So... I've been really trying to do Pinch harmonics on the low E string, but I can't seem to manage to do so. On the other hand, on the E, B and G it seems fairly easier, but still can't manage to do them accurately.

For your information, my guitar is tuned in dropC and I use gage 12 D'Addario strings and normal Dunlop .88 picks. Also, I tried turning up heaps of distortion, but that didn't work out neither.

I was thinking that maybe I'm not using the correct picks? 'Cause I really don't know what I seem to be doing wrong.

Any tips? Sorry if it's a long post but I tried to be helpful as possible.
Quote by Seryaph
Great.

You just single-handedly caused an entire future generation of people to be flushed down the toilet.

Good job, TS.
there is no required pick for pinch harmonics i dont think. you might a lighter gauge of string though. also your technique might be a little bad. look in the lesson sections of UG for help on pinch harmonics

edit: also try tuning back to standard and trying it. your strings might be too slack for you to do pinch harmonics.
I use the same picks as you, and for the most part I can do pinch harmonics anywhere on the fret board. It's easiest to start out with thick picks. I started on 2mm gator grips. Try simply working on your technique for a while and keep practicing, I had a hard time at first too. You have to find the spot on your guitar where you get the best harmonics for each string. Mine seems to be just before the neck pickup for my low E.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
umm
you can try the dunlop jazz III's
they're slightly smaller and thick, so they fit better and in my opinion give you better control
I use Jazz III's, but it really shouldnt matter what pick you use. I can do pinch harmonics with my fingernail too, its just a matter of practice.
It took me a long time before I learned pinch harmonics on the lower strings, the only tip I can give you is to practice. But don't practice only harmonics, try playing different riffs with a harmonic here and there, that will help you find the "sweetspots" where the harmonics are best, and you will also get used to get the harmonics even though your hand is moving around. Hope I am to any help, and good luck with the pinchies!

PS. I actually find it easier to get harmonics with thicker strings, I guess it could be explained that they are easier to hear as the other notes are so low.
Thanks for your advices. Also, I used to have .09 strings and Standard tuning just a couple of months ago and it was still the same. I'll try using 2mm picks then

Quote by Quackles
I use Jazz III's, but it really shouldnt matter what pick you use. I can do pinch harmonics with my fingernail too, its just a matter of practice.
It took me a long time before I learned pinch harmonics on the lower strings, the only tip I can give you is to practice. But don't practice only harmonics, try playing different riffs with a harmonic here and there, that will help you find the "sweetspots" where the harmonics are best, and you will also get used to get the harmonics even though your hand is moving around. Hope I am to any help, and good luck with the pinchies!

PS. I actually find it easier to get harmonics with thicker strings, I guess it could be explained that they are easier to hear as the other notes are so low.

Yeah, I've been trying Laid to Rest by Lamb of God, and yeah I do manage to do a pinch here and there, but which still doesn't sound that great.
Quote by Seryaph
Great.

You just single-handedly caused an entire future generation of people to be flushed down the toilet.

Good job, TS.
Last edited by Kenit at Mar 16, 2008,
use the bridge pup, lots of distortion, and just practice.

it will come with time
i use thin picks for everything and i have no problem with pinch harmonics at all
when i use a thick pick i can do the same
so any pick should be fine
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
a high action always helps.
try it on the 3 fret e string. pick in between the two pickups
Alot of people always do it with their thumbb.

I use my thumb for pinches everywhere from A to the high e, but for the low E, I use my middle finger.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
It could be your pickups. Before I replaced my bridge pickup with a Super Distortion, I could barely do pinch harmonics at all. I'd gotten used to it, and was eventually able to do pinch harmonics easily, but it sounded crappy, still. Don't go running off buying new pickups, though, because that's a BIG "might be".
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Quote by Wanna l3
It could be your pickups. Before I replaced my bridge pickup with a Super Distortion, I could barely do pinch harmonics at all. I'd gotten used to it, and was eventually able to do pinch harmonics easily, but it sounded crappy, still. Don't go running off buying new pickups, though, because that's a BIG "might be".

I can do pinch on the higher strings and do sound "squeely", however the problem seems to be on the A and low E.

Thanks for all advices anyway
Quote by Seryaph
Great.

Good job, TS.
practice.

string gauge and pick dont matter.

practice.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
I use Dunlop 500 2.00 MM and they pinch just fine. Jazz III makes pinch fly all around, but I prefer my 500's
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black