Well I will not have my baby back until next Saturday and I'm getting used to my acoustic once again but I've figured out a song I think and I hope you guys can help me tab it out for anyone who wants it.

It goes like this.

A chord ( once and you sweep down ) then it's a Barred D chord ( down sweep And again Barred D chord up sweep G chord ( where it looks like your flipping some one off ) up sweep and the g chord again up sweep.

A little mixolydian scale with 2 bends on the last part of the scale, then back to the chord pattern.

By the way 4/4 timing with a ~ between each chord progression.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Last edited by CortFan1 at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by CortFan1
Well I will not have my baby back until next Saturday and I'm getting used to my acoustic once again but I've figured out a song I think and I hope you guys can help me tab it out for anyone who wants it.

It goes like this.

A chord ( once and you sweep down ) then it's a Barred D chord ( down sweep And again Barred D chord up sweep G chord ( where it looks like your flipping some one off ) up sweep and the g chord again up sweep.

A little mixolydian scale with 2 bends on the last part of the scale, then back to the chord pattern.

Seems to me you're referring to strums instead of sweeps, is that right? "Sweeps" imply arpeggios, so are the notes separated?

EDIT: Elaborate on the Mixolydian part, by "last part of the scale" do you mean the b7?
Quote by :-D
Seems to me you're referring to strums instead of sweeps, is that right? "Sweeps" imply arpeggios, so are the notes separated?

EDIT: Elaborate on the Mixolydian part, by "last part of the scale" do you mean the b7?

And yes b7 but I mean the notes are seprate and the d's have a tie in like this d-d sorry for the bad tie sign ) same with the g's.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Okay, they're separate but they may still just be alternate or economy picked as opposed to sweeping. I'm not understanding the tying part, you'll have to try and clear that up for me.
Okay, they're separate but they may still just be alternate or economy picked as opposed to sweeping. I'm not understanding the tying part, you'll have to try and clear that up for me.
I would Maybe I'll download guitar pro demo and tab it out?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Sure, if you need help let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks mate, Right now I'm trying to figure out how to use power tab so I can show you with the that instead of explaining lol.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Lol ok and I've finally said screw it and wrote it down on music sheet so you under stand it I hope you can read music

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Okay, but are those just individual notes or the chords you mentioned? They aren't sweeps by the way.
Chords Ok so they're basicually strumming them apposed to sweeping?

and if so how would I make them sweeping?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Yes, chords can be strummed or arpeggiated, but often times they won't be swept as part of a main progression in an acoustic song. Sweeping would mean you're playing with only one stroke per string with the pick going one direction, such as an arpeggio like this:

e----------------------------12h17p12---------------------------
B------------------------13--------------13-------------------------
G--------------------14----------------------14---------------------
D----------------14------------------------------14-----------------
A-------12h15--------------------------------------15p12----------

Where you downpick everything ascending (to first high E) and up-pick everything descending (second high E and everything after.)
Yes, chords can be strummed or arpeggiated, but often times they won't be swept as part of a main progression in an acoustic song. Sweeping would mean you're playing with only one stroke per string with the pick going one direction, such as an arpeggio like this:

e----------------------------12h17p12---------------------------
B------------------------13--------------13-------------------------
G--------------------14----------------------14---------------------
D----------------14------------------------------14-----------------
A-------12h15--------------------------------------15p12----------

Where you downpick everything ascending (to first high E) and downpick everything descending (second high E and everything after.)
Thank you for the explaination and to get back to my original question did I create a new song?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
First, I meant to say "up-pick everything descending", it's fixed in an edit.

And you may create your own new song, especially if it has your own lyrics, but countless songs have used an A-D-G progression.
First, I meant to say "up-pick everything descending", it's fixed in an edit.

And you may create your own new song, especially if it has your own lyrics, but countless songs have used an A-D-G progression.
too true and the easiest to remember that's for sure.

And thanks a lot mate for a big HELP.

I also know what you ment when you said down picking instead of up picking.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Sure, no problem.

And your chords would belong to D Major (the A major, G major and D major), so the progression goes V-I-IV-I as according to your chart, which you'll find to be common, as is any progression involving strictly I, IV and V in a major key. That's why you'll find many songs with that type of progression.
Sure, no problem.

And your chords would belong to D Major (the A major, G major and D major), so the progression goes V-I-IV-I as according to your chart, which you'll find to be common, as is any progression involving strictly I, IV and V in a major key. That's why you'll find many songs with that type of progression.
Probably why I'm used to that progression.

Note and chord wise how can I make it sound cool with a mixolydain solo and a b7 bend?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Keep in mind that modes are not harmonically stable so you don't want to go too nuts with the progression, one or two chords will work if you use them properly.

You'll be using A Mixolydian if you're in D major, so take advantage of the b7 (G) in your chording for the solo backing; a chord such as A/G or a regular A7 will work for you, you could even do a regular A major chord and hit the G at the same time to emphasize a dominant tonality. Does that help at all?
Keep in mind that modes are not harmonically stable so you don't want to go too nuts with the progression, one or two chords will work if you use them properly.

You'll be using A Mixolydian if you're in D major, so take advantage of the b7 (G) in your chording for the solo backing; a chord such as A/G or a regular A7 will work for you, you could even do a regular A major chord and hit the G at the same time to emphasize a dominant tonality. Does that help at all?
Some what, Can you show me via chords what you mean exactly?

I can't read tabs lol "by the do you find that funny I can read music but not tabs?"

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Yep, it's pretty interesting seeing as tabs are where most people start.

Look at the notes of A Mixolydian: A B C# D E F# G

The G is the b7, the "target note" of Mixolydian because it's the only dominant mode of the major scale. The chords I mentioned are built as such (from bottom to top):

A/G: G A C# E
A7: A C# E G

Or just use a regular A (A C# E) and play a G natural on the same beat, work in A Mixolydian and return to the G when you hit that A chord to give it a Mixolydian feel and tonality.
Yep, it's pretty interesting seeing as tabs are where most people start.

Look at the notes of A Mixolydian: A B C# D E F# G

The G is the b7, the "target note" of Mixolydian because it's the only dominant mode of the major scale. The chords I mentioned are built as such (from bottom to top):

A/G: G A C# E
A7: A C# E G

Or just use a regular A (A C# E) and play a G natural on the same beat, work in A Mixolydian and return to the G when you hit that A chord to give it a Mixolydian feel and tonality.
Very coo I'm going to try that.

now how do I get it to sound rock then some kind of hippy song? I kind of want a good sounding song say like steal hearted cowboys song by the guy with 3 names ( I can't remember his group )

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
The Mixolydian will naturally give you a blues-rock feel, as for hippie-sounding I'm not as sure because I've never really been into that type of music or its construction. You could take two approaches that I can think of (probably more, I haven't slept so I might be out of it):

1. Use funk chords (9ths and 13ths help) to give it a bouncier upbeat feel.

2. Move into an entirely different section based around a whole tone scale to give it a dreamy, mystic sort of sound. This might require some work to get the transition down though.
The Mixolydian will naturally give you a blues-rock feel, as for hippie-sounding I'm not as sure because I've never really been into that type of music or its construction. You could take two approaches that I can think of (probably more, I haven't slept so I might be out of it):

1. Use funk chords (9ths and 13ths help) to give it a bouncier upbeat feel.

2. Move into an entirely different section based around a whole tone scale to give it a dreamy, mystic sort of sound. This might require some work to get the transition down though.
He he I'm not that well trverst in music theory yet, And I mean I don't want my song to sound hippyish I hate that crap.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
You wouldn't use A Mixolydian over D major . If you attempt to play "A Mixolydian" over a chord or progression that resolves to D then you're just playing D major.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What about an E Mixolydian or would that sound really really horrible?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.