I have always wonder how he acheived his clean tone it is very disctinive for example like knockin on heavens door. It almost sound's choruseeeeii? It kinda sounds like he is playing close to the bridge what would be pickup position should I use and also what would be a good eq setting here is my set up
Epiphone Les Paul Flame Custom>Bad Monkey Tube OD>Marshall JTM30 All Tube Amp
Guitars
Squire Strat
1959 Gibson HummingBird Acoustic
1999 Gibson SongBird Acoustic
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
JH-1 Wah (Jimi Hendrix Sig Wah)
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Why would you wanna sound like slash? no offence, I hate him.

* running away from would be flamers
I just wanted to know how he achieved his distinctive Clean Tone
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
well you need a guitar with a humbucker at the neck, a les paul really does work best. set your pickup switch to the neck pickup and roll the tone knob all the way down.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
I don't think rolling the tone knob ALL the way down will achieve a great clean slash ton or a slash OD. More like sunshine of your love. In my experience half way down gives me a good disorted tone but for his clean.
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
ha. looks like you got it covered then. why the need to ask?
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
some good responses so far huh? I wish I knew so i could help ya, but Im just gonna add to the other completly useless comments.
I got his DIRTY Tone alright but his clean I can't seem to figure out.
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
Quote by Grimpenguin
switch to the clean channel?

You can tell he knows what he is talking about lol
Guitars
Squire Strat
Pedals
Bad Monkey
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Amp
All Tube Marshall JTM-30
I have an Epi LP as well and I'm able to get a decent Slash clean tone on the neck pickup with the tone knob at 0. Amp settings (VK 212) are:

B - 6
M - 4
T - 6

With the "bright" setting on for a little bit more treble. I'm able to replicate the tone of the main riff in Civil War quite well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but I'm almost positive he uses a chorus for Knockin' On Heaven's Door.
Last edited by :-D at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by linknchuk
Why would you wanna sound like slash? no offence, I hate him.

* running away from would be flamers

OMgZ h0w c4N Y0u 1n5ult Slash y0u R a F4gg07 Slash R teH 5hr3dZ0rZ.

no im just kidding, his autobiography kinda make me loose a lot of respect for him.

to TSs question, quite simple. BRIDGE PICKUP (thats what he uses on Knockin on heavens door) clean tone on the amp. then just add a chorus pedal. BTW i think izzy/gilby does most of the clean stuff on knockin on heavens door (as well as november rain and those songs)
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
BTW i think izzy/gilby does most of the clean stuff on knockin on heavens door (as well as november rain and those songs)

Nope, the clean intro on Knockin' On Heaven's Door is Slash, as is the clean intro to Civil War. I'm assuming November Rain is as well.
Quote by :-D
Nope, the clean intro on Knockin' On Heaven's Door is Slash, as is the clean intro to Civil War. I'm assuming November Rain is as well.

are you sure about that, because you can here slash soloing over the clean rythm.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
In every live performance I've seen, Slash has always done those clean introductions. In the studio the solos over the clean rhythms were likely overdubbed.
slashs pickups (alnico II pros) are a big part of it. i believe he uses them on is new epiphone les paul. he also uses (im prty sure) a different amp than what you have.
I add a bit of chorus for Slash's clean tone, and I use the bridge pick up. It's not identical, but it's pretty close.
Quote by :-D
In every live performance I've seen, Slash has always done those clean introductions. In the studio the solos over the clean rhythms were likely overdubbed.

you're right about that. Don't Cry is Izzy though, during the intro. Slash does the Feedback.

On Knockin' on heaven's door, Izzy's guitar is slightly distorted, at times.

But yeah if you look up Wild Horses in Tokyo '92 on Youtube, I REALLY like Slash's clean tone there. Im trying to get his cleans too, but I think I'm going to need a change of pickups to the Alnico II pros.
hey about who does the clean...slash and gilby/izzy do the clean untill the solo then gilby.izzy keep the clean and slash takes the solos
Quote by hell_monkey

Guitarcenter/Musiciansfriend only sell the Alnico II Pros with the Gold Cover, which add to the price.

At, Warmoth.com (Scroll Down for the Alnico II Pros) they're $86 each.

Cheaper than $100+
Presence: 0, Bass: 9, Mid: 3, Treble: 5 1/2.

That's from: http://homepage.oniduo.pt/rupean/Slashsound.html

I found that page on a Thread here, I duno what it was called.
Actually, you shouldn't turn the bass up too much. The smooth and low tones in Slash's tone come from having a lower output pickup, a naturally thick-sounding guitar, thicker than usual strings (.11s, tuned down a half step of course which will give even more bass response), and the tone knob rolled down.

Generally, the key is to keep the mids unclipped (i.e. keep them rolled all the way up), only cut down the treble a tiny bit, and the bass should be left in the middle.

Then, have low output humbuckers which have fairly 'equal' tone (Alnico II Pro's are of course the obvious chocie for Slash, though Gibson BurstBucker #1 and #2 can work well, as can other SD pickups like the Pearly Gates), and put them in a chunky guitar with a primarily mahogany body. Get yourself a set mahogany neck too, a rosewood fretboard, make sure it's got a very worn out nitro finish, a nicely made stopbar and tune-o-matic bridge pair (getting a bridge made from a good cast with better quality metal is vital), use .11 Ernie Ball strings (or if you don't want to tune down the half step to Eb, use .12s instead, sonically they'll be about the same), raise the pickups so high they're almost touching the strings, roll the tone knob on your guitar down to about 6 on the bridge and around 3 on the neck, use thick picks (the purple 1.14 Tortex is what Slash uses, I believe), dig the pick pretty hard and alternate where you pick the string, going from just in front of the bridge pickup to over the neck pickup.

Now all you have to do is get Slash's amp cabs, his pre-amp that was lost and that he himself has never been able to replicate since, his cables, pedals, guitar tech, several years of smoke and booze split on the guitar, and finally his fingers, and then you'll have his tone!
^+1

hey since ur an expert, would an Epi les paul custom or a Gibson les paul studio replicate the tones better? (don't suggest anything else, thats all I have to work with)
You need a top hat to get Slash's tone. It all comes from his hat.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by ebbbaaa
You need a top hat to get Slash's tone. It all comes from his hat.

dang, still doesnt work. Maybe i need the curly hair in my eyes too?

anyway, what kind of an amp does he use?
modded 800 i believe.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by GrungeJunkie
dang, still doesnt work. Maybe i need the curly hair in my eyes too?

anyway, what kind of an amp does he use?

For the Appetite Album, he used a Modded JCM 800 2205/2210.

Then he discovered the Marshall Silver Jubilee amps and still uses them to this day, or his Slash signature Jubilee, but he also has a Marshall Vintage Modern with them.

---

And to Grimpenguin. Those guitars will probably get a close sound. They're Les Pauls. And if you change the Epiphone's pickups to Alnico II Pros or the Burstbuckers (as bohuko said) then you would get a close tone.