do u buy an expensive guitar and put minor mods in it or do u buy a relitivly cheaper guitar and do major mods?
Last edited by s0liddante at Mar 16, 2008,
It all depends... Be more specific.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
would u buy a 600+ guitar and change the strings and mayb a pickup or do u by a less expensive guitar and change almost everything like the bridge and pickups.
you would have to wonder to change strings on a guitar?
My Gear:
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
in the past i've bought cheaper guitars and modded them, but its probably better to buy expensive ones.
I would go for the first one in that case. Changing the bridge, provided floating, might alter the playability from your original neck radius, and you don't want that. Plus, you can't get the good features such as expensive wood or neck from a cheap guitar.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I build my guitars from warmoth hah. No need to mod what I make to my own taste.
I beg to differ on the availability of cheap guitars with expensive wood or neck. Some of the older (70-80's) Korean and Jap guitars were very well made with sweet figured maple tops and solid mahogany necks and backs. Many were bolt ons but set necks are out there.
I personally have an old Samick LP with a mustache peghead and I challenge you to match the wood and the flame. I got it at a pawn shop for $120. I did change out the pups. If you have patience and look at the guitar not the name you can get some very good old guitars. By the way you can get the hose job with a high priced name guitar, just go to e-bay and look at all the "guitar-projects" that are name brands (splits necks etc) With just about anything you buy it is buyer beware and what the buyer is comfortable with. Some people can't get their Johnson up unless they are playing a name brand.
I used to buy cheaper guitars and mod them but I'm never really satisfied. They turned out to be jammers nevertheless but always something I don't like about 'em.

I found that out when I got my custom made guitar. I gave the luthier the specs I want on the guitar and there it is, I'm very satisfied and now my fav axe.
Just ask a straight forward question, then we'll be able to help you more. What guitars are you looking at getting?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I only change stuff If I don't like it
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I almost always end up modding guitars to my taste, but my buying is determined only by how much cash I've got.

My Tele for example is Japanese reissue so it's already a fine guitar, but i still made lots of changes for little personal things like adding 5-way switch, reversed control plate, LP-style input jack etc.