Page 1 of 2
That's disgusting. A brilliant example of what the educational system really teaches students - not maths or literature, but that they need to obey the system.
I'm a communist. Really.
I'm guessing the bus driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt because he just fell out of his seat..?
This reminds me of Butters in South Park.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
And I thought my school was ****ed up. That school has no feelings, blindly enforcing rules!
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by sam b
It wont load
What is it..

A 15-year-old girl who stopped her out-of-control school bus was hit with a Saturday detention because she was supposed to be in class when the accident happened.

Marina High School student Amanda Rouse was on a bus with 40 elementary school students Wednesday morning when the driver fell out of her seat after a turn and hit her head.

Rouse jumped up and applied the brakes, bringing the bus to a halt after striking two parked cars. No one was injured.

But Rouse said she was punished because she wasn't supposed to be on the bus in the first place.

Rouse said she fell ill on the way to school, but instead of calling in sick, she asked the bus driver for a lift back to the bus yard before the accident happened. She must attend Saturday school as punishment for failing to call in sick that day.

"She is in trouble with school because she made the wrong decision," said Rouse's grandmother, Sally Correll. "But I can't help but believe that she was where God wanted her to be."

A spokesperson for the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District could not immediately be reached Saturday.

Reason why society fails...
Quote by Thornography
I'm guessing the bus driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt because he just fell out of his seat..?

+1

The driver should get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt then.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
LOL WTF, I now I will make sure when this happens to me to jump out of the bus and let all the students die then say that I was just obeying the rules.
I can imagine my female teachers, "We must follow the rules"

They say they help us having a better life by teaching us to obey rules
Quote by the god squad
"But I can't help but believe that she was where God wanted her to be."

Immediately turned off after that. Good job its at the end of the article . . .
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by x/taluha
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/03/14/state/n051307D84.DTL

if my school ever did that i would tell them to **** off.

as if they gave her detention ...
Don't be so quick to judge.

But Rouse said she was punished because she wasn't supposed to be on the bus in the first place.
Remember, Amanda Rouse is the name of the girl who stopped the bus.
This is HER interpretation of why she has detention.

Rouse said she fell ill on the way to school, but instead of calling in sick, she asked the bus driver for a lift back to the bus yard before the accident happened. She must attend Saturday school as punishment for failing to call in sick that day.
It's entirely possible that she would not have had to serve detention if she had called in sick, when she eventually got home.

She didn't get detention for being on the bus.

She got detention for not calling the office to notify them.

... but that doesn't make such a juicy story, does it?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Whatever man, the point is that she got in trouble for not going to school and not informing them. Because she skipped school, she was in a position to help out in a potentially disastrous situation. The schools administration is retarded.
Rules are rules. What she did was commendable, but she still broke the rules. This is a bad example, but it's like going 20 over to rush your mom to the hospital. Just because what you're doing is right doesn't mean you're exempt from the law.

That being said, that was pretty cool of her to do what she did
2 1 1 0
8 1 0 5
0 0 9 6 2 2 5 1
I probably would've driven the bus to the beach instead of stopping it, but each to his own I guess.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

It's entirely possible that she would not have had to serve detention if she had called in sick, when she eventually got home.

man if i were principal of a school, and one of my students forgot to call in sick, but saved a bus full of kids, i'd give her a week off of school, not detention!
how incredibly stupid...
Weither or not she broke a rule, what she did was, IMO, commendable enough to garner an excuse from the consequences of said broken rule
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
good, that's what she deserves for breaking the rules

now how am i gonna get rid of those kids?
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by shoolocomous
Immediately turned off after that. Good job its at the end of the article . . .

exactly what i thought
Quote by Sora 01
BUTTERS what have i told you about saving other peoples lives >=(

dad: you're grounded, mister!
butters: aw sheesh... i need to learn to behave myself!
serves her right ! she should've been in the kitchen damnit !

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by slidething31
Whatever man, the point is that she got in trouble for not going to school and not informing them. Because she skipped school, she was in a position to help out in a potentially disastrous situation. The schools administration is retarded.
No, you're just too thick to see what likely happened, and snapped to judgment.

The person who scheduled her for detention was probably some secretary in the school office. He or she probably had no knowledge of the girl even being on the bus, when assigning her detention. Amanda Rouse might have even been able to clear things up with the school, if she had simply talked to the Principal, instead of opening her yap to the press.

For all we know, the principal still might have let her out of detention:
A spokesperson for the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District could not immediately be reached Saturday.

Do you see anywhere in there that it says that the girl actually went to detention? NO.

Why? Because if she didn't have to go to detention, the newspaper wouldn't have a story, and people wouldn't be outraged.

If she didn't have to go to detention, expect the press to mention that in a week or two. But don't look for it on the front page. Look for it in fine print, at the bottom of page 13.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

meh exoneration for a humanitarian act is well... human ^_^.
Forgiveness is to conform, thus the outrage.

UG Private Poker Room

UG Poker Group
Join it

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝
She wasn't meant to be there. Its gunna be like final destination now.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by VaporTrails67
Rules are rules. What she did was commendable, but she still broke the rules. This is a bad example, but it's like going 20 over to rush your mom to the hospital. Just because what you're doing is right doesn't mean you're exempt from the law.

Yes it does
Meh, since the bus had already hit 2 parked cars, and just after cornering, it wouldn't have been going too fast anyway.
It would have stopped of its own accord soon enough.
Tbh, she probably would have called in sick eventually. The article says she fell ill on the way to school and was on her way home when the accident happened. So surely she would've called when she got in?
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
What the hell? Since when do you have to call in sick to school? Aren't you supposed to just miss school and then sort things out when you get back?

And they should have given her time to call in sick. She didn't even get home first. It says she felt sick ON THE WAY to school.
Quote by Masonpwiley
What the hell? Since when do you have to call in sick to school? Aren't you supposed to just miss school and then sort things out when you get back?

And they should have given her time to call in sick. She didn't even get home first. It says she felt sick ON THE WAY to school.

1. Call the main office

2. Say your name, your homeroom, why you're sick, and how long you'll be out.

3. Hang up.

4. ????

5. PROFIT!
Quote by Kensai
I probably would've driven the bus to the beach instead of stopping it, but each to his own I guess.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No, you're just too thick to see what likely happened, and snapped to judgment.

The person who scheduled her for detention was probably some secretary in the school office. He or she probably had no knowledge of the girl even being on the bus, when assigning her detention. Amanda Rouse might have even been able to clear things up with the school, if she had simply talked to the Principal, instead of opening her yap to the press.

For all we know, the principal still might have let her out of detention:

Do you see anywhere in there that it says that the girl actually went to detention? NO.

Why? Because if she didn't have to go to detention, the newspaper wouldn't have a story, and people wouldn't be outraged.

If she didn't have to go to detention, expect the press to mention that in a week or two. But don't look for it on the front page. Look for it in fine print, at the bottom of page 13.

But, I could of sworn that the point of news was to encourage "fighting the man"?
Quote by Armitando
1. Call the main office

2. Say your name, your homeroom, why you're sick, and how long you'll be out.

3. Hang up.

4. ????

5. PROFIT!

We don't do that, and we he don't have a homeroom, we just go to 1st period.
Quote by Sora 01
BUTTERS what have i told you about saving other peoples lives >=(

oooooh i'm sorry mom and dad
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Seriously, how retarded do you have to be to fall out of your seat and hit your head?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by REPOMAN
Yes it does

I'm not following you on this. Can you elaborate a little bit? Just to fill you in, I disagree with what they did too, and I also agree with SYK that this is being blown out of proportion.

EDIT: Also, thinking about it, she would have gotten the same punishment even if she hadn't stopped the bus. I'm sure that a lot of people wouldn't have cared if that was what had happened.
2 1 1 0
8 1 0 5
0 0 9 6 2 2 5 1
Last edited by VaporTrails67 at Mar 16, 2008,
its so ****ed up with schools nowdays. at my high school they suspended me for 3 ****ing days for having my phone out ( i was checking the time). thats so ****ed up because that totally goes against getting an education. i mean thats what school is for right? and if their gonna hold someone out and make them miss school or give a saturday detention to someone who fails to call in sick to school but makes an attempt anyway then taht just shows how ****ed up everything is
actually, that threadtitle is wrong.
she doesn't get detention for saving those kids, she gets detention because she wasn't in school

looks like my work here is done

*hangs coat over shoulder and walks away in the sunset*

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Page 1 of 2