Page 1 of 2
Okay, think of this:

What if you were to continuously travel west so that your current time never changes? What would happen when you crossed the international date line? What if you traveled west the exact speed that the earth was traveling so that it would be like being on a giant tread-mill, and the earth moved under you?

have any of you ever thought of this?
X Sign Here
It would be kinda boring. And you wouldn't get much sleep.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
so you wouldn't be moving at all, and time would stand still as far as you knew.

I cracked that like an egg.
You'd be either very sunburnt or very depressed. When you cross the date-line, you'd just jump a day. Maybe if you did that, Earth would start revolving around you . . .
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
I'll crack your egg.

You would get monstrous calves and thighs for running that fast and long.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
there is a superman comic where he does that to go bak in time..........................

so i spose it's probably possible
just watch someone tries it and the universe blows up because they ****ed with time and space
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Well i believe the Earth rotates at approx 600 mph, which is about the same as an airplane. But taking wind resistance into account, you would just get tired on the plane even though the sun messes with your eternal clock and makes you want to stay awake.

I have thought about this and the end result is you being tired about the same time.
You realize the international date line is not a physical thing, it just something we made up so that the times aren't weird in different places, right? So nothing happens when you cross it.
Quote by Masonpwiley
You realize the international date line is not a physical thing, it just something we made up so that the times aren't weird in different places, right? So nothing happens when you cross it.

exactly, people would go on in their normal lives and be like "Look at that idiot, thinking its still February..."
If you do that, you'll keep staying at the same time but when you cross the place you started at, it will be a different date.

btw, you have way too much free time
the international date line is a manmade construct. you'd have to be moving ~600mph accounting for wind resistance. and don't forget about mah man Einstein.

in summary, you'd just be really tired and pissed off, yet at the same time really glad you don't have to reset your watch.
impossible. Just like any other road trip, you'd have to stop for a bathroom break every now and then.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Okay guys, I am not high, I know that the international dateline isn't a physical thing, AND I know that I have an abnormal amount of free time. But it wasn't free time that is the problem, because you don't need free time to think about things.

I just was curious as to what everyone thought of this.
X Sign Here
Actually, I'm pretty sure some satellites do exactly what you described, only they don't walk, and they're pretty much in Space.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by kossner
Okay guys, I am not high, I know that the international dateline isn't a physical thing, AND I know that I have an abnormal amount of free time. But it wasn't free time that is the problem, because you don't need free time to think about things.

I just was curious as to what everyone thought of this.

u confuse me sir. or madame.
I <3 Rock Mushik
Quote by deviousducky
u confuse me sir. or madame.

It's sir...

And, I just said travel. I'm sorry if I implied that you were walking, but any mode of transportation will work.
X Sign Here
Oh, they're just words that mean different things. What matters is that you'd suffer from some mad SAD if you happened to travel everywhere at night.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
There are indeed satelites that do this, that is how we get our broadcasts on sky and such.
They send the satelite up at a certain angle and at a certain speed so it will travel in a way that keeps it a constant point above the earth, there are loads of them infact.
As for going back in time, as has been stated previously time is not physical or atleast the measure of time isn't physical.
We measure time by things occuring and reocurring at certain times, each time the sun revolves around the earth etc...
Also the planet would not revolve around you, you would just feel as though you where walking around the planet, or driving whatever, you wouldn't travel back in time as far as i can see because your not actually effecting anything, your just moving in conjunction with something else.
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why would you NOT scour the news for stories about incestual anal piping?
There is a direct relationship between longitude and time: Every 15 degrees of longitude is another hours time difference. So, at sea, where the lines for time zones are straight, you could simply divide your longitude by 15 to come up with your time zone. Traveling say, in a jet westward seems to make time slow waaay down. Eastward seems to speed it up. Its all relative though as it's been said already. Anyway, if you've ever crossed the Pacific, or Atlantic and landed in a foreign country your body is like, WTF? Jet lag, it owns you for a few days.
the sun would just be in the same place in relation to you. big whoop.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Time isn't bound to the rotation of the earth, it's just what we as humans base the passing of time on.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
I saw someone do this on telly, in a plane, they did it so the sun is always setting, but it didn't turn to night.
Quote by jimRH7
I saw someone do this on telly, in a plane, they did it so the sun is always setting, but it didn't turn to night.

That's gotta be hard on the eyes. You know how you're always squinting near sunset, especially when driving and such? Ouch.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
You all realise time as we know it is *technically* a way of measuring things against the speed of the sun in relativity to us and vice versa, right?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by kossner
Okay, think of this:

What if you were to continuously travel west so that your current time never changes? What would happen when you crossed the international date line? What if you traveled west the exact speed that the earth was traveling so that it would be like being on a giant tread-mill, and the earth moved under you?

have any of you ever thought of this?

no....why should I?
Quote by bludwolfrocks
its ok, im high too...

+1
Quote by Mike Huber
He worked at a circus and was on the run for some act of terrorism? That's one crazy mother f*ckin clown.

Quote by Tye1989
There are indeed satelites that do this, that is how we get our broadcasts on sky and such.
They send the satelite up at a certain angle and at a certain speed so it will travel in a way that keeps it a constant point above the earth, there are loads of them infact.
As for going back in time, as has been stated previously time is not physical or atleast the measure of time isn't physical.
We measure time by things occuring and reocurring at certain times, each time the sun revolves around the earth etc...
Also the planet would not revolve around you, you would just feel as though you where walking around the planet, or driving whatever, you wouldn't travel back in time as far as i can see because your not actually effecting anything, your just moving in conjunction with something else.

A geostationary satellite is what you're thinking of and is the equivelent of somebody standing still at the equator which isn't what this guy is getting at, however, a satellite positioned at lagrangian point would not have to orbit the Earth to stay above the ground, it would effectively 'hover'.
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
Quote by iamk0ng
exactly, people would go on in their normal lives and be like "Look at that idiot, thinking its still February..."

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Page 1 of 2