Page 1 of 3
OK, used search bar, didnt see anything. All the people i know are saying that Herman Li is such a great Guitarist. I dont think so, he is good, but not great. Yes i must addmit he can make some cool sounds, but evan i can too. The point is Mr.Li is incredibly over rated. Can anyone tell me why?
Because they all play guitar hero and think it is like the real deal and "Through the Fire and Flames" is "teh ****."
Ummm....he can do a hell of a lot more than "make cool sounds". While he may not be the best he is still definitely a great guitarist. Listen to some of his solos. Basically all of his stuff is very original including the "cool sounds" you spoke of, which is one reason why he is considered to be so good. While most people can play his sounds, he discovered the means of making such sounds.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
He's overrated because can't play his own **** without mountains of effects and editing to make it sound good.
Because Slash, Kirk Hammet, Zakk Wylde, Kurt Cobain and Randy Rhoads are too.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Because non-guitarists can't tell that he speeds his records up. He records stuff really slow and then about triples the speed.

Seriously, just look at some of his live stuff. Dragonforce blows live.
Quote by imthehitcher
give him a handjob
That, sir, may be the worst joke response I have ever heard. No offense intended, but Jesus, dude, you didn't even try.
I like him. I'm not ready to give him a hand job but I like listening to him
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by kyle100
Ummm....he can do a hell of a lot more than "make cool sounds". While he may not be the best he is still definitely a great guitarist. Listen to some of his solos. Basically all of his stuff is very original including the "cool sounds" you spoke of, which is one reason why he is considered to be so good. While most people can play his sounds, he discovered the means of making such sounds.

Lol bull****

Yea, Herman Li rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMIQ1jfJm0.

Forget the fact that he was out of tune, couldn't control his pedals and effects, and failed to hit 50% of the notes in the solo.
Quote by kyle100

Speed ≠ Skill
Quote by kyle100

I'll have to agree, he's pretty original at times.....

Still annoys the hell out of me though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
he's just a Tom Morello wannabe with his sounds, Tom did it first and best, and their music isn't even good, it's just fast, it's mainly what the emo kids listen to to say they like metal, along with cob and iron maiden unfortunately
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
*OPINION ALERT OPINION ALERT OPINION ALERT OPINION ALERT*
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
People like him because they never heard of people like John Petrucci, Steve Vai etc...
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
herman li is a good guitarist agreed, but as good as people say. the only reason people like him is because he's fast. he overdoes fast, and makes it sound terrible alternating, and soloing alot. everyone knows him because of "throught the fire and flames". when i play guitar, play some covers people walk up to me and ask me "can you play any dragonforce".
i hate that soo much. everybody thinks he's amazing cause he does some solos and speeds and edits it all by the studio.
Quote by eds1275
Because non-guitarists can't tell that he speeds his records up. He records stuff really slow and then about triples the speed.

Seriously, just look at some of his live stuff. Dragonforce blows live.

Damn jan 08er. When you speed up a record the pitch goes up, and when you slow it down the pitch lowers (like the Chopped and Screwed sound from Houston rap). They can play at the actual speed, it's just that in a studio you don't have to play it all in one take, and there usually isn't any alcohol involved in the recording process, unlike their live shows.
Quote by kyle100

The big ugly blue and black thing in your sig denounces any relevance that post might have had.

I can make Pacman noises with my whammy bar for 4 minutes at a time and play my own tabs like sh*t live too! I'm better than Herman Li.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
Guitar Hero, definitely.

Aright e'vrybody, my name a Herma Ri! Now ter awr yo frend' Herma Ri is coo, o' I **** on yo head!
Quote by Sound Mind
Damn jan 08er. When you speed up a record the pitch goes up, and when you slow it down the pitch lowers (like the Chopped and Screwed sound from Houston rap). They can play at the actual speed, it's just that in a studio you don't have to play it all in one take, and there usually isn't any alcohol involved in the recording process, unlike their live shows.

You can alter the pitch of things, can you not?
Those ignorant fools you speak with are full of ****. Herman Li is a great guitarist, yes, but speed is nothing. The real skill in guitar playing is putting the feeling into the music. David Gilmour has more feeling in one note than Herman has in 10,000.

Quote by Sound Mind

Damn Aug 05er. You can speed things up without altering the pitch. We don't use tape decks or vinyls anymore. I'm not saying Dragonforce does, however; I know they are wasted during their live shows.
Last edited by RPGoof at Mar 15, 2008,
Listen to white walls by between the buried and me,
actually, jsut the end of it.
the solo is as good, if not better then herman li's , but i am positive paul can probably play it live, and well.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
it's mainly what the emo kids listen to to say they like metal, along with cob and iron maiden unfortunately

It's a shame, dude. Maiden deserves better fans than those kids
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
Quote by Sound Mind

Wrong. You can speed things up without altering the pitch. Hell, I can even do it in Audacity.
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Because Slash, Kirk Hammet, Zakk Wylde, Kurt Cobain and Randy Rhoads are too.

+1 Jesus Christ how can Kirk Hammet be number 12 or whatever on the list of greatest guitarists in rolling stones, and satch or vai or other guitar greats such as eric johnson not even be up there?? And dont tell me because he makes good music, because I would expect them to judge on the guitarists.

But i dont agree with Randy Rhoads. You must be freaking crazy, cus Randy shaped metal music, and he had an extensive knowledge of music theory.
<--- Satch?
Quote by RPGoof
Those ignorant fools you speak with are full of ****. Herman Li is a great guitarist, yes, but speed is nothing. The real skill in guitar playing is putting the feeling into the music. David Gilmour has more feeling in one note than Herman has in 10,000.

Damn straight. Gilmour's amazing.
if you didnt know, Through the Fire and Flames isnt that hard to play on guitar, its alot of keyboard, and the Guitar Hero version is extend bull ****. He dosent speed his records, but he dose over dub them. and he probly isint hammered in the studio.
Quote by Metabolic575
Listen to white walls by between the buried and me,
actually, jsut the end of it.
the solo is as good, if not better then herman li's , but i am positive paul can probably play it live, and well.

He can. They played all of Colors live right down to the t.
80% of Through the Fire and Flames is done by a keyboard. and herman li is only liked because of guitar hero and all the 12-14 year-olds that play it and don't know any other stuff thats good. like masonpwiley speed is not skill.
Quote by RPGoof

Ok, as you can see from the previous comments, I don't prefer Herman, but I am calling bull**** bigtime on this comment. Where is your proof that David Gilmour plays with "feeling" and Herman does not. Every Dragonforce song I have listened to is pretty uplifting, and guess what THAT IS AN EMOTION AS WELL. David Gilmour is just extremely boring and repetitive to me, John Petrucci rapes his ass. Stop being so narrow and looking for one thing in music and calling it emotion. Emotion and feeling somehow being favored in certain guitarists is so much bull**** it isn't even funny. You can't take a simple thing that David Gilmour does called tension and release and substitute it for "emotion" or "feeling" and then try to make him seem better than he actually is.
Last edited by johnpetrucci05 at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by johnpetrucci05
Lol bull****

Yea, Herman Li rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMIQ1jfJm0.

Forget the fact that he was out of tune, couldn't control his pedals and effects, and failed to hit 50% of the notes in the solo.

my ears hurt but that was Fucking hilarious
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
dragonforce is a fun band to listen to. but hes not as good as many people say he is. He is pretty good ill give him that but he is so sloppy live and when he tries to play slow, he just plays as fast as he can. soooo many people better than him
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by StratoHamster
+1 Jesus Christ how can Kirk Hammet be number 12 or whatever on the list of greatest guitarists in rolling stones, and satch or vai or other guitar greats such as eric johnson not even be up there?? And dont tell me because he makes good music, because I would expect them to judge on the guitarists.

But i dont agree with Randy Rhoads. You must be freaking crazy, cus Randy shaped metal music, and he had an extensive knowledge of music theory.

Yeah I just put Randy Rhoads because it's on his profile. I forgot to put Dimebag, too.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Page 1 of 3