Does anyone that has an Epiphone Les Paul have trouble playing around the 18-22 frets? Whenever I play around there, my thumb reaches the body and I can't move it anywhere, making it near impossible for me to play. I can't even bend on fret 22 unless I move my thumb to the same position as my other fingers.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
i dont have much trouble.. its a little awkward tho..

i have the Gothic model, but i think they are pretty much all the same
No trouble here. You just need to alter your playing a bit.

You think you got it bad? Mine's like an inch thicker than the Standards.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ holy guacamole!

..but no, i dont have any problems reaching them
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No trouble here. You just need to alter your playing a bit.

You think you got it bad? Mine's like an inch thicker than the Standards.
What kind of LP do you have?
I don't have much trouble just reaching the upper frets, but on all LPs (I find Gibson's and ESP's to have slightly better upper fert access than Epis, but this does still apply to them too) I do have trouble bending the higher frets properly. I too have to adjust my hand postion, and I can only bend with my middle and ring fingers at the high frets, if I try to use my index or little then I can't get the angle right with the rest of my hand and it kills the bend.

I've got fairly thick hands though, and most of my problem comes more from my fingers physically being a little bit too big and overlapping the upper frets, which makes bending a problem, more so than the neck join being too big. When I put my ring finger down on fret 22, it's also covering the entirity of fret 21 and part of fret 20 too, and obviously that's just not comfortable to bend on, with three runs of fret wire digging in to the side of my finger. Again, it's not quite so bad on my ESPs and Gibsons, but even on those it's still a bit of a problem. I've been looking into 25.5" scale LPs with either thru-necks or bolt-on necks so all these problems should go, but nobody seems to make any.
Just part of LPs. And the neck joint is supposed to be thicker than a gibson. I have the standard model epi and the bolt neck LP100. The 100 is alot easier to play up that high as the body is thinner as is the neck joint. But the shorter scale of LPs makes the frets up high really close together and for fatter fingers not so easy to play.
LPs are known for their sometimes awkward and unsatisfyingly short fret access. But no, I don't really have much trouble with what you described. I don't have trouble playing on the first three strings anyway. On the top three, they are nigh impossible to reach.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
On the top three, they are nigh impossible to reach.

Why'd you want to go above about 15th on anything but the top e string anyway? I just shift the notes across to higher strings and lower frets.

Talking of LPs, anyone know where I could get a LP (not too bothered about the brand) with 2 separate volume and tone dials? My strat's lack of ability to have 2 nice tones purely on the selector switch is really annoying, and I'd like a sustain/tone upgrade too. Only thing I can see that strats've got over LP's is the whammy bar, which I never use anyway.
Quote by MopMaster
Why'd you want to go above about 15th on anything but the top e string anyway? I just shift the notes across to higher strings and lower frets.

Talking of LPs, anyone know where I could get a LP (not too bothered about the brand) with 2 separate volume and tone dials? My strat's lack of ability to have 2 nice tones purely on the selector switch is really annoying, and I'd like a sustain/tone upgrade too. Only thing I can see that strats've got over LP's is the whammy bar, which I never use anyway.

I've heard good things about these: http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000amber.html
Quote by FRDesign
What kind of LP do you have?

LP Supreme.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^lucky.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^lucky.

not lucky. Just broke.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster