Page 1 of 2
(This is my first ever thread)

I've been playing guitar for nearly 3 years, self taught. My current gear is:

Ibanez RG370DXL (Yes I'm left-handed)
Boss ME-50
Digitech Whammy
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal
Marshall MG15CD practise amp

I've practised at school alot of times in the music dept. and use various amps when I'm there. Usually a Peavey, Laney, Fender G-Dec, or Roland Micro-Cube. I use my Death Metal pedal all the time as I can only get the decent extreme sound I want out of it and have come to the conclusion that only Marshalls can handle it. It works beautifully on my MG15CD at home but as soon as it gets on that Laney or G-Dec (I know digital amps suck for pedals) it just gets screwed up.

So I've decided that I want to move up the line and get my first stack. I should mention I'm not the richest kid in the world (yes I'm 13). And for a while I've been looking at various stacks and I'm wondering, is this the right stack for me?

I'm pretty set on this: Marshall MG100HDFX head - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg100-hdfx/326

MG412A Angled - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg-412a/9620

MG412B Straight - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg-412b/10512

My plan is, save up for the head, then the angled, then the straight, one piece at a time, each piece being £169 each. I've never looked into this kind of thing before so I'm posting this thread to get people's opinions on whether this is the right beginner stack for me or not.

Andrew

EDIT: Alot of people are posting replies saying "why do you want an mg?" whereas I decided a while ago now that it was fairly obvious that the MG was a bad choice. Could people now reply saying what valve/tube combo amp would be good for me.
Last edited by A-G-guitarist at Mar 17, 2008,
Do not, I repeat, do NOT get the MG.

You might as well ***** yourself in west hollywood, therefore you will at least have had a rich experience and learned something from your time and efforts.

On a serious note, what are you looking to spend at a maximum? Youll need to shoot higher than an MG
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
MG? Phail.
Unreliable, overpriced, mediocre solid state amps with the Marshall name on them to jack the price up. You don't need a stack. get a 50w tube combo then buy a cab. more than loud enough for just about anything.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
MG = major waste of money

if you're getting a stack, get a tube amp. it doesn't have to be the most expensive one, but the MG is just a bad idea. they don't sound good to most musicians, and they are plagued with maintenance, reliability and wiring issues.

i recommend any JCM2000 if you're going with marshall. If not, just look around in y our price range, and try to make sure it's all-tube, not just tube preamp.
Quote by oneblackened
MG? Phail.
Unreliable, overpriced, mediocre solid state amps with the Marshall name on them to jack the price up. You don't need a stack. get a 50w tube combo then buy a cab. more than loud enough for just about anything.

technically once you put a cab under the combo it becomes a stack

and just for the love of god don't buy that MG
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Well I really am trying to look at the cheapest Marshall I can get. What's wrong with it?

Other than the fact that MG's cheaply made, sounds like ****, and screams "Whoever is playing this amp is more flamboyant than George Michael"...theres not much wrong with it...

Just get a used JCM. Save your money. What kind of music are you playing?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
An MG is a half ass practice amp but makes a really crappy anything else. Your not going to get a decent stack amp for that kind of money. Its gonna cost way more than your budget. And I doubt very much at 13 youre going to be needing a stack amp anytime soon. Give it a few minutes for everybody else to wade in.
Quote by A-G-guitarist
(This is my first ever thread)

I've been playing guitar for nearly 3 years, self taught. My current gear is:

Ibanez RG370DXL (Yes I'm left-handed)
Boss ME-50
Digitech Whammy
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal
Marshall MG15CD practise amp

I've practised at school alot of times in the music dept. and use various amps when I'm there. Usually a Peavey, Laney, Fender G-Dec, or Roland Micro-Cube. I use my Death Metal pedal all the time as I can only get the decent extreme sound I want out of it and have come to the conclusion that only Marshalls can handle it. It works beautifully on my MG15CD at home but as soon as it gets on that Laney or G-Dec (I know digital amps suck for pedals) it just gets screwed up.

So I've decided that I want to move up the line and get my first stack. I should mention I'm not the richest kid in the world (yes I'm 13). And for a while I've been looking at various stacks and I'm wondering, is this the right stack for me?

I'm pretty set on this: Marshall MG100HDFX head - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg100-hdfx/326

MG412A Angled - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg-412a/9620

MG412B Straight - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-mg-412b/10512

My plan is, save up for the head, then the angled, then the straight, one piece at a time, each piece being £169 each. I've never looked into this kind of thing before so I'm posting this thread to get people's opinions on whether this is the right beginner stack for me or not.

Andrew

at all of this

right when I looked at the title of the thread I just started thinking, "Oh, boy here comes anther kid wanting an MG."
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Last edited by EVH92 at Mar 16, 2008,
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Well I really am trying to look at the cheapest Marshall I can get. What's wrong with it?

that is definatley not the way to go about it--just because it says marshall doesmnt mean its good--serriously the MG will not last you more than a few years-either itll break or youll get sick of it
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
You shouldn't get an MG, they are just overpriced and bad..

Uhm sry dudes but what's about behringer amps? are they worth buying? everyone had one?
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
I just read your 13. That dude was right. You dont need a stack. At all. Unless youre playing in a band that gigs every weekend, you dont need a stack.
Quote by tarlkea
I play fairly mainstream metal. Machine Head, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, that kind of stuff. I have a whole list of the people I listen to on my myspace: www.myspace.com/andrew_gooding if that helps. I just really want something that can handle the pedal. And something I can afford to be honest.
Quote by Teh Forest King
I just read your 13. That dude was right. You dont need a stack. At all. Unless youre playing in a band that gigs every weekend, you dont need a stack.

Indeed. This is why I'd recommend getting a decent combo that can be slapped on a cab at a later date.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Teh Forest King

We're gonna be at that stage pretty soon. I know the 13 throws people off and makes me seem like a little kid but I'm really serious and most people who ask me in person are slightly shocked when I tell them I'm 13. And to be honest my birthday's in a week.
I'm 17 and have the MG stack. It works fine for me so far, no problems as of yet (even though i've only had it two months) If you wonna get it get it, but at 13, theres no point unless your actually gigging and need the power. But then just get a cheap combo and cab and wala, stack.

BTW, I would have got the Vintage modern or JVM410 if I had that kind of money to blow.
Get a peavey XXX combo or something.
Quote by tarlkea
Forget the pedal, that's a horrible pedal anyways.

Buy this:

Randall RG50TC
/Thread

This will get as brutal as you want it WITHOUT a pedal, so you get all tube distortion.
Plus, it's louder, 10x better sounding, and cheaper than the marshall MG stack you plan on getting.

Also, do you know that the stack is just a BIG version of the practice amp?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by A-G-guitarist
I play fairly mainstream metal. Machine Head, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park, that kind of stuff. I have a whole list of the people I listen to on my myspace: www.myspace.com/andrew_gooding if that helps. I just really want something that can handle the pedal. And something I can afford to be honest.

The amp is crap.
The pedal is likewise crap.

What you NEED is a half decent amp that delivers the tones you want on it's own, you certainly don't want a stack because you're on a budget and the only ones available to you are terrible. You're pretty much smack bang in the middle of Bugera's target market to be honest

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Bugera-333-212~ID~6050.asp

will probably set you back £4-£500
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 16, 2008,
^Dangit, forgot about bugera AGAIN.
Yeah, i'd get a bugera or that randall combo if I were you.
And you don't need a stack, a nice tube combo will do it for you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ +1

but I doubt he can afford it
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
In the UK you tend to pay over the odds for Peaveys and Randalls - the Bugera is perfect for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my sig will explain what not to do

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Signature. The crap under that line in every post a person makes. They usually put quotes and their gear list in them.
Quote by tarlkea
you're 13 and you think your death metal pedal with your MG15 sounds better than a Laney...

I'm sure you'd be pretty happy with an MG100 so just get that. Just expect to change it in a year.
get a peavey valveking, but seriously you wont need anything over 30 watts if you get a tube amp.
If you buy a MG your only buying the plastic Marshall logo on the front.

If you wana try to go for a halfstack, try a B-52 over at guitar center. or something tube and cheap at a local shop. (even a nice combo)

But for the love of everything holy. please don't buy a MG
Quote by one vision
Don't get an MG, especially a stack. You don't need crushing overdrive. Get a nice vox or fender combo.

Not meaning to be a douche but you really shouldn't tell other people what kind of sound they want/don't want. Its sort of a dick move.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Not meaning to be a douche but you really shouldn't tell other people what kind of sound they want/don't want. Its sort of a dick move.

Good point, but telling someone that they should get an MG if they want it is akin to advising someone to get Alzheimer's.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Good point, but telling someone that they should get an MG if they want it is akin to advising someone to get Alzheimer's.

Agreed but he recommended a Vox or Fender and told the guy that he didn't need overdrive. Seeing as how he wants to play Nu-Metal he sort of needs overdrive.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Ok I've just come back and seen the replies, and I've decided to instead, look for a better Marshall stack and save up for that. Sure, it'll take like, 10x longer, but it'll be worth it. AND it also agrees with the replies saying I don't need a stack right now. It'll probably take until I'm like, 16 or something. So what does everyone think I should save up for in terms of Marshalls then?
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Ok I've just come back and seen the replies, and I've decided to instead, look for a better Marshall stack and save up for that. Sure, it'll take like, 10x longer, but it'll be worth it. AND it also agrees with the replies saying I don't need a stack right now. It'll probably take until I'm like, 16 or something. So what does everyone think I should save up for in terms of Marshalls then?

I don't really understand why you want a Marshall so bad. It sounds like you just want it for its name...
Page 1 of 2