Is there a good way to make it easier to carry an 85 lb amp around?
Casters.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Casters.

Agreed. How tall is it? 85lbs is getting near "team lift" territory, particularly if it's a tall amp.
It's a B-52 AT-212. I am gonna buy it, but my Dad says its too heavy and I am pissed off. The dimensions are 27" x 21" x 11". So I guess it is 21" high.
Quote by neon10th
It's a B-52 AT-212. I am gonna buy it, but my Dad says its too heavy and I am pissed off. The dimensions are 27" x 21" x 11". So I guess it is 21" high.

They are not THAT heavy. You SHOULD be able to lift it on your own.
Quote by neon10th
Is there a good way to make it easier to carry an 85 lb amp around?

3 sets of 12 and a tuna sandwich
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
85lb is heavy, but it is certainly not unliftable. my dad has toolboxes that weigh more than that. they aren't pleasant to carry, but it is doable. if you're planning on carrying it to gigs, think again, but if its just a case of car to practice room or venue, its no real problem.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Lift with your legs, not your back. That's really all the advice I can give about carrying heavy stuff.
85 lbs is not that heavy, if i can lift my 120 lb 6x12 cab by myself you can lift that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by mr_hankey
Lift with your legs, not your back. That's really all the advice I can give about carrying heavy stuff.

Very good advice mr_hankey. lifting stuff with your back hurts.
another idea would be possibly use a dolly (or hand truck, whichever you choose to call it) to wheel it places. thats all i can think of right now.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by mr_hankey

+1
Nothing is more demoralizing then throwing your back out at a young age.

Here is a tip. Get the 112 version instead. You don't really need the extra speaker and 50 watts IMO, especially if you are going to have trouble carrying it around.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
+1
Nothing is more demoralizing then throwing your back out at a young age.

Here is a tip. Get the 112 version instead. You don't really need the extra speaker and 50 watts IMO, especially if you are going to have trouble carrying it around.

Maybe I don't need those, but I feel I need the extra gain channel and the foot-switch to switch between those. Do not forget the triple-rectifier (it would be useful). The 212 has kind of a crunchy gain channel and a heavy metal gain channel. The 112 lacks one of these channels.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
85lb is heavy, but it is certainly not unliftable. my dad has toolboxes that weigh more than that. they aren't pleasant to carry, but it is doable. if you're planning on carrying it to gigs, think again, but if its just a case of car to practice room or venue, its no real problem.

Same here. He had one back when he used to work construction. I think it weighed in at around 90-something pounds.

But, so not to spam, casters are definately a must. Just be sure to roll it smoothly.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by neon10th
Maybe I don't need those, but I feel I need the extra gain channel and the foot-switch to switch between those. Do not forget the triple-rectifier (it would be useful). The 212 has kind of a crunchy gain channel and a heavy metal gain channel. The 112 lacks one of these channels.

1. Go to GC
2. Buy the amp, get them to include an overdrive
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

Just get an OD. Dont shy away from a good amp just because it doesnt have 2 gain channels.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Buy a forklift.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

A dolly would help you a lot.

I used one to carry a large TV up an incline about 500 feet.

It worked wonders.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by neon10th
Good idea, but wouldn't you rather get the 212 anyway?

No.

No one needs 120 watts of tube. Waste of money
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
No.

HAHAHAHAHAHA... Says the kid with the Line6 Spider.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish

He may have a Line 6, but he's right.

Unless you want to deafen yourself and everyone around you.
--

--
Quote by mike.h
No.

I use my 120 watt tube amp cranked all the time, I mean i guess I could use a 100 watt but seriously i hate people say that no one needs it, having a loud amp with a lot of headroom is very handy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Castors and tube amps are a bad mix. They tend to rattle the amp too much. It's one thing to roll the amp across the gym floor, but usually you find yourself rolling it along the coblestones, too.

If you need wheels on an amp, the best way to go is with a fully padded road case. Something to absorb the vibrations.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Maybe I should just go for the 60 watt 112. I mean, 60 watts is loud enough. Louder than my friends 120 watt solid-state JC-120. If I worry about the extra gain channel, can't I just get a OD pedal and an EQ?
60 watts will be more than enough.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that'll work.
--

--
Quote by mike.h
1. Go to GC
2. Buy the amp, get them to include an overdrive
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

Just get an OD. Dont shy away from a good amp just because it doesnt have 2 gain channels.

Thats possibly the dumbest thing ive seen today
Just adding an OD isnt going to make his amp sound like the high gain channel on the 212.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Vanquish

Ignorant idiot..

Ever think that maybe this was my first amp? Im actually getting a B-52 AT112 next week.

Go back to your hole, no one wants ignorant douchebags here.

^ @ kool

My suggestion was just to emulate two gain channels, not emulate the sound of the gain channel.

If he has an OD, he can put it over the lead channel, and when its engaged it would act as a boosted channel, if you know what I'm saying
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Mar 16, 2008,
you could be a man about it and just lift it. its not really that heavy. you'll find it easier to lift over time too, as you get stronger.

also, as someone said earlier (think it was slats), you will destroy your tubes if you try and roll it about everywhere, so consider a proper flightcase.

or you could cut some holes for recessed handles on each side, making a 2 person lift easier.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I see your point mike, but my point was that if he likes the extra gain channel, why settle for less type thing.
But 80 pounds is br00tal to carry when its that big. I hate carrying around my 60 pound traynor. I guess grow a set and carry, or invest in an ATA case.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Yeah. Maybe I should get the 112 then, because the difference between 85 lbs and 40 lbs is huge.

BTW an OD and EQ would be perfect. The only reason why I wanted two gain channels was because I wanted one of the gain channels to be for rhythm, and when I have a solo, I use the other one. So actually, getting the 112 and OD + EQ would be better than getting the 212 only I suppose.
Last edited by neon10th at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
Ignorant idiot..

Ever think that maybe this was my first amp? Im actually getting a B-52 AT112 next week.

Go back to your hole, no one wants ignorant douchebags here.

Calm down dude, you get mad too easily. Congrats on your B-52 my friend has it and loves it, sounds damn good to me too.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by mike.h
No.

Actually, at the Guitar Center I go to, the AT112 and the AT212 are only $25 apart. And, you get the extra gain channel and tri-mode rectifier.
Quote by neon10th
Actually, at the Guitar Center I go to, the AT112 and the AT212 are only $25 apart. And, you get the extra gain channel and tri-mode rectifier.

gofor the 212 and get an ATA case dude.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I can't find an ATA case for the 212. I'll might as well get 112 with EQ and OD. Then again, I will be moving it around a lot.