I'm going to be buying a new guitar in the next couple of days, and I've no idea what to go for.

I'm currently using a Jackson Dk2m and an Ibanez Sz520fm with Dimarzios, but theyre really not cutting it.

I was considering a Prs, or maybe a Gibson, or even a higher end Ibanez/jackson.

But as I say I'm realy not sure.

I've got around £1200 ish to spend, but I could really do with a few pedals also, OD Reerb and delay.

Open to suggestions.

I should probably mention what I want it for lol,
I play alot of Steve Vai/Satch/andy timmons, but also play alot of blues, which is important, and partly what I feel te Ibanez and jackson lack.

I play alot of metal also, just everyting really lo, but it needs to be fairly good at everyting.
How are they not cutting it? If it's feel, then it's complicated. If it's tone, then you need a new amp. What are you playing through now?
Quote by sdmf.1919
I'm going to be buying a new guitar in the next couple of days, and I've no idea what to go for.

I'm currently using a Jackson Dk2m and an Ibanez Sz520fm with Dimarzios, but theyre really not cutting it.

I was considering a Prs, or maybe a Gibson, or even a higher end Ibanez/jackson.

But as I say I'm realy not sure.

I've got around £1200 ish to spend, but I could really do with a few pedals also, OD Reerb and delay.

Open to suggestions.

I should probably mention what I want it for lol,
I play alot of Steve Vai/Satch/andy timmons, but also play alot of blues, which is important, and partly what I feel te Ibanez and jackson lack.

I play alot of metal also, just everyting really lo, but it needs to be fairly good at everyting.

Well it kind of relies on the pickups really. What about a used JEM?

But yeah, I dont get how a jackson dk2m wouldnt cut it...nor the S.

Shawn Lane used S series's and Jackson DK's. My DK2M can pull of blues fine...but im in Drop B so its harder now.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
1200 pound???

Look into a PRS 513 (maybe second hand) or CE-22/24 (depends on the amount of frets needed)...
I think they will suit your budget and needs

or maybe a Carvin...
Well I mean i'm just looking for a decent guitar, I mean this is really the only time I'm going to be able to spend this amount on a guitar again for a while, so I want to make it worth while.

The ibanez and jackson don't cut it in alot of ways, I like the feel of the SZ, but action is really dodgy, and it doesn't sound very good in general even with the dimarzios. and the jackson really just isn't made for that kinda stuff, I mean I can get a kinda steve vai/satch tone, bt not a very quality one.

I'm playing through a Peavey Classic 50, and a Valveking 212, an Mxr 10 band eq and a Boss me-50.

It's really just a new guitar I need tho
It sounds like you've got serious money for an axe there. Last time I checked 1200 Eng Pounds was about 2400.00 US or CDN these days. If guitars are priced in equivalent EP the world is your oyster. You could get an American Strat, genuine American PRS, Gibson, top of the line models of ESP or Ibanez, Schecter, Peavey, Yamaha etc. In order to help you pick you should try to consider what you want from a guitar (not music styles so much but construction)
What scale do you feel most comfortable playing? (24-3/4, 25 or 25-1/2)
What is your favorite fingerboard? (ebony, rosewood or maple)
What is your prefered neck profile? (round, wide/flat, narrow etc)
Do you prefer set-neck or bolt-on?
What kind of pickups do you want? (soapbar, humbucker, single coil or combination)
Do you want a fixed bridge or tremolo?
If you go tremolo do you want locking hardware or standard HW?
What body shape and finishes do you like best ?(strat or gibson - two most commonly copied forms)
What other appointments do you like (dot, block or figured inlays, bindings on neck//body, see-thru finishes or solid colours)
Use these questions to help narrow down your ideal guitar and go from there!
Last edited by KenG at Mar 16, 2008,