Hello all,

I've been delving into theory lately as my knowledge is very limited but my tecnique as a player is of a good standard.

Basically I want to get to the stage where I can take a scale, and move around that scale seamlessly using the entire fret board. At the moment I'm restricted by box shapes as that's how I've learnt the scales. As my soloing style is mostly legato based, I want to be able to play over the entire neck in this style.

What is the best way to learn a scale over the whole neck and forget the idea of the restrictive box shapes? Someone mentioned breaking the scale down into octaves. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by Zephyr77
Learn Modes.

No, don't do this.
Learn the major scale inside and out, all over the fretboard. Learn the basics of chord and scale construction, and diatonic harmony before you worry about modes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 16, 2008,
Do you know your box positions all across the neck?

If you do, start playing something out of the standard minor pentatonic box, but at some point, make yourself shift position, either up or down. Keep doing this and shift between every box. Some of the transitions will sound good and some will sound bad, so remember the good ones and use them when you want to change position. I'll post a lick that changes position below. It will be in A minor.

Does anyone know which thing I select on ImageShack to display the image on here?
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Mar 16, 2008,
Try playing any scale with E as its tonic from the open low E, to the 24th fret on the high E. Try to move in a nice diagonal line across the fretboard.

EDIT: As pointed out by KryptNet, not everyone has 24 frets. If this is the case then simply bend your 22nd fret up a whole step and then head back down.
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by isaac_bandits
Try playing any scale with E as its tonic from the open low E, to the 24th fret on the high E. Try to move in a nice diagonal line across the fretboard.
oooo....you have a have 24frets. Lucky. But isaac_bandit's and everyone else's advice is sound. If you know box shapes up and down the fret, all you have left to do is to figure out how to connect them. Cause you're interested in legato, the best way for now is to figure out how you can get from the lowest note to the highest with the simplest fingerings as possible.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination