As you may have read, I am having problems with chords.

The problem basically likes in the fact that my fingers are too large to traditionally do them.

Is there any exercises I could do to salve this?
hold the neck like your holding a bowling ball not a poptart. arch your fingers.
Quote by whatadrag
hold the neck like your holding a bowling ball not a poptart. arch your fingers.

No, the pads on my fingers mute the higher string. The only way they don't mute the higher string is if I keep my thumb on the very bottom of the neck and push my wrist all the way up.

I know that is the cooking-cutter response, but this might require a bit of actual help not copy/paste.

Not-working (but comfortable):

Working (but annoying):
Quote by whatadrag

do you mean thumb on the middle of the back of the neck? ive seen a lot of guitarists play power chords with their hand wrapped around the neck. I can do that whilst sitting but then my playing becomes sloppy. which is the correct method?
This happened to my mate too. He wasent arching his fingers enough. While he was playing I was just constantly putting his fingers in the right position and he eventually got it. Just keep at it man, I imagine alot of people with big fingers can play guitar.
everyone feels that way when they start...when i started i always thought my fingers were too fat or big to play any open chords..but that obviously was not true..just keep trying really hard...it may take some time but you'll get there finally..make sure the correct part of your fingers are pressing onto the strings..it usually is gonna hurt at first though, if its an acoustic..the first few months are the hardest, its like that for everyone

for a real basic idea of playing a chord watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsikHXIkk7g
Last edited by thebl@de at Mar 16, 2008,
Thanks guys, I guess I have to just keep practicing.

Quote by HomerSGR
Is it just me, or does that fretboard need cleaning?

It's an HD camera.

Because jpegs are in 72ppi by default, then a picture with 400-500+ ppi will obvoisly blow up. This makes the imperfections that much easier to see.

You really need 1kw lamps just to properly light the picture. But since I did not feel like setting up a set for these pics, sorry :X
Quote by ezza61
This happened to my mate too. He wasent arching his fingers enough. While he was playing I was just constantly putting his fingers in the right position and he eventually got it. Just keep at it man, I imagine alot of people with big fingers can play guitar.

ya ezza, i do the same thing but my fathers helping me keep my thumb in the right place.
My old guitar teacher had insanely fat fingers (he wasn't fat though which was slightly weird) and he had no trouble with chords, in fact he was better than alot of pros with them :P.
Just keep practicing, play however's comfortable. I play barre chords the same way you do and I don't really find it that uncomfortable.Every time you form a chord, ring each string individually, listen for ones that don't ring, correct the fingering problem and check again. If you keep doing that you'll have it down in no time.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1