Page 1 of 2
Well after playing my friend's Squire, I'm set on getting an electric guitar. I'm not sure what I'll play but probably classic rock with some blues as well. I was thinking between these

-Squier Standard Telecaster
-Squier Standard Stratocaster
-Yamaha Pacifica 112J

Now as for the amp, I'm between the these:

-Vox DA15 (about $160 at Musicians Friend)
-Roland Microcube
-Fender G-DEC Junior
-Vox Pathfinder 15R

Which combo should I get of guitar and amp from these? You can recommend guitars as well but close to that price.
Last edited by gtwosaints at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by linknchuk
for classic rock

I lol'ed at that.

Oh yeah I forgot that Ibanez's were mostly for metal. I just saw their low price and immediately put it down. Sorry I'll take those down.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Can you afford a bit more for the guitar?

Probably not because I still have to buy a tuner, picks, cable, and some extra strings.
I'd say if you want a decent guitar, those are good, but Epi and Agile are also good. look into those. agile site

On the subject of Epi: don't go lower than an LP studio or G-400 vintage.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yea, go for the agile

the ibanez artists(arc100 and arx120) are ridiculous cheap and solid guitars too(plus its not a gio)

and for the amp the microcube is ace
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
yea, go for the agile

the ibanez artists(arc100 and arx120) are ridiculous cheap and solid guitars too(plus its not a gio)

and for the amp the microcube is ace

The thing is I want to be able to play the guitars before I buy them.
try the squier VM series
the standard series are not bad at all also
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I have an Agile TC 630 Tele copy and it plays like a dream. Sexy as hell too

EDIT: only 200 US $
Quote by killsPEACHES
I have an Agile TC 630 Tele copy and it plays like a dream. Sexy as hell too

EDIT: only 200 US $

Like I said I want to be able to play the guitar in real life.
Ok I've decided that it's probably not going to be in my favor to buy a cheap guitar. So for the guitar I will be able to pay $400. I was thinking a Telecaster or Stratocaster. I can't decide between each one.
you keep raising the top price you want to pay for an electric. you should really make up your mind so we can help you.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
if you want to spend $400 on a fender, I'd suggest an HSS strat.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Buy a fender standard strat and a micro cube. It will last you a good 2 years until you upgrade.
Not the G-Dec! No!NO!NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!

I've had the nearly suicidal misfortune of owning one of those, now, let me explain my overreaction:

It may SEEM appealing, because it has so many built-in digital abilities. I mean, this amp can IMITATE(try to) almost anything. But bottom line: The tone quality of anything it does sucks. Horribly. I'm done.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Quote by oneblackened
if you want to spend $400 on a fender, I'd suggest an HSS strat.

Why an HSS strat, why not the Telecaster or standard Strat?
A bridge humbucker is more versatile to some. Play each and see, I personally don't like Strats with HBs but find out for yourself.
Ok, say I could spend 650-ish for the amp, guitar, picks, tuner, a $20 scales book, cable, a cleaner, and peg winder.
Spend 300 to 350 on a nice Squier or a MIM Fender, new or used.
Spend 250 on a Blackheart or valve junior.
Use the rest for tuner, picks, strap, bag if needed, and any teaching aides you want.
Quote by Fat Brian
Spend 300 to 350 on a nice Squier or a MIM Fender, new or used.
Spend 250 on a Blackheart or valve junior.
Use the rest for tuner, picks, strap, bag if needed, and any teaching aides you want.

Why not a Fender HSS strat and microcube?
Quote by gtwosaints
Why not a Fender HSS strat and microcube?

Because the Blackheart is a tube amp therefore better tone quality and louder volumes. I hear that thing is a beast for how little it is.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Because the Blackheart is a tube amp therefore better tone quality and louder volumes. I hear that thing is a beast for how little it is.

So I should go for a Blackheart stack and a better Squire such as a Vintage Modified Strat?
Buy used. Try the guitar in stores and then buy one used.
A Crate Palomino V16 and a MIM Strat should be in your price range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V16-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-103046561-i1146110.gc
279 new
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc
400 New

That's 680 new. Used you can get it for much less. You probably won't need a HB for the music you play, The single coils will be fine. And with the Palomino, you get a great sounding tube amp with ep, gain and reverb, instead of just a volume knob
Quote by mcrfobtai
Buy used. Try the guitar in stores and then buy one used.
A Crate Palomino V16 and a MIM Strat should be in your price range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V16-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-103046561-i1146110.gc
279 new
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103630810-i1148847.gc
400 New

That's 680 new. Used you can get it for much less. You probably won't need a HB for the music you play, The single coils will be fine. And with the Palomino, you get a great sounding tube amp with ep, gain and reverb, instead of just a volume knob

Sorry but I don't want to buy new cause I don't want to risk it. Like I said, I still need to buy accesories. Yes, I know I can get some stuff for free but, still I don't want to take a chance like that.
Quote by gtwosaints
Why an HSS strat, why not the Telecaster or standard Strat?

Much, much more versatile. you can do nearly any genre with that guitar. anything from SRV-style blues to metallica.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Super Light Electric Guitar Strings 3-Pack

Monster Cable S-100 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable 6 Foot

MJS Total Scales Techniques and Applications - Guitar (Book/CD)

Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp

Fender Standard HSS Stratocater (Don't Know which color)

Dunlop Nylon Standard Guitar Pick .73MM 1 Dozen

Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner

Dunlop Gel String Winder Assorted

Fender Electric Guitar Folding Stand

This is what I was planning to get. It comes out to be about $655 with free shipping. I thought this was a good set-up but, I don't think you guys think it is. I thought I was on the right track but, now I'm more confused. Is this is a good set-up?
Quote by gtwosaints
Ok I've decided that it's probably not going to be in my favor to buy a cheap guitar. So for the guitar I will be able to pay $400. I was thinking a Telecaster or Stratocaster. I can't decide between each one.

Here. Use it well.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
Quote by gtwosaints

Here. Use it well.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
Quote by gtwosaints
D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Super Light Electric Guitar Strings 3-Pack

Monster Cable S-100 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable 6 Foot

MJS Total Scales Techniques and Applications - Guitar (Book/CD)

Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp

Fender Standard HSS Stratocater (Don't Know which color)

Dunlop Nylon Standard Guitar Pick .73MM 1 Dozen

Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner

Dunlop Gel String Winder Assorted

Fender Electric Guitar Folding Stand

This is what I was planning to get. It comes out to be about $655 with free shipping. I thought this was a good set-up but, I don't think you guys think it is. I thought I was on the right track but, now I'm more confused. Is this is a good set-up?

'Tis good, but if you can increase by about $125, you can get a blackheart "half stack", or for $50 more, an Epi Valve junior combo. also, get a 12' cable, you're gonna need it.
Also, take out the book, it's not a good idea. get a teacher instead.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 19, 2008,
Versatiltiy, HSS can get a great classic rock sound with the humbucker in the bridge. Plus you have the single coils for the clapton or SRV stuff.
Quote by oneblackened
'Tis good, but if you can increase by about $125, you can get a blackheart "half stack", or for $50 more, an Epi Valve junior combo. also, get a 12' cable, you're gonna need it.
Also, take out the book, it's not a good idea. get a teacher instead.

So, I should go for a Epi Valve Junior Combo Amp...Well the book is really just to learn some scales. How many lessons do you think I should take per month and how much should the be on average? I can't spend too much on the teacher.
Well, the teacher is worth it if you have the money, if the book is like $20 it's ok. The VJ combo is gonna sound a bit better, but it's not as variable as the Microcube.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Well, the teacher is worth it if you have the money, if the book is like $20 it's ok. The VJ combo is gonna sound a bit better, but it's not as variable as the Microcube.

Well is the "bit better" worth it?
The "bit better " is instead of half-sterile sounding modeling, it will be "organic" sounding, and will respond to dynamics better.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Shouldn't matter what the first guitar really is for what style your playing, but I'd recommend you buy a guitar that best wraps around almost all styles of music, incase your influences change or something.

Also, if you stick with playing electric, you are GAURANTEED to get a new guitar, so don't worry too much on a first electric guitar, just something that would be good.
Page 1 of 2