Poll: Which do you like best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you like best?
ESP SV Standard / Alexi Signature
77 32%
Jackson Randy Rhoads
147 62%
Other V-style model (Specify)
13 5%
Voters: 237.
Page 1 of 5
I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on what they personally like better for playing metal.

I'm going to get one of the three, and I was recently deciding between them. The only real advantage to the Alexi sig (to me) would be the that it's much cheaper, and able to be bought here in the U.S.

What do you all prefer?

Oh, and if anyone knows if the US Alexi Sigs (in the white) have the black in solid stripes (like it shows on the website) or the pinstripes (like the SV) I'd also really like to know

Thanks!
You're talking about the LTD version of the Alexi Laiho V.

Get an Jackson RR24! As much as I love LTD's I'd have to pick the Jackson model over the Alexi V.
No, I'm talking about the ESP, not the LTD

and I tried out a RR1, but how does the RR24 differ?
Quote by Delanoir
No, I'm talking about the ESP, not the LTD

and I tried out a RR1, but how does the RR24 differ?

24 frets, single EMG81 in the bridge
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by tommyt
24 frets, single EMG81 in the bridge

Ah, I see, thank you.

Anyone know how much it costs and what goes into the process of installing a neck pickup into a guitar (like the ones in question) when there isn't one?
Quote by Delanoir
Ah, I see, thank you.

Anyone know how much it costs and what goes into the process of installing a neck pickup into a guitar (like the ones in question) when there isn't one?
A Lot, You would have to route it out for the pickup, then route out stuff for the wiring, paint it, Buy the pickup and the wiring, wire it up.

At a shop I bet its around $400
Quote by FRDesign
A Lot, You would have to route it out for the pickup, then route out stuff for the wiring, paint it, Buy the pickup and the wiring, wire it up.

At a shop I bet its around $400

Well, damn

But that makes sense. At least you could just do it whenever you wanted to, though.
Quote by jake911
I think the Alexi has better upper fret acces

Actually, not really. I have no problem reaching the 22nd fret on my Rhoads with my index finger.
An SV Standard.
I saw one in fairdeal music in Birmingham (didn't look at it too much, a JEM20th was to the left of it) a while back, two humbuckers, floyd rose, 24 frets, I think the pickups were EMGs (most likely, seeing as it's ESP) in black and yellow (may've been another colour, but was definately black).

OR a Jackson RR1, though this lacks the 24th fret.
However I'd probably pick an RR1 if I had the choice (don't like EMGs or the fact I'd be considered an Alexi rip off)
Quote by Vittu0666
Actually, not really. I have no problem reaching the 22nd fret on my Rhoads with my index finger.

he said the alexi had better, not that the RR had bad access.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
he said the alexi had better, not that the RR had bad access.

And I was trying to prove that the Rhoads has just as good upper fret access.
Well it really depends on what you want to spend and how you want to spend it. Honestly, if all you need is what the Alexi has, then nab it. I'd say go for the Alexi because it will be easier for you to get money to buy a new amp and other gear...but, if you get the Alexi, you immediately want to get a new pickup. Take the EMG Hz out and put in an 81.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Well if we are talking Esp-ltd Alexi-600 it is VERY POOR quality for its price. I might add my RR24 destroys any LTD alexi guitars just like that!

I might be buying a Edwards alexi next and rip out the pickup and put in a SH-5 but thats as far as it goes. The USA alexi shapes are uncomfortable and ugly. The shape is ****in unpractical! Jackson RR shape is smaller and much nicer to play IMO.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Quote by Vittu0666
And I was trying to prove that the Rhoads has just as good upper fret access.

I don't see how that prove it has just as good. You might be able to reach it on the RR with your hands but it might be harder for someone with small hands. Plus you didn't compare them you just made a statement that it was easy for you to reach the 22nd on your RR.

The alexi has an extra cutout to allow easier fret access. plus it has 24 frets rather than 22 for most RR models so you need that bit extra. I can reach the 22nd fret on my squier strat with my index finger and that hasn't got the greatest fret access in the world.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
wtf people!!! The cutout on the alexi was made because the neck joint is FURTHER UP than on a jackson!! Imagine the cutout not existing and you will see if it would not exist it would have MUCH WORSE upper fret acess. It's just as hard/easy on a goddamn Jackson than on a ESP Alexi. Believe me! Ive tried both.

Not Much worse but you can clearly see the neck is mounted further into the body. It atleast looks that way.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by element4433
Can you see what i mean? I removed the cutout on paint. The Jackson has less between neck and body. A bit clumsy but you get the idea?

Sorry for the clumsy paint picture but it would look almost like that!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Last edited by phenom1991 at Mar 16, 2008,
You see it? The Cutout just makes it EQUAL to a jackson. Don't bull**** me boy...ESP and Jackson have so different neck joints the upper fret access on a RR shape would be poor! His New pink sawtooth has a upper fret acess way superior to jackson though. BUT NOT THOSE OTHER MODELS.

@Lemoninfluence: Thats a computer rendered pic ya know Try both before you try to be smart about it. The fret access difference is so small you wouldnt believe it. Atleast for me it is!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by phenom1991
Can you see what i mean? I removed the cutout on paint. The Jackson has less between neck and body. A bit clumsy but you get the idea?

compare it to the original rhoads then if you're gonna add stuff on.

my point is that with the cutout, the fret access is much better.

Quote by element4433
To original rhoads? RR1? I can't it has 22 frets! That's the thing closest. Yes...have you tried both guitars? It clearly sounds like you have not...and then you are NOT qualified for saying it has better fret acess.

EDIT: AH NOW I GET IT! YOU MEAN LIKE THAT...hold on.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Because we are talking about US alexi shape might i prove it to you how it is. Look closely. It's not a big difference at all. The fret access is EQUAL. Ive tried them both. Not to mention i own one of them.

Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

The cutout on the Alexi still gives better upper fret access. It doesn't matter if it has a higher neck joint or whatever the hell you are trying to say...
Be cool.
^Have you tried both guitars...?

EDIT: And yeah it actually matters. It matters in the way that the deeper in the "neck" starts the more body there is in the way for upper frets.

EDIT2: In practical use the difference of the cutout is more subtle than you know.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

I've got a ESP SV Standard. It's slightly bigger than my friends Jackson RR, and have 24 frets instead of 22 as the Jacksons have. Also, it came with EMG81 pickups both in the neck and the bridge, instead of Seymoar Duncans. It was a bit more expensive tho.
Quote by thedude051
The cutout on the Alexi still gives better upper fret access. It doesn't matter if it has a higher neck joint or whatever the hell you are trying to say...

lol you silly nut. It matters a whole lot. If the neck joint was at the 12th fret, would it not matter?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Both guitars are sweet...but i can't stress enough that the cutout is more subtle than people think!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by phenom1991
To original rhoads? RR1? I can't it has 22 frets! That's the thing closest. Yes...have you tried both guitars? It clearly sounds like you have not...and then you are NOT qualified for saying it has better fret acess.

EDIT: AH NOW I GET IT! YOU MEAN LIKE THAT...hold on.

No I mean the ORIGINAL rhoads.

You're changing the design of one to prove that without the cut away it would have worse access. that's obvious. But it does have the cutaway. and you can easily see that the distance between the edge of the body and the 24th fret on the alexi is less. That said I haven't tried them both and you have. Although you're probably are saying that they are equal because you don't have any trouble on either reaching the 24th. But just from sight alone I'd say that the ESP has better fret access.

Quote by element4433
lol this is a dumb arguement. What it really comes down to is if youre comfortable with the fret access each guitar offers. I can be even a personal matter. So dont get into a pursefight ladies and settle down.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
the cutout just makes it seem like you get more fret access than a rr jackson, but you dont because of the neck joint starting earlier. they are about equal, but the jackson looks better than the esp(imo). also i hate esp because they copy jackson in every way, so my opinion on this subject is biased
@Lemoninfluence: Yeah could be because im used to the one i have now. Yeah well for short fingers it MIGHT add a subtle help but it really depends on your hand position alot too.

And for the original rhoads...ah you meant that one. Really poor acess indeed. ESP goes way above that one in acess.

I can also add...i love both ESP and Jackson guitars. LTD are not that good IMO but they are okay.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

^Yeah ive seen that. I always wonder why they have to ruin a hot guitar like that with dot inlays
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

+

=

That's a Seymour duncan SH-5 btw.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

more like small amounts of win^ if i was going to have one pickup in a v shaped guitar it would be an emg, not a seymour duncan(even though they are awsome pickups
I have EMG 81 now...I think the SH-5 has superior tone. I won't put active into my next guitar...i prefer a moderate output pickup. I can't believe you like EMG more :p SD has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY warmer tone. Well...it's opinion. Anyhoooo...the guitar comes with EMG HZ H4....and that pickup sucks big balls of a bull!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by phenom1991

haha

Quoted for truth though.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
^Right on! I think SD is t3h win myself. I still think EMG 81 is a pretty good pickup but it still has some bad qualities.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

if i had a V, it would be a metal guitar and nothing else, so i would get an emg because it is my preference an would give me a greater output. i said i liked seymour duncans, but really if i had a V i would put something with more punch in it
Page 1 of 5