what guitar mags do you get if any

i get total guitar, and sometimes guitar world

you?
I got Guitar World until I realized that I could get tabs for free online with powertab and the columns said the same thing every issue.

If you don't get it, I'm not much a fan.
Total Guitar sucks. All you get is tabs (which can be found here) of whatever is popular, and guest lessons.

Whereas Guitar Techniques has in-depth lessons on theory and technique, and covers all styles.
Call me Batman.
Since were on the topic of guitar mags, does anyone know what ever happened to Guitar One?

I used to get it all the time. Then they just..stopped.
Quote by emad
Wrong forum.
/Pit
I disagree. MT is for us to discuss things relevant to musicians. Magazines with technique and theory instructions as well as transcriptions are quite relevant to musicians.
I would say the best things about magazine are the lessons. No not the "what is a blues scale?" lessons but the columns with licks or rhythm ideas in it from different players. All these tidbits can give you a much needed kick in the head as for creativity. Even the most mundane things can lead you to create something new off of it.

As for the gear advice, articles and tabs...you can just through that away.

EDIT: Oh, I also heard John Petrucci's wife saying that Petrucci is always going through a whole stack of mags cutting things out when he's home(not on tour, not pwning n00bs )
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by JRohr
Since were on the topic of guitar mags, does anyone know what ever happened to Guitar One?

I used to get it all the time. Then they just..stopped.

the company that owns guitar world bought the company that owned guitar one, and they actually merged the two magazines. if you look at a current issue of guitar world, you'll see a few columns that used to be in guitar one, such as "soloing strategies" by Tom Kolb, and a few others
youve convinced me to get guitar world
kewl

(,,,)(o.o)(,,,)
Cara-Mellllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fuuudge!!!!!!!!!!!
What do you guys think about Guitarist? I like that one.
When I was starting out a year ago I used to get TG. Then slowly but steadily with each issue i read less and less of it. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good mag and Ed is great, but Guitarist is better in my opinion.

Plus I live in Iceland and the book shops here don't really have the biggest selection of guitar mags...
Quote by J.A.M
Total Guitar sucks. All you get is tabs (which can be found here) of whatever is popular, and guest lessons.

Whereas Guitar Techniques has in-depth lessons on theory and technique, and covers all styles.

Most internet tab are not correct where as the ones from Total Guitar are prefessionaly transcribed. You also get the Music notation with the tab, not to mention a cd rom with lessons.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
total guitar is awful really. I mean, they give you tabs to songs along with 'amp settings' as if everyone is just going to be able to tune their amp into that and bingo! have the sound.

That and its full of whatever band happens to be popular at the moment. I have one with an interview with loads of guitarists in, including devin townsend (syl) and steph carpenter (deftones) and they spent most of the interview talking to the damned guitarists from dragonforce, bullet and trivium. Asshats.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Most internet tab are not correct where as the ones from Total Guitar are prefessionaly transcribed. You also get the Music notation with the tab, not to mention a cd rom with lessons.

I find that incorrect tabs can be a good learning experience; my ears will tell me if they're wrong.
The lessons from TG are nothing on GT. There's no Jazz or Progressive, and little Blues stuff. Shaun Baxter's Creative Rock column is worth it alone for the sheer amount of weird info the guy knows. Take this months issue; who here has actually heard of the Dominant Pentatonic? I hadn't.
Call me Batman.
Picked up Guitar Edge for the Eruption tab. Found some of it was wrong x)
But yeah, I really only decide to pick up guitar magazines if they have decent tabs//lessons. Otherwise I just get that info from the internet.
♥xx♥

Quote by J.A.M
I find that incorrect tabs can be a good learning experience; my ears will tell me if they're wrong.
The lessons from TG are nothing on GT. There's no Jazz or Progressive, and little Blues stuff. Shaun Baxter's Creative Rock column is worth it alone for the sheer amount of weird info the guy knows. Take this months issue; who here has actually heard of the Dominant Pentatonic? I hadn't.

Its your opinion not to like it but dont act like it has nothing but tab. It also has interviews from bands, lessons on scales and chords, gear reviews and a cd rom with backing tracks.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.