What exactly does a guitar setup entail? Which parts of the setup can I do myself, and whichones should I leave to a tech?
tuning, action, cleaning, string change can be done by yourself. intonation and truss rod are a little difficult for beginners
Quote by Sakattack75
tuning, action, cleaning, string change can be done by yourself. intonation and truss rod are a little difficult for beginners

intonation can be done by yourself if you have a stoptail type bridge. just get a decent tuner and make sure the open and 12th fret match up exactly
So, I've already changed my strings(about 6 weeks ago). I'm fairly happy with my action, though it may be the cause of some of my buzz.

I need to intonate my guitar, I'm finding online tutorials for that right now. I've been told that only a tech shoud EVER touch my truss rod. True?

Is there a specific order that I should be doing these things in?
String change with stretch
Intonation
Truss Rod adjustment
Action height adjustment
Pickup Height adjustment
Tightening tuners if needed
Cleaning and conditioning fret board

Everything can be done yourself if you follow instructions and take your time.... A little knowledge and a few tools are needed though... Tuner, screw drivers, feeler gauges (unless you just eye ball it), pliers, crescent wrench or sockets for tightening, capo, lint free rag, lemon oil or your choice of cleaner fret conditioner.
Thanks. Why, BTW, would I want to raise/lower my bridge(which I assume affects action)? I assume to alleviate buzzing(higher) or for ease of playing(lower)?
Quote by RSX
Thanks. Why, BTW, would I want to raise/lower my bridge(which I assume affects action)? I assume to alleviate buzzing(higher) or for ease of playing(lower)?

Affects action... Some like it high some like it low. Lower allows you to play a little faster because its less time to get the string to the fret and your not climbing over strings to get to other strings. But really low and you usually get buzz. So raising the bridge can stop some of it, but sometimes the nut and neck need to be shimmed and truss rod needs to be adjusted to get rid of all of it...