I'm getting a new bridge pickup, and I was wondering whether I should get an active or passive. I know the difference between the two, but none of my local guitar shops have any active pickups installed in their guitars.
I play things that are around as heavy as Dream Theater.

I was thinking of either getting an Emg 81 or a DiMarzio D-sonic, although if you guys can think of a better pickup for that price (~100-120$), please tell me.
Thanks in advance.
If you want to go active then all the pickups need to be active, otherwise there will be too much difference in output/volume. I'd personally go with passive, way more dynamic and warm sounding, the 81 is all about output and distortion and to me it sounds pretty horrible for leads.
Go with the D Sonic if you're downtuning at all. I use it, and I couldn't wish for a better pickup. It also means you can leave your existing passive neck pickup in.
go with passives. Actives are horribly overrated. And if you want lots of distortion just get high output passives.
Quote by Aziraphale
If you want to go active then all the pickups need to be active, otherwise there will be too much difference in output/volume. I'd personally go with passive, way more dynamic and warm sounding, the 81 is all about output and distortion and to me it sounds pretty horrible for leads.

+1

Only way it will work is running Afterburner on the non-active pup. But by the time your done doing all that you should have just ran two actives..

I just wired up a emg 81 and emg hz for a customer and there was a pretty big volume drop. It worked and sounded fine but some sort of booster would be needed when you switched it to non active. Maybe a seymour duncan pickup booster if you didnt have room for the afterburner would work as well but your right back to spending another 50-100 bucks...
also take a look at the tonezone.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
You know, there's other active pickups besides the EMGs.

*cough* my sig *cough*
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
If you're mixing actives with passives, the only bad thing is that it's very complicated to wire up and in my experience can crackle a bit when switching pups after lots of use. I found there to be NO difference in volume, but I've taken the passive out now (to stop the crackling) so can't get a clip.

I'd stick with all active or all passive purely for simplicity tbh
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
If you're gonna get actives, get Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They sound a lot better and are a lot more dynamic than EMGs are.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Last edited by ac/dc_freak91 at Mar 16, 2008,