When you're reading sheet music, say you have an A, how do you know which particular A to play on the guitar?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
The position on the stave will indicate the right octave to play, then you just hit the one that's most comfortable for you to play
When you first look at a chart, look for the key signature and the highest and lowest note...

If the song has a high C and a Low A, it's gonna be a pain to play in open position so 5th position (5th fret) will probably be the best option
So I can just play any of the note that's in the octave? Christ this sounds hard.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by zapparage
So I can just play any of the note that's in the octave? Christ this sounds hard.

There's only one A per octave, there's just more than one position to play this on the guitar. For example you could play it on 5th fret on the E string, or an open A or the octave above that could be 12th on A, 2 on G, 17 on E etc
Ok I see now. Cheers.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
numbers in circles represent strings 6 being the thickest string , roman numerals represent the fretboard board postion of the index finger .
other numbers tell you which finger to use , some lessons from a tutor on sight reading wouldn't go a miss !
Damien Redmond - "Grade 8 electric guitar" -"Grade 5 theory "
"Licentiate Diploma of the London college of music "