Okay, we all know that MG and spider suck, and we regard them as bad tone. However, I beginning to see we have a lot of what I call stupid tone: that is, treating bad tone as good tone, and good old tube tone as bad. For example:

Quote by asfastasdark
OK, get either a Marshall amp for at least 300 bucks... Those are my recommendations. I was asking around for distortion pedals a little while ago, and I got the reply to get an amp with distortion built in... I went to Guitar Center to try it out and man, unbelievable how much sound comes out of it, how good quality sound, and a ton of effects... A Marshall of course gives top-quality sound, so if you can get a 300+ dollar one, you're good to go with that as well. Really depends on your budget and whether you are for a ton of sound of great quality or a good amount of sound with good quality and some effects, and cheaper. But if you go even more expensive you can get a Marshall with effects built in.

he's referring to the MG50DFX, so yeah...

Another example is my friend's band was performing one night. They are provided with a Hot Rod Deluxe and a MG50, and since he is the lead, he start out with a Hot rod Deluxe, but he said the tone is bad, and blame his "missing notes" (Think of hitting a wrong note on GH), and then switch over to the MG50 the venue have. He said it has a good tone, but the rhytmn said that he does not have a problem with the Hot Rod, so clearly, the Hot Rod Deluxe is not a problem (Plus, all the other bands are performing just fine). When I ask my friend, he prefer something that is very bassy, very fizzy and buzzy that can cover his mistake.

So what about you guys? Do you know anyone that have "stupid tone"?
Last edited by Jestersage at Mar 16, 2008,
the only thing that i see is that your friend is a bad guitar player
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Jestersage
When I ask my friend, he prefer something that is very bassy, very fizzy and buzzy that can cover his mistake.

Wait, I think I get it, he's retarded right?
I mean tone is pretty subjective. I personally hate it when people boost their highs to unbelievable levels but keep bass and mids near 0, it kills my ears.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by asfastasdark
I was asking around for distortion pedals a little while ago, and I got the reply to get an amp with distortion built in

Cos they're really rare these days. Thank God for distortion pedals, or the majority of us would be stuck with a boring clean sound.
Well, it seems that there are many people who seems to think SS > tube, and would recommend MG over anything else.

And the fact that Static X (MG100HDFX) is treated as "good" means we really need to worry.
Quote by blue_strat
Cos they're really rare these days. Thank God for distortion pedals, or the majority of us would be stuck with a boring clean sound.

what are you kidding? these days?! its very common for amps to have a "built-in" distortion. actually almost all amps do. if an amp doesnt its generally not worth buying unless it has godly clean.

back in the day there wasnt much for distortiong except driving power tubes hard, tubescreamers, fuzz pedals, and tearing up your cab's grill so it rubs against its self to create some distortion. so you are incredibly wrong.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
what are you kidding? these days?! its very common for amps to have a "built-in" distortion. actually almost all amps do. if an amp doesnt its generally not worth buying unless it has godly clean.

back in the day there wasnt much for distortiong except driving power tubes hard, tubescreamers, fuzz pedals, and tearing up your cab's grill so it rubs against its self to create some distortion. so you are incredibly wrong.

hahahahhaha people are funny...he was kidding man
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
I know sarcasm is usually hard to read through text but. Damn.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Quote by Otsugua713
hahahahhaha people are funny...he was kidding man

is this a joke thread then? cuz i cant tell. i take stupidity seriously. im a professional moron lol. but ignorance on such a topic as this is bad....

and static X really uses an MG?! no wonder i hate them.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
is this a joke thread then? cuz i cant tell. i take stupidity seriously. im a professional moron lol. but ignorance on such a topic as this is bad....

and static X really uses an MG?! no wonder i hate them.

Well, not really so much of a joke thread, but I want to see if you guys know anyone who actually will say "spider/MG rocks" or "tube sucks"

and yes... Static X ACTUALLY use MG100.
dam i guess that explains why i hate their tone and them in general. thats sad >_>.

but er i dont know anyone who has said that. i laugh everytime i see it tho.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!