I'm looking for a new head for when I have more expendable money this summer, and I've been looking at both the MTS and the X100B. I know that the X100B is tauted as a really great amp, but I've been hard pressed to find bad things about the MTS either. I play mostly high gain stuff, but a nice clean channel is also essential. Any opinions on these amps is very much appreciated.
The MTS clean channel is very opinionated, I hear some people say it sucks, while others say it's the best they've heard in a long time. I've yet to hear anyone say the X100Bs cleans suck, most people praise them, but dislike the overdrive. And even if you do like the overdrive, there's not that much of it.

Go for the MTS.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
What exactly do you mean by high gain stuff? They both can pull off metal, not modern metal so don't be expecting to get a Recto-like sound. The MTS has a bit more beef and gain than the X100B.
Quote by Doodleface
The MTS clean channel is very opinionated, I hear some people say it sucks, while others say it's the best they've heard in a long time. I've yet to hear anyone say the X100Bs cleans suck, most people praise them, but dislike the overdrive. And even if you do like the overdrive, there's not that much of it.

Go for the MTS.

Really? I've only heard great thing about the x100b's overdrive as well.

By high gain stuff I mean mostly metal, stuff like Dark Tranquillity and Scar Symmetry. Also, I know it isn't really recto type distortion, but what can it be compared to. A few clips I've heard had a real dry throaty sound, which I thought was kind of 5150ish.
id try out the carvin v3
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
id try out the carvin v3

That'd be nice, but I don't know that I'll have 1k to drop on an amp.
Quote by Andreas1
carvin v3 i got it for $600 used

I'll keep my eyes peeled. I was also kind of looking at the new bugeras,,,but apparently they have some quality issues that arent resolved yet, which is a shame cause everyone I've talked to who's tried them said they sounded really good for how much they are.
Quote by rokket2005
By high gain stuff I mean mostly metal, stuff like Dark Tranquillity and Scar Symmetry. Also, I know it isn't really recto type distortion, but what can it be compared to. A few clips I've heard had a real dry throaty sound, which I thought was kind of 5150ish.

The X100B has a great lead channel and the additional 5-band EQ. I'm not sure what videos are out there, but an idea of how they sound... think Steve Vai, Zappa, Marty Friedman (not his Megadeth years, but his early solo stuff), and Jason Becker. It was a very popular amp during the 80's, so think 80's metal.