Hi All... i've realised that after a couple of months of learning electric blues guitar (mostly slow blues licks, Am pentatonic stuff) that i haven't devoted much time at all to hammer-ons/pull-offs...

I quite enjoy the feel of picking every note but some of the pentatonic runs sound a little stiff at times (perhaps i just need to relax more).

Then i read a couple of interviews recently with Steve Morse (Deep Purple, Dixie Dregs) who said he decided to train himself to pick every note and seems to play most of his stuff like that.

I guess if you pick every note to start with, it could be easier to add in hammer-ons etc. here and there at a later stage(?)

Anyway, is there anything i'm missing out on by not giving any time to hammer-ons/pull-offs... i mostly play slow blues (i do still use vibrato, string bends, note sliding).

Thanks for any advice.
Definitely missing out.....You can get a much smoother sound through hammer ons and pull offs....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's a technique you should know and know well. Using it is up to you. But you don't want to need to know it and don't.
Metal Head

One Day, We'll All Go Into The Water.
Go, Into The Water, Live There, Die There.

Gear
Squier Stratocaster
Jackson Pro Series Kelly
Jackson Dinky Sustaniac
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Triple XXX Stack
your missing out on hammer on/pulloffs
theres no set way to play, if it works for you, run with it,
learn all you can its not like your mind is wasting space and its not like its hard you just need to build finger strength. I feel like it sometimes adds something, but to each his own.
Hammer ons/pull offs are a must for guitar. You limit your sound so much without the smooth sound of hammer ons and pull offs used correctly in legato runs.
there pretty easy to learn so u might as well take the time, i almost cant STOP using them now
Wow.

Youre like a house builder that doesnt use wood or nails.

Hammers and pull offs are essential guitar BASICS.

You dont NEED them, but why limit yourself by skipping such simple techniques?
You're missing out on an entirely different element of your playing in general. By using legato (hammer-ons and pulloffs) you'll be able to create much more fluid-sounding runs.
Why wouldn't you want to learn it? Every technique you learn just helps you do more things with your playing.
how can you not know how to hammer on and pull off i started learning to play guitar when i was 8 and i learned that within the first ten minutes of practice
Let me sum this up to you. If you dont learn hammer-ons and pull-offs, you'll fail at guitar and means you cannot sweep, shred, or tap, to be honest. Mostly all picking sounds sloppy and you cannot be good at guitar if you dont use them. To put in two words; You'll Fail.
You can get away with not using legato if you play classical guitar or something, but in most other styles its fundamental. Its easy enough to learn and it will only help you improve.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
learning H/POs is definetly going to open up a new variety and sound that you can produce, its definetly worth the time and effort to learn how to hammer-on/pull-off smoothly.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by TheOneManBand12
how can you not know how to hammer on and pull off i started learning to play guitar when i was 8 and i learned that within the first ten minutes of practice

Oh, and I guess you learned Strairway to Heaven, off by ear, Left handedly backwards

If your going to start practising Hammer Ons/Pull Offs maybe try to use 9. gauge string or something, I`v heard thats its easier for bending with 9. gauge so I guess its easier for Hammer Ons/Pull offs ( correct me if I`m wrong ).
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
You should definitely look into doing Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs as well as Hammer-Pulls.

You get a much cleaner sound sometimes, you can play things faster (for the most part) because you are only picking ever other note, or in the case of a Hammer-Pull, every 3 notes, and it's just a useful weapon to have in your playing arsenal
Quote by EddieRhoads
Let me sum this up to you. If you dont learn hammer-ons and pull-offs, you'll fail at guitar and means you cannot sweep, shred, or tap, to be honest. Mostly all picking sounds sloppy and you cannot be good at guitar if you dont use them. To put in two words; You'll Fail.

Agreed, you should learn hammer-ons and pulls offs, but not because 'you'll fail', but merely because you'll be limiting yourself. If you learn it and you dont like, then by no means do you have to use it, but either way, you'll have another technique to use.

And to be honest, ones skills at shredding is not at all a measure of their guitar success. Id say playing well and with emotion, whether it be fast or slow, it ones true measure of success, not whether they can play 300 nps. Dont scare the TS into thinking otherwise.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Thanks, guys... i'm starting to learn and use hammer-ons! ... and slides. Thanks for the encouragement and reasoning.