Sometimes I go online and recite the scales again as I often forget even the major and minor one's. But then once I've remembered them again I might go up and down them a few times before I get bored. I find them useful for producing little licks etc but thats about it? How else am I suppose to be using them?
Scales are used for everything. Scales are the reason that there is a key signature in music. Without scales and a key signature, you would have no idea what would sound good over a certain chord progression (and also chords are based off of scales). Solos are usually just sections of scales. Scales make everything easier.
Welp, if your rhythm guitarist is playing a progression, say Am F G, how are you going to solo over that? Sure, you could try random notes until you find something good, but wouldn't you rather have some guidance? A scale tells you which notes are appropriate for a given chord or progression. So instead of screwing around, if you knew scales, you would know that my progression falls nicely into the A Natural Minor scale and you would know where to play the appropriate notes.

Now, you can play notes outside of the scale. In fact, over that progression, an Eb note, taken from the A Blues scale, would be played by many guitarists. The A Natural Minor scale contains A B C D E F G, but the Eb, a chromatic tone, sounds bluesy and is a good passing tone.
Usually the answer to learning scales is soloing and improv. But like bangoodcharlote said above, scales are much much more. So here's a few general things to think about:

1)Practicing scales on your guitar is one of the best ways to understand your fretboard.
2)Chord harmony is derived from scales.
3)Chords progressions are built from scales.
4)Scales teach you the "natural" relationship between different notes(sounds).
5)It's the foundation of over 500yrs of western music(so you're kinda learning history too)
6)It is one of the best tools to train your ear.
7)In the end, it allows you to be even more creative/original/crazy with your writing because you'll know the "why" of music in a sense. But scales will lead you right into the more complicated aspects of theory, which in turn will give you more creative options in your playing.

^^All that would of confused me before I approached scales as more then patterns on the fretboard so just ask if you need clarification.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
However once the idea of tone (distances between notes played), rhythm, and key(pitch of the notes being applied) are understood, the best method truly is to build your own scales over progressions or beats, otherwise even after combining the three previously mentioned ideas, you may just find musical ideas entirely in a scale sound cliche, that you are repeating sounds explored a hundred times over.
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.