Is this true? I heard if you detune far too much it can throw off the neck and I would have to get it repaired. Should I just keep it in 1 tuning and that's it?
It's not going to damage it, you might need adjustments such as the truss rod or the intonation setup, but its not going to "damage" it. Guitars are meant to be tuned in different tunings.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

detuning REALLY low can mess up your neck if u don't use heavy enough strings. You should be ok if it's only down a whole step or a little more.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Drop A# or Drop C on my ibanez for a long time now and never had any problems with the neck
Quote by Thomme
Fella's, arguing like this on the internet is like the special olympics.

My Gear
Ibanez RG2EX1
Ibanez GRX20Z
Boss - MT2
Boss- DS1
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah
Strings - Ernie Ball12's
Amp- Behringer V-Tone
Amp- Line6 Spider 3 75w
Don't mean to hijack your thread or anything .

So leaving my guitar tuned a step down won't damage the neck right? Thanks in advance.
Detuning a step down shouldn't be that bad, but if you leave it that way, over time (a long time, mind you) you'll probably notice a small bit of bend in your neck if you don't have the truss rud adjusted.

The 'detuning' myth is pretty real, though, if you tune ridiculously low and leave it that way, without any adjustments, as it will warp/bend the neck to hell.
2003 Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts
2006 Epiphone 66' Re-Issue SG
1980's USA Fender Stratocaster w/ 50's Gibson Humbucker
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Amplifier
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amplifier
Peavey Basic 50 Amplifier
Pod XT Pro
Honestly tuning UP too much is what puts a lot more tension on the neck and that's what can put a lot of stress on a neck. Really though it's not a big deal, I've used almost every tuning in the book with all kinds of string gauges/tensions, there's no danger. You'll just likely need to make a minor truss rod adjustments when you change tunings/gauges.

The best way to keep the performance of your guitar consistent when you tune down (or up) is to make sure you change the strings with the appropriate tension. For example a .042 in E has around the same tension as a .048 in D. It's good to find a string tension calculator and build a custom set with balanced tension. The tonal and playabiltiy benefits to doing this is HUGE, I can't stress it enough.

For example, a balanced tension set would look something like this:

9-12-16-24-32-44

With this set the tension remains balanced throughout all 6 strings. A regular 9-11-16-24-32-42 set is very unbalanced, with some strings having considerably more tension than others.

Other examples of a balanced set would be:

10-13.5-17-26-36-48

7-String: 9-12-16-24-32-44-59 or 10-14-18-26-36-49-65

And so on...

Personally I tune to DGCFAD s well (or ADGCFAD on 7s), and I like the feel of 10-48 (or 10-48 + a 65 for the 7th).
My Rig

Bernie Rico Jr Vixen 7-string (x2)
Ibanez XPT707 7-string
VHT Pittbull UL --> VHT 4x12

My Band / My Shop

If you're going from 9s to 12s you're adding about 80 pounds of extra tension on the neck. To each their own
My Rig

Bernie Rico Jr Vixen 7-string (x2)
Ibanez XPT707 7-string
VHT Pittbull UL --> VHT 4x12

My Band / My Shop