So I'm sure all the regulars are tired of me finding a new amp i want, asking about it, and then changing my mind. I went from cravin to ampeg to eden and did some other ones inbetween too. Well, I finally bought myself a high quality amp and i want to show it off a bit. what else is a bass forum good for if i can't show off my new stuff right!?! Went to the shop today and played through many different amps i played swr's, ampeg, hartke's, and then i played a peavey vb-2. it was amazing. so i bought it. $906 US cash on the spot. after taxes that is. it sounds amazing and is loud enough i actually decided to turn down tonight at practice with 2 guitarists running 100 watts tube each! so now the band is all tube all around 2 guitars and a bass all tube. it sounds awesome. so here it is. just wanted to show off. Oh thought i'd mention that i'm playing that wonderful purple Ibanez sb900 i got not too long ago through it.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116722/Tour(TM)%20VB-2.cfm
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Seems pretty hot - kind of reminds me of the Traynor YBA-200 for some reason..
What cab are you playing it through?
Looks sweet. My only gripe would be the 3 band EQ (although the mid position can be changed). Look into a nice rackmount EQ to go with it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Looks sweet. My only gripe would be the 3 band EQ (although the mid position can be changed). Look into a nice rackmount EQ to go with it.

Tube amps have a habit of only having 3 band eq's.

To TS nice one, but stick some 6550's in there

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
you can't stick 6550's in only el34's and i think 6c7a's or somethin like that. the manual is with the bass amp head at the barn where we practice. Fully heated and such so don't worry about the amp. I amp playing it through 2 crate 4x10's but the mix is actually a good one. when i played it at the store you could go from a tone that was good but not muddy to a ridiculously bright punchy ugly tone. it had tones of great tone inbetween though of course. now with thecrates i can go anywhere from muddy and deep to just slightly too bright for my tastes. so as long as the crates hold up they're a great match for thehead. If you don't remember i got the crate cabinets used in december i think for real cheap. each cabinet has 400 watts rms so if i want to get another head and runthem both i can lol. just think 550 watts all tube. that's more than if i stuck 6550s in there.

Also about the eq. it's already extremely veratile. with the presence knob and the resonance along with the 3 band eq with the adjustable mid it's great. the only thing i kinda wish is that i could get a seperate eq for my distortion channel. but the distortion is a great channel anyway. it's what bass distortion should be. your note is there but there's a fuzz to it. and if you really crank that gain you get more like metal distortion.

I also plugged my brother's squire guitar into it(with humbuckers). he plays a fender but i used his squire as he was currently playing his fender. If i took off some bass and put up the mids and treble i actually got a great sound out of it clean and distorted for guitar. the presence knob kind of worked as my treble knob for it. this is important to me because i also have a dean semihollowbody guitar i play with sometimes. And let me tell you that thing was LOUD when i plugged the guitar into it. holy crap. 225 watt tube with 810's. it was ridiculous.

Before this head i was thinking about putting bartolini's in that purple bass but now. i'm not changing anything.

except maybe a 2x15 or something like that in the future. If i ever see a good 2x18 for a good price i'd have to try it out that's for sure.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
ya i have had a 130 watt and a 60 watt combo of theirs. And i hear that their stuff is solid quality. I moved my 130 watt home and back to practice for a year and didnt have any problems with it. i know moving electronics constantly can cause issues. sometimes in the soldering and such from the slight jolts. that thing was a tank. until i broke it. not the amp's fault i didnt' know what i was doing at the time. plugged a preamp into it's regular input for a while. blew something inside. but that's my fault. now the 60 watt is coming home with me for home practice. Although i'll say that i don't think i'll ever buy solid state again...unless something really impresses me but i think this will be the head i use for a long time to come. maybe like my lead guitarist with his late 70's 50 watt marshall tube head and his early 80's 50 watt marshall tube head. he still uses them and he got them new so ya.

Oh ya that reminds me. I was gonna get the eden that i posted on here a while ago. but when i went there friday morning with the cash in my pocket they had already sold it. now i couldn't be happier!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
you can't stick 6550's in only el34's and i think 6c7a's or somethin like that. the manual is with the bass amp head at the barn where we practice.

I think you can put them in if you get it rebiased.

Oh and you cant go...

head ---> cab <--- head

You could split the signal and go into two seperate cabs like this tho...

Bass ---> signal A ---> amp A ---> cab A
|---> signal B ---> amp B ---> cab B

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
no the manual states when replacing hte tubes only use el34's and that other one i'm not sure the exact name but it's not 6550's i know. and what are you talking about

head ---> cab <--- head

i have 2 cabs. each 8 ohm. i imagine you're talking abotu my getting a second head and runnign both.

the instruction manual mentions using the buffered tuner out to run a second amp as if the tuner out was a slave out. i know it metions one of hteouts that way. ithink it'sthe tuner. and anyways that's just hypothetical i don't have that kind ofmoney.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 16, 2008,
6ca7's are the other tubes i could put into it...just curious does one have more power than the other? OK actually apparently they're both of the same familyof tubes but now i want to know where to get a matched sextet of tubes. places only offer quartets as far as i can find. i'm not planning on changing htem of course i'm just curious.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 16, 2008,
6550's are about 50W each i think.

I'm going to get you to put 6550's in this beast even if it needs biasing!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
biasing is not the problem. they are not the same family of tubes thus it would cause damage. if they even work. you must bias anytime you change the tubes. duh.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I thought it was that you can put any tube in (so long as they physically fit) and you only need to rebias when you change family.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
no you rebias anytime you change tubes and you can't change familys as far as i can tell. that's why it tell you to only use el34 or 6ac7's. and it does tell you to have it professionally biased any time you replace even a single tube....and you're suppose to change all power tubes at the same time.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Ah okay cool. Thanks for the heads up!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
wouldn't want to leave you in the dark and have you do something bad to a tube amp you get someday. and btw. everyone should go buy a tube amp. now! they're great. lol
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Lol, ive played a few tube amps before and I've decided that SS is the way!

I've played a VBA400 for a couple of hours - uses EL34's, sounded too modern, and a bit rough.

Played an Orange AD200 full stack for a gig - uses 6550's, very vintage, long repsonse time, smoother overall.

When I play tube amps I can appriciate the warmth but it othen doesnt have the edge I sorta like. Slow response times are also a bit of a nag. Not to mention the price!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
...too modern from a tube amp. that seems like an oxymoron. and you can adjust how loose or tight your sound is. I'll admit though that ss has more of an edge. it annoys me. i listen to classic rock and here the bass and think that's what i want to sound like deep and powerful. ss can sometimes get close but they're still too dry sounding to me. don't know how to put it but dry is close.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
...too modern from a tube amp. that seems like an oxymoron. and you can adjust how loose or tight your sound is. I'll admit though that ss has more of an edge. it annoys me. i listen to classic rock and here the bass and think that's what i want to sound like deep and powerful. ss can sometimes get close but they're still too dry sounding to me. don't know how to put it but dry is close.

Yeah, I realised when I typed but if you try it you'll know what I mean, it was very bitey and tbh felt like a bass version of a guitar amp and they were pushing for you to scoop the mids and stuff lol!

The orange was very different!

I'm caught between vintage yet wanting to retain some edge.

About response times, the response from a tube felt liek it had a slower attack but the decay was smoother and longer (better compression perhaps), from an SS it's more instantaneous but the decay is shorter and sharper.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
ya i know what you mean. i like to have a smooth constant sound over a harsh or even biting attack or however you say it. i admit it's all personal preferance...but to me why prefer anything other than tubes. lol jk. also in the way of price. this 225 watt tube amp is way louder than any other amp i've played on. i've gone about to 500 watts ss. it's not a small difference. it's huge. especially in the band situation. you just seem to cut through so much better. i guess what i'm saying is that tube amps are made to be your final amp purchase. that dream amp. so they're expensive and well made so you'll never need a new amp....just new tubes lol.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Yeahh I like the volume boost by tubes.

Shame it's not clean all the way to the top. Saying that, neither is SS but then you get a 1200W SS amp and you wont ever need to crank it

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
TS, congrats on the amp! I suggested this one to a friend, for the money you can't touch it if tube amps are your thing. You should join the all-tube bass amp owners club
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i can get pretty close to the ampeg sound from an ampeg svt-cl with it. and it's so versatile it's amazing.I can get so many sounds. i'd rate it with how people say jazz basses are versatile. while i don't like the feel of fenders personally i'll say that a good mia jazz bass sounds nice. and it is very versatile.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian