How long does the ringing have to persist until it means you've got it?

I went to a show on Friday and my ears are still ringing now, Sunday afternoon. I was going to buy earplugs as well, but I never got the chance. That's possibly the real kick in the teeth here.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
if your ears are still ringing after this amount of time i'd say your hearing is permanently damaged.. obviously not by much i just mean your higher register for hearing will drop by a few Hz..

last time i tested mines (physics) i could hear sounds up to 17000Hz and the normal human range is 20 to 20000Hz..
"Help me God. I'm so tired. I need my sleep. I need 8 hours a day ...and about 10 at night and i'm good..."
Quote by Low Light
if your ears are still ringing after this amount of time i'd say your hearing is permanently damaged.. obviously not by much i just mean your higher register for hearing will drop by a few Hz..

last time i tested mines (physics) i could hear sounds up to 17000Hz and the normal human range is 20 to 20000Hz..

My range was already higher than the average person so I don't care about losing a few Hz, I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have a permanent ringing.

Sorry to hear about it, that_1_dude, how did you get it?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I doubt there will be any long term damage, unless you were standing right by the speakers.

My ears were ringing for a day or so after going to see Iron Maiden, and now I don't have any problems at all (hearing range is still fine).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I doubt there will be any long term damage, unless you were standing right by the speakers.

My ears were ringing for a day or so after going to see Iron Maiden, and now I don't have any problems at all (hearing range is still fine).

Except I was right by the speakers. It was a tiny venue, and I was pretty much leaning on a speaker, right at the front. I could have grabbed the bassist from where I was.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Well mine from last Saturday took until Thursday to go and its started again now.
Damn them playing Flogging Molly all night, couldn't resist.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Install a killswitch.

Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by Oli_88
Well mine from last Saturday took until Thursday to go and its started again now.
Damn them playing Flogging Molly all night, couldn't resist.

Did you do anything to trigger it starting again? Like, going to another gig?

Because if not, then clearly my problem will go away with time?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Tuesday evening: Ringing is still here. Am I screwed?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
That post was about as helpful as someone cutting off all my fingers, coating them in chocolate, putting them in Thornton's packaging, and selling them to foreign businessman as a delicacy.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
My range was already higher than the average person so I don't care about losing a few Hz, I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have a permanent ringing.

Sorry to hear about it, that_1_dude, how did you get it?

I honestly don't know.
I wasn't exposed to loud sounds as a child, so I think it was from falling off of a cupboard onto the hard tile.
Quote by that_1_dude24
I honestly don't know.
I wasn't exposed to loud sounds as a child, so I think it was from falling off of a cupboard onto the hard tile.

That really sucks... Is there no treatement or anything? And does it fade with time?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I went through a phase where my ears were ringing for absolutely no reason... then after a week it went as suddenly as it came. Maybe you're not screwed just yet...
Quote by break-me-in
That really sucks... Is there no treatement or anything? And does it fade with time?

I haven't really looked into treatment. It doesn't bother me too much.
Also, it hasn't faded for me, although I probably made it worse somehow.
Quote by break-me-in
Tuesday evening: Ringing is still here. Am I screwed?

Nah, I stood right by the speakers at one gig and my ears were ringing for 4 or 5 days before it cleared up. Shit me right up though when I woke up in the morning and I couldn't even hear people talking 2 feet away.

At work one time they told us all about it. It'll clear up eventually, but your hearing gets progressively worse every time you damage it like that.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Thanks, that's brilliant news^^ Definitely wearing earplugs next time.

Quote by that_1_dude24
I haven't really looked into treatment. It doesn't bother me too much.
Also, it hasn't faded for me, although I probably made it worse somehow.

Going to gigs, maybe?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
That post was about as helpful as someone cutting off all my fingers, coating them in chocolate, putting them in Thornton's packaging, and selling them to foreign businessman as a delicacy.

I failed at my only attempt to be subtle by using pictures instead of words. Let's express this more eloquently:

PAUL GILBERT has Tinitus in one of his ears and must now wear extreme isolation headphones whenever he gigs to avoid damaging his ears even further. Perhaps it would be a good idea if you (That's Right: YOU&trade would get yourself some ear protection for future gigs and other encounters with loud musical equipment
Quote by sashki
I failed at my only attempt to be subtle by using pictures instead of words. Let's express this more eloquently:

PAUL GILBERT has Tinitus in one of his ears and must now wear extreme isolation headphones whenever he gigs to avoid damaging his ears even further. Perhaps it would be a good idea if you (That's Right: YOU&trade would get yourself some ear protection for future gigs and other encounters with loud musical equipment

Haha, I got all that, but I already mentioned I was going to buy earphones and hadn't got round to it, and I wasn't asking if I could still play music, I've already played my guitar since, I asked if it was permanent yet.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

Going to gigs, maybe?

Probably.
If you wear earphones, like sashki said, you should be fine. It may still fade out.

Quote by break-me-in

Definitely worth it. It's the kind of thing that creeps up on you - you're fine now, then 20 years down the line you realise you can't hear a fuckin thing.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
It must persist chronically, which means longer than half-a-year (or 6 months).

So tell us if it's still here in about 5 and 3/4 months.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.