I know alot of people probably post here about sweeping...
I JUST CAN'T get a hang of it. My right hand movements like that have become accustomed to chords...

Is there any other way to help this problem? Maybe I just need 1 on 1 directional for the first time.

It's not complicated, I know. IT's actually quite simple. But it's just not cutting...

Maybe there are good songs with simple sweeps that I could practice?

Thanks y'all.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
ONE by metallica has a couple easy sweeps in the first solo that are pretty easy to master, i use it for my 8 year old students and they catch on pretty quick. one thing you could do to get the hang of the sweeping technique is just scraping the pick back and forth from the 6th string up to the first and then back to the 6th without actually playing anything on the fretboard itself, just muting the strings. this gets you out of the "chord" motion. of course if your accustomed to playing chords you may not be into enough soloing patterns to move up to sweeping yet. its easy to get the idea of a sweep but when you get into complicated arrpegios its still one of the hardest techniques to master
empty the bullets from the chamber
The first sweep I've done was the sweep in Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold in the verse or something. It only sweeps down though.

I think the sweep solo in dream theater's In the Name of God is a good start, it starts off with a 3 string sweep, that's what got me started.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Quote by Dauntless
ONE by metallica has a couple easy sweeps in the first solo that are pretty easy to master, i use it for my 8 year old students and they catch on pretty quick. one thing you could do to get the hang of the sweeping technique is just scraping the pick back and forth from the 6th string up to the first and then back to the 6th without actually playing anything on the fretboard itself, just muting the strings. this gets you out of the "chord" motion. of course if your accustomed to playing chords you may not be into enough soloing patterns to move up to sweeping yet. its easy to get the idea of a sweep but when you get into complicated arrpegios its still one of the hardest techniques to master

Those aren't sweeps. I can do those. I'm not accustomed to chords either... I'm usually just soloing when I play. Not serious playing. Just messing around.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Those aren't sweeps. I can do those. I'm not accustomed to chords either... I'm usually just soloing when I play. Not serious playing. Just messing around.

if you're not sweeping em dude then you're probly not doing it right, i can pull out three small parts in the solo that should be done with sweep picking. you may not notice because they are short though, like less than a 5 note sweep and i think they only sweep up
empty the bullets from the chamber
The only sweep in the intro solo to One is the small 3-string B minor arpeggio.

TS: You must practice this slowly, it'll feel like you'll never get it but practice very, very slowly with correct technique and you will naturally get faster and more accurate simultaneously.
You're all probably right.

It doesn't help that I've never really put hours nto practicing it.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
You're all probably right.

It doesn't help that I've never really put hours nto practicing it.

Yes, practice is the only way. It took me about three months at about a half hour to an hour a day to get the basic 5-string minor shape down solidly.
On a side note, the technique you gentlemen are talking aobut in 'one' is a rake. It's essentially a really small sweep but it involves no hammer ons and no pull offs, so just fret and play a slower chord.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
^^ That's what I call it.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by CrushedCan
On a side note, the technique you gentlemen are talking aobut in 'one' is a rake. It's essentially a really small sweep but it involves no hammer ons and no pull offs, so just fret and play a slower chord.

No, a rake involves muted strings. A sweep does not suggest a hammer-on or pull-off, it's an arpeggio (with any note pattern you want) of some sort being played using only one stroke per string with the strokes all in the same direction.
Last edited by :-D at Mar 16, 2008,
Damn.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
i was under the impression that a rake was just an up or a down motion, not a combination of the two.

i didnt know it had to do with muting lol.

to the TS: practice. its actually a really easy technique, but takes forever to get down
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Sweeping isn't always an up and down motion either...^^
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals: