I've decided i don't want active pickups in my guitar, but the stock ones aren't doing it for me either. I have a jackson RR, the lowest one. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for pickup sets so i can get rid of the old ones. I play rhythm for my band and i love heavy and semi bassy tones. I've been looking at seymour duncans and cant decide because they have so many. Any and all suggestions are welcome!
+1

The pickups aren't the problem, and changing them isn't going to help - the amp is your tone bottleneck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a spider III 150 watt head running through their cab. My other guitars sound nice through it but this one has like a cheap sound.. and the pinches arent that good. I've read that people can do pinches on these but i personally cant make them sound as good as my other guitars. so im guessing its the pickups.
lol. Don't tell me it's about technique... i can do them on my other guitars. It's definately the pickups because i can do pinches, but they've never sounded so ****ty. And i've tried moving my hand around and checking and i cant get a good one anywhere. So back to my original question... What are some good Duncans that i can slap in my RR to get a better sounding pinch, ones that would also sound nice for rhythm. i dont solo so i dont need anything that's really good for that. :P
Quote by TedESP
lol. Don't tell me it's about technique... i can do them on my other guitars. It's definately the pickups because i can do pinches, but they've never sounded so ****ty. And i've tried moving my hand around and checking and i cant get a good one anywhere. So back to my original question... What are some good Duncans that i can slap in my RR to get a better sounding pinch, ones that would also sound nice for rhythm. i dont solo so i dont need anything that's really good for that. :P

Invader?
not the invader

Duncan Distortion, Custom, Custom 5, JB (maybe, some think it's too bright)
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by TedESP

It IS about technique. I can do pinches on ANY guitar. It's all about finding where the harmonic nodes on the guitar are. Different guitar may have different scale lengths, and different scale lengths would change where the pinch harmonics are easier to hit.
i put a combo in my dinky of duncan model 59 in the bridge and a jazz in the neck, gets pretty beef distortion on the bridge, and descent harmonics imo.
i use a sh4 jb and the harmonics are still good u can realy tell teh differents from any stock pickup
If you can't hit pinches on the guitar it's more likely going to be a setup issue than the pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
It IS about technique. I can do pinches on ANY guitar. It's all about finding where the harmonic nodes on the guitar are. Different guitar may have different scale lengths, and different scale lengths would change where the pinch harmonics are easier to hit.

lol man. I CAN do pinch harmonics. Idk what you keep going on about... i can do them on this guitar but i dont get how you dont understand that these pickups are cheap sounding. If there was no difference between pickups why would you buy some emg 81\85's and have to put a battery in it when you had stock ones. I can see if you cant do pinches and try to blame it on your pickups, but i can do pinches and they sound crappy.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You just need to find the sweet spots on the guitar man. Trust me, I can do them on any guitar, any pickups, if they're cheap or not.

Agreed. For what it's worth, I find you do need to work a bit harder for them on Jackson for whatever reason, probably the frets and finger board radius they use.