Hey guys, I have my Mark IV 1x12 combo as you can see in my sig. I want to build a 1x12 extension cab. Now my amp has one 8 ohm output and two 4 ohm outputs. The speaker from the combo is 8ohm, so that will obviously need the 8 ohm output. My problem is that pretty much all speakers come either 8 ohm or 16ohm, and since it will be a 1 speaker cab, there is no way to get it to 4 ohms. Anyone know how I can do this? Is there a way? Thank you
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Why do you need it to be 4 ohms? If you want an extension cab, you need an 8 ohm speaker. Two 8 ohm speakers give you 4 ohm. This means that if you an 8 ohm extension cab and the 8 ohm internal speaker, you get 4 ohm and plug them into each of the 4 ohm outputs.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by bshizzle911
Hey guys, I have my Mark IV 1x12 combo as you can see in my sig. I want to build a 1x12 extension cab. Now my amp has one 8 ohm output and two 4 ohm outputs. The speaker from the combo is 8ohm, so that will obviously need the 8 ohm output. My problem is that pretty much all speakers come either 8 ohm or 16ohm, and since it will be a 1 speaker cab, there is no way to get it to 4 ohms. Anyone know how I can do this? Is there a way? Thank you
You're doing it wrong.
You WANT to buy an 8 ohm speaker.
Those 4 ohm jacks are in parallel
When you connect BOTH speakers,
you need to connect both the Internal 8 ohm speaker AND the 8 ohm extension cab to the 4 ohm jacks.

8 ohms in parallel with 8 ohm = 4 ohms.

When you use only one 8 ohm speaker, use the 8 ohm jack.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I'm sorry, I'm not following this.

To my understanding, the speaker/s get wired TO the jack and then you plug a cable from that jack into your amp?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
Quote by bshizzle911
I'm sorry, I'm not following this.
1 - Turn your amp off.

2 - Remove the plug for the internal speaker from the 8-ohm jack on the amp chassis.

3 - Insert the plug for the internal speaker into one of the 4-ohm jacks.

4 - Insert the plug for the cable that goes to extension cab into the other 4-ohm jack.

5 - Turn your amp on.

6 - ?????????

7 - PROFIT!!!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Uh that's not right, because for one, the internal speaker is 8 ohm......

nice try tho.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
^Ehm yes that's exactly what you do...

Running two 8 ohm speakers gives you 4 ohms and then go into the 4 ohm jacks....
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

No, see you missed my point. I understand how to get two 8 ohm speakers to equal 4 ohms, But I'm asking how do I do it with a 1x12 extension cab that only has ONE speaker which is either 8 ohm or 16 ohm?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
Well if the extension has an 8 ohm speaker and the internal is 8 ohm, then you have 2x 8 ohm speakers, right? 2x 8 ohm speakers resulslt in a load of 4 ohms. That means you plug the cab into the 4 ohm output and the internal speaker to the 4 ohm output.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by bshizzle911
No, see you missed my point. I understand how to get two 8 ohm speakers to equal 4 ohms, But I'm asking how do I do it with a 1x12 extension cab that only has ONE speaker which is either 8 ohm or 16 ohm?

Gah, you're really not understanding here. When you use the 4 ohm jacks, you're going to be running the stock internal speaker (8 ohms) in parallel with the external speaker (also 8 ohms).
(1/8 + 1/8) / 1 = 4
Now, if we pop on over to the Mark IV Manual, it clearly states that you must use two 8 ohms cabinets to connect to the 4 ohm inputs (I'd copy the text, but it's password protected).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ok I get it now. I didn't realize that each jack affected the other.
So using the 8 0hm internal and the 8 ohm 1x12 extension is like using one 8 ohm 2x12 cab except that each speaker is plugged in separately.

Seems kinda scary doing it tho. haha thanks
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai