bands have some cool pick-using bass lines, as well as some metal and hardcore.
Nothing wrong with using a pick. Not my cup of tee but tell the people at college giving you crap about it to relax.

Its another way of playing.

Also Shavo Odadijan(Sp?) uses a pick and in my opinion, is a exceptional bassist.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Quote by BassRichardson
Nothing wrong with using a pick. Not my cup of tee but tell the people at college giving you crap about it to relax.

Its another way of playing.

Also Shavo Odadijan(Sp?) uses a pick and in my opinion, is a exceptional bassist.

I will ask, what makes Shavo so exceptional?
No one has said Noel Redding. He exclusively used picks
Quote by imgooley

How could i forget??????
One of my favourites!
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Yngwie

Yes, he is a guitarist. However, he played some amazing bass lines with a pick on his early albums. Fire from Trilogy is one that stands out for me.
Mark Hoppus

*Runs and hides*

Mike Dirnt, is quite good though and Waters, money is quite good itself.
Quote by imgooley

Noel was a guitarist who ended up playing bass for the Experience and so the pick was a natural choice for him. Also, on some of the recordings, its not Noel playing bass but Jimi Hendrix, who took bass duties at times.
Quote by carey357
Tom Araya from Slayer uses picks nowadays, but he used to use his fingers back in the early 80's. He's pretty good (IMO) if he can play at those speeds and manage to sing.

Yeah, he changed to pick because it produces a much clearer, tighter sound. playing with a pick is actually requires more stamina than playing with your fingers. I've personally never had any grief for playing with a pick, but i've always been singing at the same time, (I know a guy who used to get a bit of stick for it i think, despite playing in a metal band, But he could do all this hybrid picking stuff, he also did this thing where he tucked the pick underneath his thumb for finger parts)
Not a 100% pick user but nevertheless Dave Meros is a brilliant bassist. He plays bass for Spock's Beard, a progressive rock band and uses a Rickenbacker with both rick pickups and jazz pickups, or something like that.
signature
hunter from AFI. god called in sick today is a classic that shows off his musicianship as well as skill.