So, I'm looking at getting one of these puppies for some low-down jazz lines, and to sound cool/impress friends, but I had a few questions.

- Do the strings wear out like normal metal ones?
- Where can I get new strings?
- How accurate is the sound to a double bass?
- Any concerns about quality (craftsmanship, reliability, etc.)?
- All in all, worth the $300?

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Pink Muse at Mar 16, 2008,
links to informative websites would be helpful
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
An 18" scale will not sound like a double bass. Its almost half the length of a REGULAR bass. Thats not saying I wouldn't want to play one to see what its like. The whole idea of an 18" scale bass wont give you much technique wise. Seems a bit toyish to me.
It might seem like a toy, but it's a very interesting instrument. If you're at all interested in that type of sound, I would try one out.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Toyish is a good word.

If you are wondering if it is worth 300 dollars... maybe if you are wealthy, if not you will be buying something frivilous.

btw.. If I saw someone playing this, I would first be very confused, then very sad; for I would be looking at someone who I would consider having no music awesomeness.

but warning- I am mean.. Save the 300 and put it towards a nice effects pedal or head that you could get a double- bassish sound from.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Money's not really an issue. I got lucky with a will, that's all I can really say. I'm not going to paint the town and buy every little thing, but I have some money set aside for my personal entertainment.

I guess I'll try it out at the store, which was what I was planning to do.

Anyone know anything about the reliability?
I knew someone had posted on this bass not too long ago. I have never tried one myself but here was kranoscorp's review from a previous thread on travel basses.

Thoughts on the Ashbury
This travel bass is the smallest on the list, coming at a miniscule 18" scale. This is both a blessing and a curse. At 18", it is probably as portable as you can get, however for some (myself included) it is too small. It also features a piezo pickup, and comes in a fretless version. It comes in multiple colors, so it is not too sore on the eyes.

TLDR version
PROS
-very portable
-piezo pickup
CONS
-18" scale may be too small

Hope this helps!
... damn.

Well, it helped a lot, actually. I think I'll buy one. If nothing else, I have a novelty bass that I can sell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD4SwJlqzWc

That'll hopefully explain a few things and give you a rough idea for how it sounds.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

It seems verry worth 300 bucks to me.I might just get one too.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
i listened to 1 once and it sounded kind of double bass(no the same thing but similar)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400