So, yeah, I've got a friend who's getting into guitar, and has a total budget of $600. I gave her the different options for amps under $300, mainly either a modeling amp or a 5w tube amp, since she's just starting out. She wanted the tube, oddly enough (mainly because I told her it distorts on its own, and typically sounds better).

This also leaves her $400 for a guitar, since none of the mass-produced 5-watters go over $200.

Question being, what's our best option?

-Fender Champ 600
-Epi Valve Jr.
-Crate Palomino V8
-Crate V Series V5
-Peavey Valveking Royal 8
(all combo amps)

Help is appreciated. Anything else that comes to mind, do tell.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Ahh... A Question as old as time itself.
I think She'll like a Blackheart Little Giant. It lets her tweak it's EQ (it does make a difference, unlike the rumor), and it has a switch to give her a smoother, cleaner tone (the wattage switch).
You'll have to cut off 50 bucks off the guitar budget though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Plus, the blackheart is the "girliest" looking out of those, if that makes sense, which is only a bonus.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i would go for the Palomino or the Blackheart, both great amps.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
i own the palomino very nice little tube, it was between this and the blackheart but the blackheart never seemed to be in stock and guitar center had the v8s for 160, so i had to take it.
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Well, yeah, didn't consider the Blackheart.....she does like some of the pop-punk and stuff, and I guess she wouldn't mind losing that much off the guitar....then again, she's also a huge Hendrix fangirl, so if as long as she can still get that kind of sound, she'll be good.

I'll run that by her, see what she thinks.

Suggestions still welcome.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
^The blackheart is a mini-plexi of sorts.
It'll get hendrix well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ooh. I'll have to mention that to her. That'll stop her from getting a MIM Standard Strat, of course, but I hear the Squier Vintage Modified series is good....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
^Buy it used. Then spend the extra cash on either a good set of pickups or an OD or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, now she's saying she does want a modeling amp, and I immediately recommended the 15-watt Valvetronix.

Good recommendation?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I've heard that the palominos made in vietnam are crap from lots of users, and reviews through searching. The US ones are a better quality (if she can find the ones that are made in the US)

Tell her to try out the BH little G, and see if she likes it
Take her into a store and play on some amps for her, have her ears be the judge.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i just returned my valve king royal 8 for the third time(if that says anything)and the manager gave
me a full credit refund($200), so i played a bunch of amps in the same general price
range and i wound up spending $50 more and went for the vox AD30VT(valve preamp)
the sound and the level of sound just couldn't be matched by anything with an 8"
speaker,let alone all the effects and amp models it has onboard.
can't say i've ever heard a blackheart though.
Quote by lec666
i just returned my valve king royal 8 for the third time(if that says anything)and the manager gave
me a full credit refund($200), so i played a bunch of amps in the same general price
range and i wound up spending $50 more and went for the vox AD30VT(valve preamp)
the sound and the level of sound just couldn't be matched by anything with an 8"
speaker,let alone all the effects and amp models it has onboard.
can't say i've ever heard a blackheart though.

I had the AD30VT and there's no valve in the preamp. Reading the manual is underrated. The 12AX7 tube is in the power amp stage and it's part of VOX's proprietary tube tone simulation circuit that interacts with the speaker.

Also, doesn't the AD30VT have a 10" speaker?

Regardless, I hope you're happy with it. I liked mine while I had it. I agree with a previous poster that VOX is the better of the low-cost modeling amps.

Did you get the 2-button footswitch? If you do, you can program the amp to let you switch between your two saved channels on the first button and switch between your saved settings and manual mode with the second button. Literally three amps at your foot with slightly limited switching flexibility. I had fun. One clean amp, one slightly overdriven and one set to incinerate.
Last edited by carpepax at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
Take her into a store and play on some amps for her, have her ears be the judge.

Well yeah, I do hope to go into GC and shop around a bit. And not just for her, honestly, still an AC15 and a Leslie Simulator pedal I want to try for myself.....

But yeah, I do hope to let her hear for herself.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
If she's starting guitar then, usually a modelling amp is the best way to go so she doesn't have to spend hundreds more on stompboxes. So maybe go with the ad15vt, cause a beginner usually can't tell a big difference in tones until their ear is trained when they play a lot.
Quote by carpepax
I had the AD30VT and there's no valve in the preamp. Reading the manual is underrated. The 12AX7 tube is in the power amp stage and it's part of VOX's proprietary tube tone simulation circuit that interacts with the speaker.

Also, doesn't the AD30VT have a 10" speaker?

Regardless, I hope you're happy with it. I liked mine while I had it. I agree with a previous poster that VOX is the better of the low-cost modeling amps.

thanks for the clarification on the valve location, and yes it has a 10" speaker
Quote by yoyodunno
maybe a microcube would be better to start out and have fun with effects.

I tend to agree. Get her out to the store and play with a few amps. I prefer the little tubes, but that's because I have plenty of effects to run thru them. I think the Cube is just more fun for a beginner.

Quote by flydude
i own the palomino very nice little tube, it was between this and the blackheart but the blackheart never seemed to be in stock and guitar center had the v8s for 160, so i had to take it.

But if you're going tube, the Palomino is the wise choice. I also like it best of the ones I've tried, and the fact that it's about $90 cheaper than the Little Giant makes it that much more betterer.

That way she can get the MIM Strat, too, which I was going to recommend before I saw you mention it. Much better than the Squier. In fact, if you're going to GC, you should be able to get the Strat, Palomino, a cable, and picks for under $500 out the door. Do a little haggling. She could maybe even pick out a pedal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.